Ok...some more questions from a "Dominican" wannabe..

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
Regarding rent prices...I was offered two apartments in Puerto Plata...

One goes for $500 USD a month, the other one on the beach for $700...

One is in Torre Alta section...anybody can give me any info on the better sections to live in?

Does anybody on this site have any kind of connections with people in the Radio/Television industry?

Thanks for your help!

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
It depends on the size, quality, furnishings & view/location of both apartments you were offered, but US $500 for Torre Alta seems a bit high & US $700 is VERY high for this area.

How many bedrooms do you need? How long do you need it for? Do the places you have been offered include electricity, backup generator, water rates etc? Are they at the "top" of the hill or down the "bottom"? (Think about that for the rainy season!!). Have you tried the Bayardo area? I don't like it, but Costamber is liked by many "Newcomers" in that it is a self enclosed area with lots of Ex-Pats living in it. Prises are getting cheaper there as a lot of people are moving out!!

Re Television - How is your Spanish? Walter Moussa (I'm sure I've spelt that wrong but I have his card somewhere) might be able to give you a few starters if you can speak Spanish, so might the lawyer Dr Messon who regularly goes on local television! If you don't speak Spanish ..... Forget it!!

Get back to me if you think I can help further! - Grahame.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
RE: TV...POP is not exactly a hotbed of television production.

Santiago has four or five stations. If you are in the production end, ovbviously there are many possibilities. But if it is on camara? Well there might be trouble...Work permits etc..

HB

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Prices

For that kind of money you may be disappointed with PP. Have you looked at Costambar (Like GB mentioned), Cofresi? What about Sosua/Cabarete?

I have a friend living in Torre Alta that pays more than $500US, but he is quite happy with it. I wouldn't pay too much to be on the "beach" in PP, simply because I don't like the beach there at all...

The way I see it, you need to rent a place on a month-to-month so that you can take a month or so to decide for yourself. $500 isn't all that bad for high season (if there is such a thing in PP), assuming the place you would be getting is really well set up and fits into your budget. Then hook up with someone like Graeme (since he so graciously offered, as he always does) to help make a more permanent decision.

marc