Calling the US

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Apologies if this is an FAQ. I did some searching, but couldn't find much.

I occasionally have to sit on boring conference calls that chew up 60-90 minutes. I usually use IP calling, but I haven't located a decent enough internet connection for this.

Are there any ways to buy minutes cheap?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Claro has a landline plan, I think it is called Control, that gives DSL service and 400 minutes of calling time per month. Those minutes can be to the US or anywhere in the DR. You pay nothing additional unless you go over the allowed limit. Biggest drawback to the plan is that you can't call cell phones unless you use a Claro calling card.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Sweet. I'll look into that.

The best I've been able to do so far is a T-Mobile cellphone with an INternational Roaming plan. 20 cents/minute.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Claro has a landline plan, I think it is called Control, that gives DSL service and 400 minutes of calling time per month. Those minutes can be to the US or anywhere in the DR. You pay nothing additional unless you go over the allowed limit. Biggest drawback to the plan is that you can't call cell phones unless you use a Claro calling card.

Right, they have another plan with 800 minutes if 400 are not good for you, you can call any land line in the Dominican Republic, and any number in USA and Puerto Rico, If im not wrong is is unlimited plan you can call Canada and other countries too using your local minutes. As we have 7 millions cellphones and only 1 million land lines you can not used the minutes calling cellphones.