International wire from Banco Popular by internet

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Went today to the bank to make a wire to my bank in the Netherlands. My wife always has to join me, because our account in Popular is on her name. Always a long waiting time and a process that takes about half an hour once it's our turn.

To my surprise the receptionist in the bank told me: you can also do it by internet and then it's EUR45 instead of EUR55 if you do it here in the bank.

Just checked and: YES, it's true. No more tedious process to get a wire out. And another reason not to leave Banco Popular even though sometimes they drive me crazy.

Sep 4, 2012
Excellent news for sure, have you completed one successfully?

Is it just one way out or can be accomplished from overseas to BP?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I haven't been able to complete successfully. It says I surpassed the daily limit. Which could be because I had already done some transfers between DOP and USD accounts. Trying to execute it tomorrow.

From overseas to BP always has been possible (depending on originating bank ofcourse) I wired USD from BofA to popular yesterday after office hours and it was on our BP account this morning at 8.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I haven't been able to complete successfully. It says I surpassed the daily limit. Which could be because I had already done some transfers between DOP and USD accounts. Trying to execute it tomorrow.

From overseas to BP always has been possible (depending on originating bank ofcourse) I wired USD from BofA to popular yesterday after office hours and it was on our BP account this morning at 8.

For the past 4-5 years at BP I have been doing all my international transfers via email and a form with my account manager, she sends me the SWIFT confirmation once it has been sent.

I'll look into the online transfers :)

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
For the past 4-5 years at BP I have been doing all my international transfers via email and a form with my account manager, she sends me the SWIFT confirmation once it has been sent.

I'll look into the online transfers :)

I have the complication that the account is on my wife's name....but if the online transfer works fine I can do what I need without hassle, using the token....using internet is EUR10 cheaper too.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo

You are doing bank wire transfers on line from Netherlands? I have never thought to do it from US because I have never seen the option. This would be great to do from DR if possible.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I'm (will be) doing them online from DR, but it wouldn't matter where you are, as long as you have the token with you.

From NL bank or US bank to DR bank always has been possible online, but this would be from banco popular to any US or EU bank, or any other bank using an intermediary bank online, using popularenlinea.com

KITTU

May 13, 2015
Went today to the bank to make a wire to my bank in the Netherlands. My wife always has to join me, because our account in Popular is on her name. Always a long waiting time and a process that takes about half an hour once it's our turn.

To my surprise the receptionist in the bank told me: you can also do it by internet and then it's EUR45 instead of EUR55 if you do it here in the bank.

Just checked and: YES, it's true. No more tedious process to get a wire out. And another reason not to leave Banco Popular even though sometimes they drive me crazy.

Yes the federal bank has facilitated international wire transfers via internet. In banco popular, you have to add the international account i.e. to whom so ever you are transferring money as a benificiario and with the swift code etc is possible now.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Yes the federal bank has facilitated international wire transfers via internet. In banco popular, you have to add the international account i.e. to whom so ever you are transferring money as a benificiario and with the swift code etc is possible now.

The federal bank?? Or do you mean the central bank?

Sep 4, 2012

I know international wire transfers are done from banks overseas to banks in DR; I meant online from the BP site taking the money from a bank overseas, just as we do ACH in the USA. May be not possible yet but will be awesome when times arrive for it.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I know international wire transfers are done from banks overseas to banks in DR; I meant online from the BP site taking the money from a bank overseas, just as we do ACH in the USA. May be not possible yet but will be awesome when times arrive for it.

Either way would be a good thing. I do transfers from my BP account to other BP accounts while in US online with the token.
I would like to be able to move money from my US account to BP account. All I can do now, as far as I know, is take out of ATM. And, the limit each transaction is low and fees high.

I don't like carrying cash from US to here.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Try using xoom.com. It transfers money from any us bank account to banco popular in seconds and is cheap.

Matilda

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Try using xoom.com. It transfers money from any us bank account to banco popular in seconds and is cheap.

Matilda

Only cheap below USD1800 or so, above that a wire is cheaper. Wires from BofA to BP are USD60, instantly (30-60 minutes) and a much better rate (or you transfer usd to usd which with xoom is very expensive.

I switched from ATM to wire when BofA started charging 3% for ATM withdrawals.

Being able to make wires online to BP (at least with BofA) means the ACH is not necessary.

Sep 4, 2012
I would like to be able to move money from my US account to BP account.

Wish it was the case when I purchased my condo, hell, even now -- I had to deal with the tedious wire transfers and the wait time to clear funds, hated it. As far as Xoom, its nice for small amounts.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Could do the online transfer today. Will report back when it arrives on my account in Europe.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Could do the online transfer today. Will report back when it arrives on my account in Europe.
And to my big surprise the money appeared on my Dutch account this afternoon. When I used to handle this through the counter it would take 3-5 working days. Now it arrived the same day. Thumbs up for Banco Popular.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
And to my big surprise the money appeared on my Dutch account this afternoon. When I used to handle this through the counter it would take 3-5 working days. Now it arrived the same day. Thumbs up for Banco Popular.

Do you know the maximum they allow to transfer?

Yes I'm being lazy and I could send them an email... but... LOL

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I also went to Popular to send money back to the UK and after nearly an hour the lady I deal with mentioned that it was now possible online. I have now successfully transferred money twice, it works perfectly, you get an email with the SWIFT confirmation and the money arrives within 48 hours. If anyone else is sending money back to the UK, note that the money will arrive in GBP Sterling whatever currency you choose (I asked for US Dollars and it still was sent in GBP). The fee of US$45 is quite expensive I think, but the exchange rates are good, so it's a great service if you send large-ish amounts. I'm really impressed with Popular internet banking, I do everything with them online. I agree with other posters that their in-branch service can be a little frustrating, but the internet banking is definitely very good.