Sam Mendez in the DR1 News: RIP

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The news is that a military officer and Free Zone executive, Samuel Mendez, took his life Thursday morning in Santiago.

Sammy was a good friend of mine and many in the DR. I've known Sam for years.

Sam was the very well-paid right hand man of Carlito Fuente of the Fuente family cigar fame, and ran the entire large operation in the Santiago Free Zone. He was a tobacco scientist, a family trade, and really the Godfather of the famous premium Opus X cigar. I remember how Sam showed us the secured Opus X curing room with 1.2 million cigars like it was his kids first grade class: pride & protection.

Sam was part of a group of my Dominican motorcycling friends. We'd ride in the MotoCaribe "off season." Sam rode a near-perfect vintage BMW 650GS that he meticulously restored from a rust bucket with love and money; such projects are very difficult in the DR. Two months ago he sold the bike to one of our friends and bought a new 2016 BMW F700GS. Sam was a strong ATGATT believer and wore excellent protection every time he put his leg over his seat.

He was married to the love of his life, an awesome lady he doted on, and had two beautiful, smart kids in grade school.

Sam was an officer in the Dominican Army, a reservist I believe, and he'd always stop in Jarabacoa for a visit coming back from weekend drills in the Capital. He didn't speak much about his Army life.

Sam was one of the nicest, happiest guys I knew, and we had a special bond on many levels. He loved his country, warts and all, and chose living here instead of Tampa where Carlito has another large operation. He was dedicated to making the Santiago Fuente operation a diamond among Free Zones companies. He's the one who set up that factory to look more like a home with numerous "hobby" rooms, instead of a factory.

We had planned to explore the NW by bikes in May, just the two of us, at our speed and not ripping through the countryside like many of our friends like to do.

He seemed to be a guy in love with life, his family, his job and his country.

I cannot describe the shock when I got the phone call from a mutual friend about what happened. We're all in shock. We heard of the note and waited until its release to maybe understand more. But all it did was create more questions.

RIP, Sammy, and Godspeed. I cannot imagine the turmoil you felt that was kept so well hidden while you sat alone in your car and ended your life. You seemed to have it all, so willing to share, so much love and joy and passion and camaraderie to spread around, never a bad word about anyone or anything...but seems that wasn't enough. I can only hope you've been released from your burden.

Grace to all who grieve.

1375315_10151977964171057_94653238_n.jpg

11146312_10152868039043525_1567737787504820599_n.jpg

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know he left a letter saying "simplemente no tengo futuro". it's sad that he was not able to open up and share his worries and feelings with the loved ones. maybe he could have received help he needed.

sit ei terra levis.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
i know he left a letter saying "simplemente no tengo futuro". it's sad that he was not able to open up and share his worries and feelings with the loved ones. maybe he could have received help he needed.

sit ei terra levis.

Something seems strange here. The Cuban that had his position before him was killed. The Cuban was just like him a very nice person. He had an Agro. college degree and was the for runner of the cigar company. So sad two fine men!

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
A friend called me last night from Santiago to tell me the horrible news. I still cant believe it came to this. I mean,
it seemed he had it all. Something is wrong with all of this.
One line in his note said, "to all those who have done harm to me, may life find justice to you"

I knew Samuel from back in college and would run into him from time to time in recent years.
Several things seem wrong.
The note is written on computer(when did he write that, if he did it at all?) with only a final line handwritten,
"simply, I have no future" and then he signs it date and time. That wasnt true. Samuel had a future anyway he would have
wanted it to be.
I must have read that note a thousand times. Something doesn't add up.

How did he pick his final location? why there In the barranquita?
The bullet(or something) hit the BOTTOM of the window of the door, weird angle, and it didnt shatter the glass.
I went to Arturo Fuentes website...not a single mention of the loss and mourning from those people, thats effed up, right?
And now xstew says that a the guy who held the position before Samuel, was killed.

This all seems strange. I wish he would have reached out to somebody if he was getting that desperate. He surely would
have known people that could have helped him. I would like to think that.

I hope the truth comes out soon.

Cobraboy said it perfectly
"RIP, Sammy, and Godspeed. I cannot imagine the turmoil you felt that was kept so well hidden while you sat alone in your car
and ended your life. You seemed to have it all, so willing to share, so much love and joy and passion and camaraderie to
spread around, never a bad word about anyone or anything...but seems that wasn't enough.
I can only hope you've been released from your burden."

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
A friend called me last night from Santiago to tell me the horrible news. I still cant believe it came to this. I mean,
it seemed he had it all. Something is wrong with all of this.
One line in his note said, "to all those who have done harm to me, may life find justice to you"

I knew Samuel from back in college and would run into him from time to time in recent years.
Several things seem wrong.
The note is written on computer(when did he write that, if he did it at all?) with only a final line handwritten,
"simply, I have no future" and then he signs it date and time. That wasnt true. Samuel had a future anyway he would have
wanted it to be.
I must have read that note a thousand times. Something doesn't add up.

How did he pick his final location? why there In the barranquita?
The bullet(or something) hit the BOTTOM of the window of the door, weird angle, and it didnt shatter the glass.
I went to Arturo Fuentes website...not a single mention of the loss and mourning from those people, thats effed up, right?
And now xstew says that a the guy who held the position before Samuel, was killed.

This all seems strange. I wish he would have reached out to somebody if he was getting that desperate. He surely would
have known people that could have helped him. I would like to think that.

I hope the truth comes out soon.

Cobraboy said it perfectly
"RIP, Sammy, and Godspeed. I cannot imagine the turmoil you felt that was kept so well hidden while you sat alone in your car
and ended your life. You seemed to have it all, so willing to share, so much love and joy and passion and camaraderie to
spread around, never a bad word about anyone or anything...but seems that wasn't enough.
I can only hope you've been released from your burden."

This seems like their is reason to investigate thees deaths. Two young men well educated in good jobs dead of bullet wounds. Many years apart but worked for the same company held the same position. Apparently well liked had no apparent problems. Here nothing will be done but in other country's the circumstance would come under investigation. Two dead same company same job same loss of young men about the same age. This stinks.

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
Good to see that cigar press recognizes this talented young man and mourns his loss. What a waste.

http://halfwheel.com/samuel-mendez-gm-of-tabacalera-fuente-dead-at-44/112956

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webf...mendez-found-dead-in-dominican-republic-18747

There was also tv reports from DR TV on youtube but out of respect I will not post link. Disturbing video, taken from afar but disturbing nonetheless.

But you get a better idea of circumstance and location than what is written in the press

Condolences to his family and close friends.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Samuel was a classmate of my daughter throughout highschool and college, and is wife was also a very dear friend
This came as a shock to us all.

Godspeed.

HB