I'm confused about TriCom

lionofjudah

Nov 24, 2014
On Wednesday, I signed a 18 months contract with Tricom for internet, cable and phone service. They came on Friday for installment. Instead of TriCom as my internet provider, I see Orange. Is that normal? Because, I'm trying to work at home on my laptop. I find the internet working very poorly. Do anyone know if I can cancel TriCom and get my money back? I feel that I've been jerked. :mad:

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
They merged, or better said, Altice bought both of them.

Right. However, they seem to be keeping both brands separate (for whatever reasons), in most cases. There may be some special reason why in the case of the OP they are mixing brands.

Kip

Aug 21, 2015
I signed up in the same office on the same day for cell phones and a TV/land line/internet bundle. I get separate bills (Orange for cell, TriCom for everything else), and can't pay either at the other's office....

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
On Wednesday, I signed a 18 months contract with Tricom for internet, cable and phone service. They came on Friday for installment. Instead of TriCom as my internet provider, I see Orange. Is that normal? Because, I'm trying to work at home on my laptop. I find the internet working very poorly. Do anyone know if I can cancel TriCom and get my money back? I feel that I've been jerked. :mad:

If you are supposed to get internet off the cable, was the connection checked prior to signing the contract, or did the technician check it?

For cancellation, have you asked them? What does the contract say?

As others say, their vans could be cross-promoting Tricom/Orange, but did you question this on Friday?

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
There's a definite mixing of resources going on with the two. I was logged into orange.com.do to get a copy of my phone bill. When the orange bill displayed on screen, the URL was a tricom.com web server.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
It's normal for mergers and acquisitions. Think of it like fiances getting rid of one of their condos when they marry.

There's a definite mixing of resources going on with the two. I was logged into orange.com.do to get a copy of my phone bill. When the orange bill displayed on screen, the URL was a tricom.com web server.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
It's normal for mergers and acquisitions.
Right. But keeping both brands has the advantage that at some point they could decide to separate both again, for example by selling one of the two to another group, or by "spin-off".
Once both companies/brands are fully merged that possibility disappears.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
The terms of the agreement that merged the two companies may or may not have included rights to the registered trade names. In either case, a subsequent transaction could revive the Tricom name in the Dominican market. The Orange trade name is multinational, so I doubt Altice would be able to use it beyond the Dominican Republic.

Right. But keeping both brands has the advantage that at some point they could decide to separate both again, for example by selling one of the two to another group, or by "spin-off".
Once both companies/brands are fully merged that possibility disappears.