Paypal and Banco Popular problem

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
Is anyone else having a problem with transferring money?

I successfully linked my account 2 weeks ago. No problem but when I go to transfer money I get a 1801 error code.
This is after going through all the screens and inputting the token code on the final screen.

Paypal says there is no problem. Popular says the problem is Paypal. Typical.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Can't comment on Paypal with Banco Popular, but yesterday I tried several times to use my foreign card in several Popular ATMs to make a withdrawal. When the screen asking if you accept the 195dop charge comes up, I pressed yes, then the machine froze. I had to wait a while before it ejected my card. Several other foreigners in the queue had similar problems.

Perhaps they are experiencing some foreign banking problems.

jefe de la finca

Sep 28, 2012
Can't comment on Paypal with Banco Popular, but yesterday I tried several times to use my foreign card in several Popular ATMs to make a withdrawal. When the screen asking if you accept the 195dop charge comes up, I pressed yes, then the machine froze. I had to wait a while before it ejected my card. Several other foreigners in the queue had similar problems.

Perhaps they are experiencing some foreign banking problems.

Exactly the same thing happened to me when I tried using the ATM next to Papaterra in Gaspar Hernandez last Friday. Went back again yesterday, same thing. Seems to be a big glitch in the system somewhere.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
and now most progreso atms say please insert card after already inserted. Doesn't work and nobody cares to fix it. One in Nacional been that way for 8 months

Kathyaa586

Mar 23, 2011
I use it from a US dollar account to a peso account. It takes anywhere from 5-7 days to come in but I haven't had any problems with it.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Wrx2005

Jul 7, 2014
Is anyone else having a problem with transferring money?

I successfully linked my account 2 weeks ago. No problem but when I go to transfer money I get a 1801 error code.
This is after going through all the screens and inputting the token code on the final screen.

Paypal says there is no problem. Popular says the problem is Paypal. Typical.
I have Banco Popular. And I have transferred money. But before I can transfer money to my BP account, I have to fund my PayPal account from my USA bank. That part takes about 4 days. Once PayPal has the funds from my USA account, then I am able to transfer that money from PayPal into my BP account. That may take an additional 4 days.

In other words. I cant simply transfer money from PayPal to BP, until I fund the PayPal account 1st with my USA bank.

In your post you didnt say whether or not your PayPal account was funded already with a balance/credit?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I have Banco Popular. And I have transferred money. But before I can transfer money to my BP account, I have to fund my PayPal account from my USA bank. That part takes about 4 days. Once PayPal has the funds from my USA account, then I am able to transfer that money from PayPal into my BP account. That may take an additional 4 days.

In other words. I cant simply transfer money from PayPal to BP, until I fund the PayPal account 1st with my USA bank.

In your post you didnt say whether or not your PayPal account was funded already with a balance/credit?

www.xoom.com is a service of Paypal at present. If transferring direct from your US bank account it takes less than 24 hours. This is after the first time, which may take 3 days, But I sat at my computer about 3:00 AM on a Sunday and picked up the money before 10:00 AM on Monday inside of Banco Popular.
My experience last week.
Der Fish

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I am getting transfers weekly from PayPal to BPD. Never a problem. Takes 4 days. (Tuesday sent Sunday in account). Only one time it took them 6 days with more than 50 weekly transfers done so far. Works smooth for me.
Of course that can change from one day to the other. Don't forget where we are... ;)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Can a US PayPal account be used to send US dollars to a US dollar account at Banco Popular?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Can a US PayPal account be used to send US dollars to a US dollar account at Banco Popular?

Exact question I had. More specifically do they give you the exact Dollar amount in US Dollars, or do they do the Peso exchange
game at a bad rate?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I am getting the exact dollar amount I transfer minus the 10 USD transfer fee they charge. You can opt into what account you want the transfer. Just choose your USD account at BPD and thats it. If you elect the DOP account of course you have to cope with the exchange rate.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Yes I gave up on Banco Popular -paypal link...it is ok for money coming in and no good at all for money leaving the DR.. I was told that all branches can facilitate this link for money coming into the DR but only a very few branches for money going out

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Exact question I had. More specifically do they give you the exact Dollar amount in US Dollars, or do they do the Peso exchange
game at a bad rate?

Paypal itself charges a fee, I don't remember how much.
Der Fish

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Yes I gave up on Banco Popular -paypal link...it is ok for money coming in and no good at all for money leaving the DR.. I was told that all branches can facilitate this link for money coming into the DR but only a very few branches for money going out

are you saying you cannot send money from your PAYPAL thats linked with BP? or you cannot transfer moneys received into paypal, to your BP account?

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I am saying that I could not send money from paypal that was linked with my BP account. I have Paypal linked to an account I have with a bank in Australia ..and it is very very easy ...if you are wondering why Australia..my late wife was from Australia .

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I am saying that I could not send money from paypal that was linked with my BP account. I have Paypal linked to an account I have with a bank in Australia ..and it is very very easy ...if you are wondering why Australia..my late wife was from Australia .

I have been topping up paypal with my DR Scotia for yeras just cannot send $$ from paypal back to Scotia. This is why BP did the deal with Paypal which would make it the only bank that actually allows you to do this. I was going to open an acct there for this reason but , now i wondering if its just another big "Dominican Fugasi" (Sorry Virgo cover your ears). The countries largest bank doing this deal yet not actually fulfilling their role does sound very likely and typical here. Has anyone else had issues with this?

Wrx2005

Jul 7, 2014
www.xoom.com is a service of Paypal at present. If transferring direct from your US bank account it takes less than 24 hours. This is after the first time, which may take 3 days, But I sat at my computer about 3:00 AM on a Sunday and picked up the money before 10:00 AM on Monday inside of Banco Popular.
My experience last week.
Der Fish
Since PayPal is not involved, how much does it cost to transfer money directly from your US bank account to your Banco Popular account in the DR?

Wrx2005

Jul 7, 2014
Yes. While you are on the Banco Popular website, in the PayPal section, you can choose which account the money goes to. For me, the money is already in US dollars coming from PayPal. So there is no conversion necessary if I designate the US account of BP to receive the funds. If I choose my peso account, there is a 1 dollar conversion charge. And yes you are at the mercy of whatever rate you get. But from what I recall, the exchange rate wasnt that bad.

One could put the money in the US account, maybe do a transfer to the peso account online and see how the rate differs. Or make a trip to the bank, and withdraw from the US account, but ask for pesos.

Last edited: