Mediocrity, a function of expectations?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I am often disillusioned by the results of work I have done here.

Case in Point - New storm door:

Arranged to have a new screen door made. Half glass, half screen to facilitate a cross breeze in the house. I specifically asked that there be a way to lock the new door but acknowledged that any such lock was merely decorative as anyone who wanted in could just put their hand through the screen.

Door arrived, with no automatic closer, "blow open" spring stop, exterior or interior latching handle. My bad, I just assumed that all screen doors everywhere in the world are exactly the same, with a door closer and a mechanism to keep the door from being ripped from hits hinges if caught by a strong wind and whipped open. You don't need to tell me I am a fool.

Door was installed using cheap kitchen cupboard contact latches and a cupboard handle on each side of the door. All my 100lb Rottie needs to do is bump the door and it flies open and he is off to the races chasing the cats in the neighborhood. No way to lock the door closed so the dogs can't bump it open. The local solution was to install a sliding latch at the bottom of the door. The latch they produced was too large for the application and there is no way I am bending over and touching my ankles every time I wish to open the door.

All of the required items to make this door a functional NA type storm door should be arriving at the freight forwarder in Miami from Amazon today.

Case #2:

Had a window-well cover made to keep leaves from falling into the window-well and clogging the drain at the bottom. They came up with an effective design but chose to cover the frame with metal screening that rusts. Of course, 6 weeks later, it looks like woodland camouflage and in another couple of months will be be completely rust red. Who would even think of using materials that rust in any project near the sea or in an environment where the ambient humidity often approaches 80%+?

I have lots of examples of very short-sighted workmanship and attempts to make do with tools that are completely unsuited for the task at hand. In every case, the end result could easily be 100% better than what they achieved with very little extra cost or time involved. What is the root cause of this lack of professionalism and quality workmanship. Is it indifference, a lack of basic knowledge or an unwillingness consider the concept that those paying for something expect the best possible quality. Why are options not presented to the buyer at the time the project requirements are discussed. How hard is it to say, that metal screening available here will rust in 6 months, it might be better to go with nylon screen? Would you like an automatic door closer for that new door?

I give up. There is a lot to be said for doing things yourself if at all possible.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ah Buster, poor Buster

I had a screen door made... no glass...
nylon screen, spring closer from Amazon

with the old fashioned spring closer, my door
slams sound like Lassie has just bolted from the kitchen to do some good deed somewhere.

I like the sound of a screen door slamming on a spring
Reminds me of my childhood.

get one of those 'U' shped things that grabs the door....

your hydraulic closer will fail quickly in this climate, I fear

the best laid plans of.......

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Hope this is not too far off topic, but my car's battery needed charging. Back in real life 3 out of every 4 men have a battery charger, Here I went to 3 actual mechanic shops before I found one which had a battery charger!
I had bought a battery charger at La Sirena,but I bought the 800 peso model (cheapest one) thinking I would not be using it much, but the second time i needed it it didn't work!
Der Fish

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I had bought a battery charger at La Sirena,but I bought the 800 peso model (cheapest one) thinking I would not be using it much, but the second time i needed it it didn't work!
Der Fish

You are unlucky, you must have bought the one I just returned..........

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
It is funny people go to other countries because they are different than the one they are in and then want to change them into the countries they just came from.
I hear people complaining about everything is different here they don?t show up on time they don?t make igloos like we did. Why are you here if what you wanted only is available in the country you just left? Sometimes I get frustrated at what is not here and then thank god for what is

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Expect the quality of materials to be bad and the work needing constant supervision.

Adjust/Adapt/Supervise accordingly.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Go pour yourself a stiff Brugal, smile, take a deep breath and add these things to why you moved here.
Its all part of the cartoon world we choose to live in.
Better make that 2 Brugals.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
It's hard to explain why they cannot do proper jobs here. I suppose it's a combination of:

Laziness - Example would be that when you inspect the engine of your car after repair you notice a bolt or two missing. When you try to install said bolt, it takes 30 mins or so, scraped knuckles and a lot of swearing, but you persevere and get the bolt in. With Dominicans if it's too hard, they won't try.

Lack of professionalism or pride in ones work. - Something that astounds me, that when they present a job done and you point out all the snags. Why does it take the customer to point out the snags when they are so blaringly obvious.

Lack of education. - I once asked a qualified aircraft mechanic how much a litre of water weighs in kilograms. His answer was seven pounds! He was an aircraft mechanic and supposed to have a half decent level of education.

Something else I have noticed is that repeat work usually ends in disappointment when the first job he did for you was good. The second time always seems to be crap. Never been able to understand that.

And as far as materials / spare parts go, you're usually better off sourcing your own or importing. The Dominicans meaning of a brand new engine for instance is one that looks clean on the outside (ie de-greased with a power washer) The fact that it has zero compression, burns oil and rattles is irrelevant, it's still brand new!

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Another trait I forgot to mention was arrogance. I have hardly ever seen a Dominican professional skilled worker consult any sort of manual or instructions. They see it as if they have failed if they need to look for answers in a book. The arrogance extends to the point that they believe that their knowledge and level of experience far exceeds that of the manufacturer.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Another trait I forgot to mention was arrogance. I have hardly ever seen a Dominican professional skilled worker consult any sort of manual or instructions. They see it as if they have failed if they need to look for answers in a book. The arrogance extends to the point that they believe that their knowledge and level of experience far exceeds that of the manufacturer.

I recently had our staircase fixed and painted. Coming week the guy has to come to paint it for the third time because he's too arrogant to accept that I was right when I told him that the description of the paint clearly says it has to be applied by roller or brush. He comes with his compressor and wants to spray it.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
When it comes to painting, I have yet to see anyone wash and degrease the surface before applying the new paint. Of course it peels and chips away in short order.

Bloomhaven

Apr 19, 2007
Quality is an unknown concept here

This is one of my biggest frustrations with living here.

A factor that no one has mentioned is that you can't value what you don't know. Workmen who have lived their entire lives in the DR have never encountered professionalism or quality of work/products that even comes close to approaching what we are familiar with in our home countries. So how can they deliver a standard of workmanship that they have never known? The shoddy work that they do for you is the same that they do for themselves. It's sad. But remembering that helps me be patient with them when I want to scream and tear my hair out.

Do whatever you can yourself, order your own parts, and when you need to engage a Dominican worker, explain how you want it done and then supervise closely. Be patient, and don't expect too much. (Interestingly, I have found that often - but not always - Haitian workers are more inclined to cooperate when you want something done a particular way, and might even continue to do it the way you asked when you aren't watching.)