new equipment for CESTUR in POP

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Good news for the North Coast. Not to keep repeating myself, but this is also probably attributed to the Carnival deal.

Of course the President pats his own back but that's how it works. The more exposure by Cestur the better for everybody.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Probably the best thing for CESTUR would be a bit of education. There are a lot of young Dominican men and ladies who speak English, recruit them if they are supposed to be tourist police. Then teach them a little about the city. I have seen several times where English speakers were trying to find something in the city and I with my stumbling Spanish inserted myself into the conversation to help the two sides understand each other. A couple was looking for the Cathedral. Twenty steps away from the shadow of the building we were under one could see the Cathedral, but the 3 Cestur persons couldn't understand the word Cathedral although it is quite close to the Spanish word.
Der Fish

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Not to keep repeating myself, but this is also probably attributed to the Carnival deal.

the ambulance is probably attributed to the murder of the german guy on the malecon. back then the government promised an ambulance for cestur. glad to see they kept their word.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
They have a much higher profile in Playa Dorada these days. New members, new motorcycles, etc. Also saw them in Luperon a beach a few weeks ago. First time I've ever seen them there. A new Tourism Ministry building is under construction to the right of the main Playa Dorada gate. Was told it was a combined Tourism, Cestur headquarters building. Security is a lot tighter at the main Playa Dorada gate these days. Someone has the governments ear. Probably the Brugal family. They are investing in condos, and promoting their products at concerts at the mall on the weekend.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Probably the best thing for CESTUR would be a bit of education. There are a lot of young Dominican men and ladies who speak English, recruit them if they are supposed to be tourist police. Then teach them a little about the city. I have seen several times where English speakers were trying to find something in the city and I with my stumbling Spanish inserted myself into the conversation to help the two sides understand each other. A couple was looking for the Cathedral. Twenty steps away from the shadow of the building we were under one could see the Cathedral, but the 3 Cestur persons couldn't understand the word Cathedral although it is quite close to the Spanish word.
Der Fish

Excellent point. Usually the greatest danger is ignorance of the danger. In Florida, we had many tragic deaths from tourists unaware of dangers lurking in the surf. It seems to happen too often here as well.