Transport Cartel

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
From DR1 News
I do wonder how he was able to say this without laughing his AZZ off.

Transport cartels reject removal of "conchos"

Many of the country's transport cartels as well shared taxi drivers have described the recent proposal made by CONATRA for the authorities to remove some 40,000 junk vehicles from the roads of Greater Santo Domingo and Santiago as "inconsiderate and antidemocratic." Drivers on many of the main routes in Santo Domingo, along Winston Churchill, Bolivar, San Martin, 27 Febrero, Maximo Gomez and Duarte avenues rejected the accusation that the "anarchy and vehicular disorder existing in public transportation are caused by the conchos (shared taxis)."

Alfredo Pulinario Linares (Cambita), the president of one of the associations, said that more than 22,000 cars are affiliated to his organization. He told reporters from El Nacional newspaper that it is a blatant lie that conchos are the cause of the disorder and traffic jams in the National District and Greater Santo Domingo.

The blatant lie is that they don't. I would go with ignoring traffic laws, stopping where the hell ever
they want to. And general disregard of the public this would be the inconsiderate portion.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
2a9yw7m.jpg

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Seriously?
I can?t imagine life in either one of these cities (having lived in both) without
these idiots. Besides, if you think crime is bad here now, think of what it would
be like with 40,000 + unemployed concho drivers sitting around all day with no way to eek
out a (some what) decent living for themselves and their families. Ouch! :cheeky:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Seriously?
I can?t imagine life in either one of these cities (having lived in both) without these idiots.

conatra did not suggest to simply remove them full stop. here is the article about that:
http://elnacional.com.do/conatra-plantea-sacar-40-mil-carros-sistema/

En tanto, el empresario del transporte, Antonio Marte, estim? que se deben producir pac?fica y ordenadamente los cambios en el transporte, para que se transforme en un sistema de masificaci?n con la salida de m?s de 40 mil carros p?blicos e introducir autobuses que garanticen a los usuarios un transporte c?modo, seguro y barato, con corredores y rutas colectoras y recolectoras que supla la demanda de asientos.

marte is a PoS but it's the only way forward for transport companies and he is simply lining up to be the first to get the biggest slice of cake. the cars can be replaced by small buses. there will be still quite enough of work for drivers and cobradores. there would be also jobs in maintenance (did i just say that?), security and control. transport sindicates could use their usual pull to force the government to pension the oldest workers.

i mean... it works in other countries, right? the problem is in implementation, not in the concept as such.

Ducadista

Nov 7, 2011
Valeu Cara!
I have noticed that in the D.N. it is more common to see motorcycle riders where helmets, have lights and license plates than a city like La Vega. Perhaps it is due to the fact that police in the D.N. conducts motorcycle stops at check points, your riding illegal ? Consider your ride confiscated.

Why not have the same check points, but for conchos. No lights, papers and/or bumpers, your rust bucket is towed, simple.

My 2 cents. ....

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
That sounds simple, and I wish they would, but the big problem is the mafia the transportation sector is. About a year ago I think Amet were enforcing the rule that conchos can't use the express ways, as a response the carros publicos blocked kennedy and 27 for a few hours and Amet backed down.

When Amet hassle the carros publicos too much, the sindicatos will make sure they back down.

I'd become a dominican citizen if a presidential candidate stands up who guarantees he will deal with the transportation mafia and vote for him.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
That sounds simple, and I wish they would, but the big problem is the mafia the transportation sector is. About a year ago I think Amet were enforcing the rule that conchos can't use the express ways, as a response the carros publicos blocked kennedy and 27 for a few hours and Amet backed down.

When Amet hassle the carros publicos too much, the sindicatos will make sure they back down.

I'd become a dominican citizen if a presidential candidate stands up who guarantees he will deal with the transportation mafia and vote for him.

Yes would have been a great time to call in the military, and all the grua's they could round up. But as you say nobody dicks
with the Mafia