Calling engineers for question about venting generator exhaust

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
As many of the typical 4-6 story apartments have diesel generators for power outages and are located at the corner of the 1st floor semi covered parking.The exhaust fumes go up and dangerously close to all the bedroom windows,
Whats the best way to reroute the exhaust?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
It should extend past the highest point or roofline. But who's going to pay for that?

Is this your building or one you're thinking of moving into?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
In what would be considered a permanent installation, the exhaust should be vented above the level of roof. There are no technical standards enforced here so anyone can do what they want. Where I come from the use of a portable (with wheels) generator would not be permitted to be used in this way.

Sep 4, 2012
As many of the typical 4-6 story apartments have diesel generators for power outages and are located at the corner of the 1st floor semi covered parking.The exhaust fumes go up and dangerously close to all the bedroom windows,
Whats the best way to reroute the exhaust?

Proper engineer codes in the USA calls for at the very least 3 feet past the highest point of the roof, but then again, this is DR and everything is possible.

With that being said, the house I lived in while there was actually equipped with the same type of generator and surprisingly it was vented correctly through pipes above the roof level.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have never seen a planta exhaust vented above an apartment building roof line in the DR.

Shut your bedroom windows.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
You can use, what we call, smoke pipe. It's single wall, one end is crimpted and they just go together. Ochoa or stores like that have it. It's the cheapest way to vent it outside.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
ALL Gen Sets I have ever seen.. have always been in an Open Area.. Diesels require a lot of Moving Air to run properly.
If there is any Concern, Merely placing a FAN to blow the exhaust out into the open should be enough.. and yes ,when the Gen kicks on , close your windows and you should be fine.
I also dont think anyone is going to Vent an exhaust pipe all the way to the Roof, with all the costs involved with that.
Most Generators are Noisy enough that you know when they are on... Should be a non issue in most cases, unless I guess the wind is blowing the wrong direction, in that case get out of there for the time its running.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
ALL Gen Sets I have ever seen.. have always been in an Open Area.. Diesels require a lot of Moving Air to run properly.
If there is any Concern, Merely placing a FAN to blow the exhaust out into the open should be enough.. and yes ,when the Gen kicks on , close your windows and you should be fine.
I also dont think anyone is going to Vent an exhaust pipe all the way to the Roof, with all the costs involved with that.
Most Generators are Noisy enough that you know when they are on... Should be a non issue in most cases, unless I guess the wind is blowing the wrong direction, in that case get out of there for the time its running.

wow all the costs etc a hotel doing well renting rooms can certainely conform to standards....no matter how much a piece of exhaust pipe installed costs...

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
wow all the costs etc a hotel doing well renting rooms can certainely conform to standards....no matter how much a piece of exhaust pipe installed costs...

Stainless Steel Flex pipe to the Roof would be the way to go. Lasts forever, never rusts . I have my Stove chimney Liner done that way.. But its the DR. you know how that goes.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A developed society sets and enforces standards of practiced that are supposed to ensure the safety of those who might be affected by the actions of another. These standards obviously increase costs but compliance protects the health and safety of everyone. Having backup power is good, killing the child or causing ongoing health problems for the person sleeping in the first floor bedroom not so good.

After one contemplates the safety and health concerns posed by this situation, all avenues of discourse with the property owner are exhausted, there are two solutions within the affected persons control. Either move to a safer apartment or fix the problem yourself. Those who can vote with their feet should do so and those that can't can or won't, either live with it or fix it.

In the end it's up to you. On several occasions since moving here I have faced serious safety situations with the properties I was living in. Sometimes, for the piece of mind, I just paid out of my own pocket to have the issue corrected because its importance superseded the option of doing nothing. If the cost of moving all your stuff coupled with the inconvenience of doing so comes close to the cost of installing a vent up the side of a building...

In the DR, you have to take responsibility for your own well being and act accordingly because no one is presently mandated to do that for you.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
its a condo I own and im on the top 6th floor so it doesnt really bother me because the exhaust pipe id 6 inches above generator, I was just more concerned with the families with babies below.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Gotta cover up that diesel exhaust.

How does one propose to do that ?
If its a 15KW unit, but more likely a 30kw. it moves a lot of air. & Exhaust, you cant just cover it and direct it out. it has to be vented or blown out with a Fan.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
get a muffler shop to build a long a** muffler pointing away from the building, with chrome tips!!! Whats the height anyway?

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
If you get a window fan blowing out, you will eliminate going in the apartment.

Major cities use the generator on the roof, with a wide smoke stack as an exhaust. its placed in an enclosed room,
with a wall of blinds that open when the generator is on. air is forced out of these vents, away from the property.