Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default buying a NEW ATV/QUAD in the DR - experiences

Does anyone out there have a recent experience buying a NEW ATV/QUAD in the Dominican Republic?
    (not a motorcycle)

Though we live in Las Terrenas, I had the following questions:

* Normally, what type of discount typically is offered on a $8000 - $10,000 new quad if it's in stock?
    * Are test drives out of the question? I asked for one in the local ATV dealer in LT and they looked at me as if I was on drugs.
    * Is it worthwhile to take a journey to Santo Domingo considering the toll road plus shipping the quad back up to LT?
    * If I buy a quad in a different city, will the local dealer fix it under warranty assuming they carry the same brand?
    * Has anyone bought a new quad in the DR recently and liked it? What brand & model was it?
    * I noticed that many of the new quads in LT offered for sale are indeed brand new but 1-3 years old in the manufacturing date. Why?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Stay away from the Chinese and Korean stuff. Its junk. Warranty on an off road ATV is something that will probably never happen here. I could barely get it in Canada on a new RZR.

As far as the VINs being 1 or 2 years old the manufacturers will often ship slow moving inventory here at a reduced price to the distributor but those savings are not passed on to the consumer.

3. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't buy a new one. Now that low season is here you will find lots of used quads for great prices. Look in the local ads / on the street. Buy preferably from a gringo, take a mecanic if you don't know what to look for. Test drive obvious! Go for a Yamaha Grizzly or Suzuki Kingquad.

5. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

u will always do better w/ reco brands jap stuff...the china brands are not really up to quality standards ....
    as you other questions....most dont service nothing
    this is d.r.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by melphis View Post
    Stay away from the Chinese and Korean stuff. Its junk. Warranty on an off road ATV is something that will probably never happen here. I could barely get it in Canada on a new RZR.

As far as the VINs being 1 or 2 years old the manufacturers will often ship slow moving inventory here at a reduced price to the distributor but those savings are not passed on to the consumer.
    Chinese has come a long way in the last 10 years. Most of the pasolas you see here are from China. The Cesture ride Chinese ATVs. I have 4 Chinese ATVs and am very happy with them. I never would have bought them 5 years ago, but now they are in the game. I don't think you can compare the power to a Yamaha or Polaris though.....but the price is also more than half. If in LT, he will riding the streets anyway.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Seamonkey View Post
    Chinese has come a long way in the last 10 years. Most of the pasolas you see here are from China. The Cesture ride Chinese ATVs. I have 4 Chinese ATVs and am very happy with them. I never would have bought them 5 years ago, but now they are in the game. I don't think you can compare the power to a Yamaha or Polaris though.....but the price is also more than half. If in LT, he will riding the streets anyway.
    what sort of money are we talking about to buy chinese atv versus a better quality atv

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

We bought a new one last year in LT. The cost of getting one from SD outweighed the savings we could make plus it was just less hassle.
    At the time we knew people with the Chinese ones and they were not reliable and didn't seem to like the rain, so in the end went for Suzuki.

We bought from the place on the main street, between super pola and lindo. Chose the one we wanted, Paid by bank transfer and had them sort insurance, all done in a few hours.

One thing you must do is get the engine management unit moved. Mine originally sat under the seat and people just lift the seat and take them. That's $500+ gone. I got the shop to move it under the bodywork so you can't reach it without taking the bike apart ;-)
    That place also sells spare parts (filters etc) and accessories (lights, mirrors etc).

IMHO, if you buy second hand from the many places that rent, it's going to have been hammered. Won't have been run in and will have been driven hard.

Good luck,
    Roy

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought a new Loncin ATV. Around the $3K USD mark. My reasoning, I can buy 3 of these for the price of a Japanese name brand, drive them hard, not worry too much about banging them up, parts are available and if the whole atv is carted away in the middle of the night it's only $3K instead of $10K.

11. Likes 2020 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "engine management unit" ?

Quote Originally Posted by DRDreamer72 View Post
    We bought a new one last year in LT. The cost of getting one from SD outweighed the savings we could make plus it was just less hassle.
    At the time we knew people with the Chinese ones and they were not reliable and didn't seem to like the rain, so in the end went for Suzuki.

We bought from the place on the main street, between super pola and lindo. Chose the one we wanted, Paid by bank transfer and had them sort insurance, all done in a few hours.

One thing you must do is get the engine management unit moved. Mine originally sat under the seat and people just lift the seat and take them. That's $500+ gone. I got the shop to move it under the bodywork so you can't reach it without taking the bike apart ;-)
    That place also sells spare parts (filters etc) and accessories (lights, mirrors etc).

IMHO, if you buy second hand from the many places that rent, it's going to have been hammered. Won't have been run in and will have been driven hard.

Good luck,
    Roy
    The "engine management unit" do you mean the controller or ECM - electronic control module?
    That is a great tip...but where exactly is it moved to?
    How much did the place you bought it from charge you to do it?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    I bought a new Loncin ATV. Around the $3K USD mark. My reasoning, I can buy 3 of these for the price of a Japanese name brand, drive them hard, not worry too much about banging them up, parts are available and if the whole atv is carted away in the middle of the night it's only $3K instead of $10K.
    Which model Loncin ATV was it?
    For $3000.00 is that 2wd or 4wd?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast