Scuba diving certification...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I'm looking to get my scuba license on my next trip, so a few questions about the process-

1) Where is a good place on the North Coast (Puerto Plata/Sosua/Cabarete area) to receive the certification? What are the costs involved in getting certified?

2) What type of gear would I need to bring with me, or can I rent the equipment I need from the place that offers the certification?

3) Which beach on the North Coast offers the best scuba diving experience for beginners?

I'm not necessarily married to the idea of getting my certification in this particular area, but I figured if I'll be there might as well do it there. Anywhere else anyone can recommend, like the Samana/Las Terrenas area, would be good too.

Thanks in advance.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
North Coast Divers, Sosua.

They'll take care of everything, top to bottom.

habi

Oct 17, 2015
Hi Berzin!
You will find everything you need at Sosua Beach! One of the best dive site for beginners the 3 Rocks only a few minutes away...
Don't worry about the equipment, it is normally included in the beginner certification.

If you like to know more details about the course and prise feel free to pm me!

Regards,

Habi

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Nope, it's north coast divers. Sorry don't have a link. I'll google it. They're in Sosua on pedro clisante

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
A technical question-can you use the same mask, fins, and snorkel for scuba and snorkeling, or are they both different?

Last edited:

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Yes you can use the same mask ,snorkel and Definitely the same Fins.
Practice CLEARING your mask.. fill it with water, go down a couple feet, and practice clearing it. possibly one of the most important things you need to learn.
In a pool , you can even practice completely taking the mask off ( underwater). adjust straps, clean inside, and put back on.. You should be able to do this without effort if you do it a couple times.
Use your favorite Snorkel so you dont waste Tank AIR when floating on the surface.
If I were you I would invest in a Nice Regulator setup ( first and 2nd Stage), which you will need to be intimately comfortable with.
It may take you hours at a dive shop to pick one out you really like enough to Purchase.. Rentals work fine and are workhorses, but its really nice to have your own.
THE BC you can rent. No need to lug that around just jet. but eventually you WILL buy one and also get very comfortable with it.
The Regulator is the HEART of Scuba diving.. focus on that, imo. there are so many to choose from, and some have very unique purposes and capabilities.

Last edited:

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I'll go along with the Northern Coast diving recommendation as well. I did mine with them and they have good kit and great instructors.
You don't need to bring anything.Mike will sort it all out.

Count around $800 (I think,but it may have changed since) for the full course all included.Plenty of dive places around Sosua including a wreck and an artificial reef which is great to watch getting populated.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Yes you can use the same mask, fins and snorkel. The fins depend on how cold the water is - if not cold then you can get ones you slip on to bare feet and if cold you will need boots and fins which fit over boots. Re. the mask, to test it make sure it stays on when you don't have the strap in place. Breathe in through nose and hold face down - it shouldn't fall off. They also come with a layer of silicone, so if it steams up after the first time you wear it, despite cleaning with spit, then use a lighter to burn off the silicone on the inside then clean with toothpaste.

Matilda (ex dive instructor)

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I used northern diving also and they managed to help someone who doesnt like getting their head wet take their first dive ;-)

The first short lesson is in the pool before you do a proper dive later the same afternoon if required.

You get a certificate for the first dive and you can go on to become certified,....I didnt bother as I decided it probably wasnt for me lol

Last edited by a moderator:

karnes

Sep 26, 2013
A technical question-can you use the same mask, fins, and snorkel for scuba and snorkeling, or are they both different?

Before you take the mask diving please check it is tempered glass... If not it will break at depth....

Don't know much about diving in Sousa but if you want information about Punta Cana let me know...
Been here 7 years working as a dive instructor

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Karnes-thanks but I'm not going to be in the Punta Cana area during my next visit. In fact, I'll be nowhere near the area, and travelling back and forth will be impossible logistically.

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
Hi, you mentioned Las Terrenas may be an option.
If you were to come here, then The Dive Academy (tdalasterrenas.com) is worth a look at. Some local sites but you also have access to Samana (nice little wreck in 12m) and Las Galleras (pretty reefs) and Dudu lake is also quite cool.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i do not want to start a separate thread about it since you guys are talking about the usage and maintenance of snorkeling/diving/swimming equipment...

i have a quick question. i am swimming using cheap snorkeling mask (i use contact lenses and don't want to lose them or get eye infection). after maybe 15 minutes of swimming the mask gets a bit foggy. is there anything to keep the mask clean all the time? should i invest in a better one? if yes, what would you recommend, seeing that i will likely only use it in pools, shallow water?

diving course is one of my dreams but unfortunately i cannot swim all that well and would probably pee my pants from fear in the open ocean too... on the other hand i did one diving trip in sosua and it was fun, i did not pee and i was even worse swimmer back then. so maybe i have a chance :)