Green wheat sprouts and/or fresh walnuts

SARAH KATZ

Jul 20, 2011
Does anyone know of a source of germinated wheat sprouts or where I could obtain the seeds (to germinate)?

Anyone have/know of a source of fresh walnuts?

Based on the N.Coast but happy to arrange from anywhere.

Many thanks.

SARAH KATZ

Jul 20, 2011
Hmm! I know - hence my query/ies......................maybe imports?

Amazingly plenty of not-grown-in-the-DR produce is available here in the DR too :-z

May 29, 2006
I know, you have to look all over just to get grass fed organic butter... I haven't even seen tofu.. Crazy huh?

What some expats expect simply baffles me. Trader Joe's ain't coming anytime soon. Mi esposa is having me bring down cashews, and she's Dominican!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Nacional and Pola in our area almost always have tofu, either in the fancy foods section or in the fridges near the dairy products.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Nacional and Pola in our area almost always have tofu, either in the fancy foods section or in the fridges near the dairy products.
I have seen tofu in La Sirena (Pto Pta). Not sure if it is always on offer as not looking for it.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I have seen tofu in La Sirena (Pto Pta). Not sure if it is always on offer as not looking for it.

Walnuts, too, in very small and very expensive pots.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The best-by dates are always fine - I always check them. Several people I know here cook with tofu, not just vegetarians/vegans and not all foreign.
I once saw the owner of a local Asian restaurant buying several packages at once, so they must account for some of the sales.

To the OP: I have an idea that wheat sprouts sometimes appear in Nacional as well, so might be an idea to check out your nearest branch.
Walnuts are available too but I hardly ever buy them because of the price.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
They don't grow wheat or walnuts in the DR... Cashews, yes, walnuts no.

The grow both in the DR. Just not for large commercial exports but local use alone on walnuts.

The type of walnut Most common here is the Juglans jamaicensis variety.

Also there's a lot of nutmeg operations in the DR.

An organic type of wheat grown in the DR is aimed at export only. It's cheaper to import it (non organic) in great quantities than grow it here, hence why the small amount only for export and organic.

image.jpeg