Bringing my dog for vacation in DR?

WhiteCat

Jan 7, 2002
We would like to bring our dog in DR, but we would appreciated if someone could tell me what kind of papers we need?

I've heard that the Rabies shot & a Health certificate was enough and it has to be translate it in Spanish, but is there anything else that I don't know about!

Thank you
WhiteCat

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Dogs

Where are you staying that would allow a dog?

I think it would be really cool to take your dog with you, and am pretty sure it is easy to bring one....am equally sure that there is no quarantine when returning to Canada....not sure about to where you are from...better check.

I drive by at least one new dead dog on the road every day...be careful to keep him on a leash. There are also a lot of ticks and fleas here. Not sure where you are going, but there are a lot of stray dogs here....if it is a female make sure she is not in heat.

have fun
marc

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Just my thoughts

I think you might be doing yourself and your dog a favor by not bringing him/her. Give each other a break. To high a potential for problems.It is HOT here.Your dogs coat might not be ready for "summer"! People get stomach /intestinal problems,so do dogs. A dog with diarrhea would not be fun for anyone.Sometimes hotels say one thing by phone,and something different when you arrive!("I don,t knoe who told you that we allow dogs here","Well perhaps for an additional 500 pesos per day we could make an exception"!) It,s a vacation,you don,t want to worry about the "Hairy" member of the family. Criss Colon

WhiteCat

Jan 7, 2002
To Chris

Hi Chris,

This dog is from DR, so she is use to the heat and the environment!

Last year we were in DR and we found this poor poppy half dead, we brought her to the vet and she was lucky to recover! So we decided to keep her. :)

We cannot leave her behind because we will be staying in DR for 3 month.

When we brought her to Canada, we had to get an Export documentation stating that she can leave the DR and when arriving in Canada they welcome her and we paid a $40 fee for letting her in.

But we are not sure what they (DR) will request when we arrive in DR!

WhiteCat

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
All you need is a health Certificate from a Vet. I would suggest that you visit the closest Dominican Consulate and get the paperwork there. If not you are in for a loooong wait at Customs. Also make sure your flight is set to arrive during working hours. If not your "Fido" will be spending the night in quarantine!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Traveling with Fido

I side with Criss and believe you should not be bringing Fido with you. It is hot here on the island and your animal's health will be at risk and will also be at risk during transport, especially if Fido is not in the cabin with you. If Fido does not fit under the seat, Fido goes into the cargo section. Would you feel comfortable knowing your pet is traveling in cargo? Also, please consider how many hours you will be traveling with your pet, number of stops and if airline transfers and plane changes are involved. The greater number of variables increases the number of risks to the health of your pet. I do not know what airline you will be traveling on, but I suggest you visit the American Airlines website and look under "Programs and Services", "Traveling with Pets", it will provide good guidelines. Then, you must check with the airline you will travel on, they need to know in advance of your desire to travel with your pet if you do wish to proceed after being informed. Regards, PJT

www.aa.com

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
bring your dog!

I just moved to Cabarete from California and brought my dog, no problem. I flew into POP so they might be more lax that the bigger airports. All I needed was a health certificate from the vet and proof that she had her parvo and rabies shots between 1 month and 1 year before departures. Health certificate must be issued no more than 15 days before departure.

One thing you must watch out for here is traffic. Locals like to play chicken with dogs so keep her on a leash and introduce her to people around where you are going to live. Also, dogs must take parasite pills once a month. Apparently there is something here that can destroy their brains? Be careful about people. My dog got out on my 3rd day here and I thought she was a goner for sure. Our maintenance guy found her by chance only at his neighbor's house and brought her back home after 1.5 days. I gave the dominican woman 300 pesos and this crazy bitch wanted more money. She said she would go to the police and tell them we gave her the dog if she didn't get more money. She threw stones at our maintenance guy's house for 3 days and came over to our house to get more money. Because a bunch of locals were here, I think she got scared and said no, she had the wrong dog. So my point is, some people will take advantage of your loss if your dog gets away. I hear some people have paid $100-$300 to get their dogs back (americans, euros and canadians).