Ceramic Water Filters

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Does anybody know where to buy those ceramic water filters? The ones in Nicaragua look like a plastic garbage bin with a spigot at the bottom for filtered water and inside is a clay insert where you add water.

There are pictures here:
http://www.cdc.gov/safewater/ceramic-filtration.html

On that subject, does anybody know of a pottery, ceramic tile industry in the DR?

May 29, 2006
Yes there are ceramic companies in the DR, including those that make toilets, sinks, garden pots, sconces, etc.. You may want to narrow it down to what region you're in.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Wow, thanks guys. I just thought I could wander down to the local store and buy one as they are so useful. It's amazing how hard it is to locate some things here that I would consider a no brainer for a country with sketchy water supplies.

I'll see about getting some.

May 29, 2006
They are franchising the production so it will be more available in a few years. It's still a new technology. My hope is they will do lease to own since many families will have a hard time paying over 1000 pesos up front. They are a handful of production sites and over ten million Dominicans...

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Wow, thanks guys. I just thought I could wander down to the local store and buy one as they are so useful. It's amazing how hard it is to locate some things here that I would consider a no brainer for a country with sketchy water supplies.
I remember ceramic filters in the DR years ago. People with decent tap water supply preferred units that were attached to the faucet.

As your own link indicates, these filters "improve" water quality but do not remove or kill all harmful impurities (such as virus and some bacteria). They also need frequent cleaning and eventually repair or replacement.
Worse, you still need to find the water to put in (not trivial, depending on where you are).

Now, here the common drink water "solution" for most urban and many rural areas is the "botellon" (big purified water containers). It's a relatively inexpensive "all in one" solution. You get the water and the purification process included for a modest price, and may even get it delivered home. Seems to work well for most.

That means that filters are manufactured or imported in relatively small quantities, which implies relatively high price (versus mass market solutions).

You are welcome to try something else, but be aware that you'd be "swimming upstream" so t speak.