Allegiant Air Charter Turbulance Flight

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Interesting. I don't really think the problem (extremely turbulent air) would have been less of an issue with a different airline.

It happens, they landed safely. Today was a good day.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
As today, Allegiant Air, a charter plane left Punta Cana and they hit a serious turbulance and had to divert to Ft. Lauderdale, not Pittsburgh.

Story: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016...gh-makes-emergency-landing-due-to-turbulence/

I think basically, that airline sucks and they should had charter different company like AA, Jetblue or else, they are more better and relaibale.

Just my 2 cents

I don't know anything about this airline but blaming the company for bad weather does seem a little harsh...

I guess your favourites have magic turbulence detectors not issued to other lesser companies?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Interesting. I don't really think the problem (extremely turbulent air) would have been less of an issue with a different airline.

It happens, they landed safely. Today was a good day.

Way back when I was working on getting a pilot's license they said any landing you walk away from is a successful landing!
Der Fish

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Way back when I was working on getting a pilot's license they said any landing you walk away from is a successful landing!
Der Fish

Wow derfish after 6 years I finally agree completely with one of your posts.. In the past I've partially agreed, not agreed, or not even read.. But today you nailed it.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
I have heard, from a reliable source, that half the pilots who work for Allegiant won't let their family members fly on their own airline. In this case I would not be at all surprised to learn that the pilots were coerced into flying in weather they would have preferred not to.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I have heard, from a reliable source, that half the pilots who work for Allegiant won't let their family members fly on their own airline. In this case I would not be at all surprised to learn that the pilots were coerced into flying in weather they would have preferred not to.

There ain't no such thing as a reliable source for gossip of that type. WHo would have made a poll? etc...

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
In fact, it was a union conducted poll. Not gossip. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
In fact, it was a union conducted poll. Not gossip. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion.

So give us a link to it if you can. Myself I don't kow how to do such things here on this site, but if it was something official like that link it for us, maybe.
Der Fish

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Not sure I should post the source but the following is a cut and paste from it. The situation is basically the same as what was going on at Continental airlines when Frank Lorenzo raped it.

"Almost half of the pilots said they will not allow their own families to fly on the aircraft. That is a stunning repudiation of the operations at Allegiant. I have never heard that before at a carrier. And that is not sour grapes. That is not to make publicity. That is a real fear that these pilots have. And the reason is because they're on the front lines and observe day in and day out the way Allegiant skimps on maintenance, pushes their aircraft."

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Not sure I should post the source but the following is a cut and paste from it. The situation is basically the same as what was going on at Continental airlines when Frank Lorenzo raped it.

"Almost half of the pilots said they will not allow their own families to fly on the aircraft. That is a stunning repudiation of the operations at Allegiant. I have never heard that before at a carrier. And that is not sour grapes. That is not to make publicity. That is a real fear that these pilots have. And the reason is because they're on the front lines and observe day in and day out the way Allegiant skimps on maintenance, pushes their aircraft."

I?d like to see the source of this, as this makes little sense to me. I?m no way an expert of the industry, but this makes me think that the pilots are willing to risk all the lives of all the passengers they allow on board, and their own lives.

If the airline is that crappy, can?t the pilots get jobs on any other airlines, or does the reputation fly? If I were a good pilot, I would imagine that I would not want to risk my life at work...

I would personally not feel comfortable being responsible (as far as I know, the pilot of an aircraft has the last word what goes on while on board) for the lives of the passengers if I know who the aircrafts are treated.

Onto another point; again, not an expert, but unless I recall incorrectly, newer aircrafts or some airlines have introduced a machinery in their cockpit that allows the recognition of turbulant clouds ahead of time, which should allow the pilots to take action (change of altitude of route) before than it would be possible with traditional/older machinery.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I?d like to see the source of this, as this makes little sense to me. I?m no way an expert of the industry, but this makes me think that the pilots are willing to risk all the lives of all the passengers they allow on board, and their own lives.

If the airline is that crappy, can?t the pilots get jobs on any other airlines, or does the reputation fly? If I were a good pilot, I would imagine that I would not want to risk my life at work...

I would personally not feel comfortable being responsible (as far as I know, the pilot of an aircraft has the last word what goes on while on board) for the lives of the passengers if I know who the aircrafts are treated.

Onto another point; again, not an expert, but unless I recall incorrectly, newer aircrafts or some airlines have introduced a machinery in their cockpit that allows the recognition of turbulant clouds ahead of time, which should allow the pilots to take action (change of altitude of route) before than it would be possible with traditional/older machinery.

It was clear air turbulence, not cloud or bad weather based, according to CNN.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Well, this conversation can go on for ever.
When a pilot starts work at a new airline, he (or she) starts at the bottom pay scale with no choice of what routes to fly or what kind of schedule. So yes, after a pilot gains some seniority, he might be tempted to risk his own butt to maintain a decent income while at the same time preferring not to let his family share those same risks.
Allegiant flies older model aircraft which likely do not have equipment to display clear air turbulence in the same way that the severe weather they had to penetrate was displayed to them on their "radar".
There are separate issues going on with this thread. First, pilots do not like bumpy flights any more than passengers do so I doubt the injuries inflicted can be traced back to any deliberate action by the pilots. They were in a position where, for any number of reasons, they chose to accept the flight they were assigned while knowing they had to navigate through severe weather. That is done routinely.
Second, you can easily google news reports about Allegiant, their maintenance problems, and their labor problems, and Teamsters union conflicts.
Then you can decide if you want to fly n them.
I'm done here :)

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Have flown Allegiant from Orlando not charter was as good as going with AA, or SouthWest. An lots cheaper than AA

Jan 7, 2016

If the "reliable source" was a union, I would assert that there axes to grind and the biases are apparent to all...has to be taken with a grain of salt!

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
There are trial clear air turbulence detectors in existence but the technology is far from perfect.Windshear detection is improving enormously and weather radar is another generation since I was flying, but there will always be cases of unexpected turbulence as far as I can see until a new form of detection comes along.

I do find it quite shocking that some people would believe that pilots would deliberately put themselves and passengers in danger because of economic pressures.
I am not so naive to believe that companies would not try to do this, as I well know, but the captain always has the last word and accepts that responsibility when he gets the job.

Some can handle it, some don't make it as captain but any pilot will do everything in his power to avoid an incident that could lead to an accident.

Unfortunately, the culture in some airlines is not always geared to 'Safety First' these days but it's not just the cheapocharters and can infiltrate into mainstream companies.
Usually the dissatisfaction is with the working conditions but if it's a safety issue then the FAA will get involved.
Air France 447 and the Swissair Halifax accidents come to mind.

However, despite the lack of pre-packed peanuts and fake smiles,the most dangerous bit is still the drive to the airport.