Prevalence of Skin Irritations in the D.R.?

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
I'm 62 and I've spent most of my life in the U.S. Over the years I've had the periodic itchings and scratchings, that medically have
been below the radar, being more an annoyance than an affliction.

I've now been living in the D.R. for 7 years. In the past months I've noticed a significant increase in skin irriation and itching, and the appearance
of small red bumps (and itching) on various parts of the body, particularly where there is an increase in moisture and heat. Other family members report same.

That I appear to be experiencing more skin irritation in the D.R. than in the U.S. is conjecture and speculation.

Does anyone have similar experiences and, in particular, does anyone have credible sources that might establish a factual basis for possible causes?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Judging by the amount of fungus cremes for sale in the pharmacies it is a common problem for Dominicans as well. Lots of parasites of various types in the water systems which for the most part is neither chlorinated or filtered, and the weather is humid.
I see kids at the school all the times with skin rashes, usually treated with medicated creme and gone quickly. The causes I believe would be many and varied, but hygiene and living conditions would be main factors.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there may be many reasons for this. i would suggest seeing dermatologist to sort this out. it can be allergy, contact with chemicals, polluted water, fungal infection, autoimmune disease.

when i worked in the pharmacy i often saw this among construction workers, obese people and those living in very poor areas with high contamination.

ssarkas

Oct 9, 2007
scabies. you may notice a half inch scratch near to area that's itchy. creates small red bumps and rash.will spread quickly.dominicans say they live in trees and jump out and onto humans late in afternoon when it starts to cool down. also they say never to hang clothes out to dry near to green leaves and trees and such.also spread person to person. happens more in hot weather. pharmacy sells a cream by the name of scabisan. works very well.use it for about a week till better,wait two weeks and use it again. it is a parasite that lives in the skin

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Over chlorinated pools or cisterns. Not enough chlorine in pools, cisterns and tinacos. Sea salt. Skin that is moist more often than it is dry. Insect bits, fleas, sand flies. Heat rash (clogged pores). Some brands of body/laundry soap. Deposits left on the skin from hard water. The possible causes are endless, and some people are more prone to certain irritants than others.

Talcum powder applied to the skin can help keep moister areas drier. Rinsing off after swimming. Installing a water softener (good luck), Avoid over use of pool chemicals. Showering more frequently to wash off sweat and dirt. Many soaps do not lather and rinse off well in hard water. See the Doctor if nothing seems to bring you any relief.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I?m no dermatologist/ doctor but perhaps you should go see one.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Try some hydrocortisone cream, if no work check with your local Doctor. Very common here, what part of your body??

GioMed

Oct 6, 2011
Sorry to hear that, I on the other hand have healthier
looking skin since moving to DR :) --same ugly mug tho-
Course I haven't had junk food in 8 mos. and ran across
some mud to put on my face, it works so well I'm looking
into setting up a site and selling it on ebay etc..

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
".....particularly where there is an increase in moisture and heat."

What you wrote may be the clue.........the body needs to perspire to cool and some bodies will never adapt to hot humid conditions so those people need to adjust lifestyles for heat rash.

As someone from northern Europe who has lived in the tropics for many years, I still suffer from heat rash sometimes in the hottest most humid months. It doesn't help that I avoid air conditioning like the plague and have an outdoor lifestyle/work. I adapt by loose cotton clothing, shorts, numerous cold showers daily and fluids......especially hot strong English breakfast tea which seems to do the trick always.

Drinking hot tea was something I picked up from time in the Middle East and it does work......and their loose clothes are good too. I also believe spicy food is very good too.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
What worked for me besides the hydrocortisone , is a ointment , called triamcinolone acetonide, it is what most MDs would give you for fungus or heat related rash. Your pharmacy will probably have it. Should be a easy fix

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I was having " itches " due to the low quality of soap powder ( for clothes washing ). A better rinse cycle, ie the hard way-manually, solved the problem.

As for creams, i vouch for " Inoderm" , small green round tin. Equivalent of " vicks vaporub" , for skin irritation.;)
Dead cheap ( like 10 pesos ) and available everywhere, pharmacy, colmado, supermarket ........

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Analyze water sample.

I've now been living in the D.R. for 7 years. In the past months I've noticed a significant increase in skin irriation and itching, and the appearance
of small red bumps (and itching) on various parts of the body, particularly where there is an increase in moisture and heat. Other family members report same.

That I appear to be experiencing more skin irritation in the D.R. than in the U.S. is conjecture and speculation.

Does anyone have similar experiences and, in particular, does anyone have credible sources that might establish a factual basis for possible causes?
What is the source of your bathing water, well or public supply ? A few years back a study was done of the quality of water supply in the Domingo Maiz barrio of the Veron municipality of the Punta Cana Tourist zone. One of the reasons for the study was the water was unsafe for drinking and other uses (bathing) some residents were suffering skin ailments. This was because of a lack of sewage treatment and the residents were drawing water from contaminated wells. The Punta Cana Ecological Foundation (Grupo Punta Cana) , US Peace Corps, Save the Children, Rotary International, and other community organizations set about to construct a wetland sewerage treatment system to service about 150 families. The system was completed about two years ago.

You should take a water sample from your tap and have it analyzed to identify if there are any pathogens or other substances that may be causing skin irritation. Also, there are some good dermatology clinics in the country that may assist you with finding the cause of your irritation and provide a remedy. Instituto Dermatol?gico y Cirugia de la Piel Dr.HDB, is one of the better clinics with facilities located in various parts of the country.

Good luck.

Regards,

PJT

May 29, 2006
Acidic tap water? :) (see thread on bottled water)

I would start by trying to get better soaps in particular, look for any with oat(Avena) in it them. I'm bringing down some castile soaps made with coconut oil.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I'm 62 and I've spent most of my life in the U.S. Over the years I've had the periodic itchings and scratchings, that medically have

You are "62" years old, and So Is Your Skin!!!!!
As we "AGE" our skin becomes "DRY" and has more "Stuff" growing on it/in it.
I enjoy spending my time "Picking" at my "Skin Farm".
Dermatologists call some of the "Stuff",..."Barnacles"!!!!!!!!!!
Use "oatmeal" soaps, and rinse clothes twice to remove the residue of HARSH alkaline , Dominican Detergents.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013

I've now been living in the D.R. for 7 years. In the past months I've noticed a significant increase in skin irriation and itching, ...

Let me try to understand.

You have been living in the DR for seven years.

And ONLY IN THE PAST MONTHS have you "noticed a significant increase in skin irriation and itching".

Am I right so far?

Isn't it totally obvious that if your problem was somehow related to your stay in the DR, IT WOULD HAVE TAKEN FAR LESS THAN SEVEN YEARS for you to notice it?

Correct me if I am wrong.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Virgo why assume what his situation is....recently. Why is it that you're always a contrarian. Consider that perhaps he's got a ligit complaint about a malady.

Last edited:

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Lucas 61 ,,yes I have lived in the DR for many years but recently I was in hospital in England and a small fungal infection I had near the groin was noticed by the doctors and it was diagnosed as a fungal infection that you can pick up in hot climates , we tried Lamisil and a few other products and now I am using a light steroid cream to try to kill it . I also have a little tinea between the toes but all this has come on , all of a sudden and I had not experienced any problem before for all the years I have been here . It is definitely best to see a good doctor who can prescribe treatment . Mine has gone on for months so it is not something to take lightly . All the other ideas are really all at the margin. You need to find a good cream, and it may be by precription, to kill the fungus..See a good doctor .

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Virgo why assume what his situation is....recently.
Maybe because HE HIMSELF wrote it. I even quoted it. Did you miss:
"I've now been living in the D.R. for 7 years. In the past months I've noticed a significant increase in skin irriation and itching,..."?

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Maybe because HE HIMSELF wrote it. I even quoted it. Did you miss:
"I've now been living in the D.R. for 7 years. In the past months I've noticed a significant increase in skin irriation and itching,..."?

Virgo, he asked and people who live in the Dominican Republic have suggested that it could be caused by detergent ( which happened to us when we moved to the generic price smart brand) or by a moisture caused fungus, or by issues in the water. He has also received some solid suggestions for treatment. It is not an insult to la patria, he was asking what residents who actually live here had done in similar situations.