Best Reliable Generator

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I am in need of a home backup Generator for a small house in the campo where we will spend some weekends. The electricity rarely goes out in my home in Santiago so I only have an Inversor but at this campo home it is the opposite, it is rare that there is electricity available.

I am looking for a reliable generator that doesn't sound like a plane landing. I am open to shipping one from the states if you all know of a good brand.

Thanks in Advance,

SHALENA

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Honda is the best brand, usually VERY quiet.

Get a diesel, lets expensive fuel/running costs, the fuel is also less dangerous to handle and store then gasoline.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
First choice is Honda second would be Yamaha.
Bolt it, chain it and weld it down of possible or it will grow legs.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I believe La Sirena / OchoA / Bellon sells generators, do not know if they have Honda/Diesels.

I shipped my diesel one in many, many years ago. (Not a Honda)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Plasa Lama in Santiago sells a variety of Honda generators. Some are portable and small enough that you can take it back and forth.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have a Honda generator, and our electrician set up a switch that we can pull so that it powers the whole house. Otherwise we can plug in just what we want. We also roll it into our locked garage when not needed. We also have an 8 kw Generac that runs on propane, but it's the size of a big chest freezer and not good if you or someone else isn't there all the time. Also can be set up for automatic use.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks all. I am looking at the Hondas and there are many different sizes...any idea which size I might need for a small (and I mean SMALL) 2 bedroom home? I will compare the prices at Plaza Lama with cost in US (plus shipping).
Also, if anyone knows an electrician de confianza in Santiago also, as I would like to set up the switch where it will power the whole house.

Thanks!
SHALENA

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
If you are considering shipping one to the DR I suggest COLEMAN brand; going a bit further,
I also suggest propane (LP gas) vice gasoline or diesel. Consider the +'s, no tank to rust out,
no diesel or gasoline to "spoil", you can use the kitchen tank in an emergency and on and on!
Not to mention fuel is cheaper! An electric (battery) start 6500KW would be MORE than enuf
to power most places in the barrio. Cheers!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I have a 3.6kw Inverter system which runs most of my 3br 2 bath house including all my lights, 2 TV's, alarm system, security cameras and 14 cubic foot refrigerator and a small refrigerator (No Air conditioner or water heater and I personally don't use the microwave with the Inverter), so a 4 kw generator would do the same plus more.

I use about 11 kw a day including running the hot water heater only when needed and the microwave.

My house is large.

My 4 kw generator would recharge the batteries in 3-4 hours after being on the Inverter for 8 +/- hours

Try to add up the wattage you use at the small house.

Depends how much you want turned on at the same time as to how big a generator you need.

I would guess I use a max at any one moment of less then 2 kw. (Not counting water heater)

Microwave uses about 1 kw.
Water heater maybe 3-4 kw (Energy Hog).
Big screen TV 150 watts.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks all. I am looking at the Hondas and there are many different sizes...any idea which size I might need for a small (and I mean SMALL) 2 bedroom home? I will compare the prices at Plaza Lama with cost in US (plus shipping).
Also, if anyone knows an electrician de confianza in Santiago also, as I would like to set up the switch where it will power the whole house.

Thanks!
SHALENA

Depends on what you're running on it. We have a full size American GE refrig/freezer, and it takes 3kw inverter to run it - we have a 5500 watt Honda, runs the fridge, freezer and everything else.

Last edited:

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
Oh crap, sorry my post was incorrect. Please delete the KW; should read
6500Watt would be more than enuf to power a small barrio home. KW?
well we might be talking the whole neighborhood?

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Best place is pricesmart to buy, not only they have the best warranty but best prices. they only have a few model in store (2 different honda from what I saw in SD) but they also have a large variety on their website.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you are considering shipping one to the DR I suggest COLEMAN brand; going a bit further,
I also suggest propane (LP gas) vice gasoline or diesel. Consider the +'s, no tank to rust out,
no diesel or gasoline to "spoil", you can use the kitchen tank in an emergency and on and on!
Not to mention fuel is cheaper! An electric (battery) start 6500KW would be MORE than enuf
to power most places in the barrio. Cheers!

I have had two people in my neighborhood with Generac propane generators. They look like the pod in which Spock was buried in one of the Star Trek movies. Both of them died young. They were expensive and unreliable. From that I would not recommend a propane generator from Generac.

I have a Chinese 6,500 watt diesel generator which is really about 4,000 watts. Not quiet. I have a small Yamaha 2,500 watt gasoline unit. Not quiet. Perhaps the Hondas are a better bet.

2,500 watts should be enough to power what you need.

Last edited:

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
wow not having one and only seeing i (cost)like the propane ones and then diesels...the ones i saw were for a house and were auto installed... not attached to the house etc

ssarkas

Oct 9, 2007
if you can afford it diesel is by far the best.make sure it is water cooled with a radiator.a 2 cyl. that produces 4000 watts or above will do an average house.propane is 2nd choice but the quality of propane gas here sucks and often contains a lot of air which will affect how the machine runs. gas is loud and expencive to run. also the heat is really tough on it. life span is limited.i have a2cyl. lombardini diesel engine that runs a 6000 watt gen. connected via belt.it burns a little bit more than half gal. in 4 hours. has lasted for years. before that I had a winco 4000 watt that burned gas or propane.winco is a quality machine. lasted about a year and a half being used 4 hrs daily than broke piston. it was due to heat even though I tried to run it at night only to charge inverter batteries. whatever you buy should be watercooled. good luck.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I am in need of a home backup Generator for a small house in the campo where we will spend some weekends. The electricity rarely goes out in my home in Santiago so I only have an Inversor but at this campo home it is the opposite, it is rare that there is electricity available.

I am looking for a reliable generator that doesn't sound like a plane landing. I am open to shipping one from the states if you all know of a good brand.

Thanks in Advance,

SHALENA

I used to buy the 3600 watt generator. We would run one or two grinding machines from one generator. the generators pulled 15 amps each. amps times volts equals watts, I believe is the formula for deciding how big the generator should be. A refrigerator or other appliances should have a plate stating their power requirements in amps or watts. If your home is wired for 120 volts then that is what you multiply the amps by. Light bulbs are already listed in watts, so do not need to be changed when figuring usage. I bought a few smaller ones over the years, but blew them out soon because they were too small.
Der Fish

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
I have a cheap (by DR standards) petrol genny that I could convert to propane. 3500w. That's enough to run a freezer, fridge, lights, well pump and house water pump (3/4 hp).
I use a knife switch to swap between the grid and the genny when needed.

The genny is a KTC unit, which is manual start but the next one up is electric start.
So far it's run for 25hrs (I fitted with an hour meter) with no hassle.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
I have an Honda eu3000 I set up with remote starting quietest generator by far of any....

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
What ever you buy MAKE SHURE it is rated LOW R.P.M. or it will not last on 24 hour daily use.