Bringing cash into the country

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloridaMike

May 6, 2012
I have a few questions about bringing a large amount of cash - over 10k U.S. - into the country. I will be in the country for 45 days and simply do not want to try my luck with the ATM's. Anybody know if Customs sends this info when I make the declaration in the United States? When I arrive in the DR what can I expect from authorities here? Should I expect a hassle or should I be concerned that they may try to take the cash for any reason? I plan to honestly fill out the Customs form on the flight in so I am not going to give them a reason to take it.

Aug 6, 2006
The 10K limit is due to a desire to impede the drug trade.
I have never had anything searched when leaving the US, but I suspect that that US $50 and $100 bills can be read by some sort of HSA device.
I have had no difficulty with ATMs in the DR. Usually they charge a small commission (or give slightly unfavorable rates, or both) and limit withdrawals to RD$20,000 per day.
That is around US$450. Banco Popular is the one I find best. For changing money, the Caribetours bus station gives good rates and two competing locations.
It is off 27 de Febrero on the E-W main drag through SD, easy to find. $20 bills are the easiest to change. But can be bulky. 500+ bills could probably be hard to conceal wearing normal clothing.
I bet someone can give you more details on the best way to go to bring in large amounts of USD.

jfk-tampa

Jul 28, 2007
unless you are liven realll.high on the hog what would you needover 10,000$ for. unless you want to hang out in casa de campo.that why they have the 10000$ restriction.manly for the drug tranactions . you won,t need that much for 45 days.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If (capital 'I', if) you want to obey the rules, bring in the $9,999 and use the ATM if you come up short.

Or you can Western Union yourself money perhaps if you are short.

Suit yourself...........

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
DR customs form requires declaration for amounts of $10,000 or more. Bring in a slightly smaller amount, around $9000 and your good to go. That's a very large amount of money for 45 days in the DR. I stay here for the winter and spend around $1800 a month and that includes car rentals, bars, and restaurants outside resort areas. I'd be very concerned about carrying that much cash with me when staying in hotels and resorts. Debit and credit cards are accepted everywhere and a credit card is necessary for car rental at International companies such as Budget. In this country, you never flash large amounts of cash anywhere. Carrying it in backpacks or handbags is very dangerous.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I always applaud the discretion of members that announce to their immediate 68,656 close friends on dr1 that they are rolling with 10 large and include their name and city.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
You'll be fine. Just fill out the form, hand it to them, and they probably wont even look at it. If they do, just say that you are staying for a while. I'd say you were staying for 30 days, or maybe 4 weeks, just to make it a little easier.

If they say anything, or try to ask for money, start being loud but polite. Whomever is asking wont want attention brought to them.

As others have said, the ATMs are pretty good. I lived there for three years, and used the ATMs quite a bit.

Or, if you are flying with someone have them take half the cash and fill out a separate customs form.

Or, bring in $9k in cash, and use a transfer serice like xoom.com if you need to get more. I've done xoom for up to $9,000 a month, and never had any problems. Very safe and secure. You can send the money to any bank, or Caribe Express for about $55 per $3,000.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I always applaud the discretion of members that announce to their immediate 68,656 close friends on dr1 that they are rolling with 10 large and include their name and city.

Tambo. I would expect you are the only one who researched his name and city. Probably looked up his picture on Farcebook too!

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010

yes what is that about? hi folks I'm a blow hard...

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Tambo. I would expect you are the only one who researched his name and city. Probably looked up his picture on Farcebook too!

Pretty difficult when it is is dr1 screen name!
Long day with Uncle Barcelo today?

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Bring some cash, but just use your credit card inside the bank (not at the ATM outside) and get a cash advance. All you need is your passport and there are no fees.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
You probably won't get caught, but If you bring $9999and get caught. They count all the cash you are carrying. If you have $2 in your wallet. Your done. They may let you keep half. Probably not. It's free money to them Bring $8000. If you need to and have someone send more on Western Union if you need it. You'll have a hard time spending it all here. Good luck

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
The VERY few issues I have had with ATM machines here since their introduction have all been resolved in my favor. Bring an atm card and far less than ten grand with you. Far better to loose a few hundred which you will eventually get back than a few thousand and possibly your life. The info you put on your customs declaration will make it to the street in front of the airport before you do.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Travelling/residing with a lot of cash in DR is just asking for trouble.

'When in Rome do as the Romans'........travel light and keep your money in the bank......using ATM's inside banks are a much safer bet than carrying or holding large sums of cash at home.

Travel with a few hundred dollars and once in your chosen vacation place locate a suitable ATM. Better to ask the forum members where is the best ATM to use where you are going.

Scotiabank has agreements with Bank of America and Barclays and others whereby you get zero bank charges using their ATM's. I have used Scotiabank ATM's for multiple years, weekly and more throughout the Caribbean without mishap, but I also hold backup card insurance.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Travelling/residing with a lot of cash in DR is just asking for trouble.

'When in Rome do as the Romans'........travel light and keep your money in the bank......using ATM's inside banks are a much safer bet than carrying or holding large sums of cash at home.

Travel with a few hundred dollars and once in your chosen vacation place locate a suitable ATM. Better to ask the forum members where is the best ATM to use where you are going.

Scotiabank has agreements with Bank of America and Barclays and others whereby you get zero bank charges using their ATM's. I have used Scotiabank ATM's for multiple years, weekly and more throughout the Caribbean without mishap, but I also hold backup card insurance.

That agreement between Bank of America and Scotiabank has been long gone, you pay 3% now.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
i think no one answered this guys question....can u look at yourseves...???? answer...u have to declare if you have over 10k$us...thats all.....it means u aint hiding it......peeps should say most peeps travels w/ 10k$ in leaving the house...pay for coffee magazine etc and you dont have 10k$ anymore...

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
the problem w/ large dough is when u get here....where is safe??? i used to ask my girl to hide/put in bra bank but i was going into so much she got mad at me....not sure y....because of the withdrawals or the going in so mant times....

Status
Not open for further replies.