Vacations: something different, with horses, rivers... Jarabacoa/Constanza maybe?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
As some may still remember, I am a resident of the North Coast for almost a decade now.
For the last 6 years, we have made it a tradition of going to an All-Inclusive resort with my daughter and some kids we take along every summer.
This year, my daughter turns 15 and well, we've been in Puerto Plata's Costa Dorada and Maimon, Bavaro, Punta Cana and La Romana... been there-done that.
And we wonder if we'd not rather do something different this year...
My daughter loves horses... and I have little by little come to prefer the cooler rivers over beaches.
So, we thought, well maybe there's some place that is clean, has some comfort (no mosquito valley boot camp!) and has access to rivers and some horses (3-dimensional (vs. anorexic and abused horses which can only be seen from the side)).

Any suggestions, contacts?

Thanks! ... J-D.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
As some may still remember, I am a resident of the North Coast for almost a decade now.
For the last 6 years, we have made it a tradition of going to an All-Inclusive resort with my daughter and some kids we take along every summer.
This year, my daughter turns 15 and well, we've been in Puerto Plata's Costa Dorada and Maimon, Bavaro, Punta Cana and La Romana... been there-done that.
And we wonder if we'd not rather do something different this year...
My daughter loves horses... and I have little by little come to prefer the cooler rivers over beaches.
So, we thought, well maybe there's some place that is clean, has some comfort (no mosquito valley boot camp!) and has access to rivers and some horses (3-dimensional (vs. anorexic and abused horses which can only be seen from the side)).

Any suggestions, contacts?

Thanks! ... J-D.

Go to the Samana Peninsula. Make Las Terrenas your base. You can take horses into Limon Falls or take another tour with horses involved. Also I would recommend Zip lining. This place is located on the way to Playa Valle. They have about 15 zip line stations that bring you from the top of the canopy to the bottom. When you get to the bottom there is a really nice natural swimming area with small waterfalls. A few miles down the road is Playa Valle, which is a beautiful beach surrounded by mountains. In Las Terrenas there are some great beaches. Check out the Samana Guide at the top of the Northeast thread.
Good luck and good travels. You can google Samana Zip line.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Option 1

http://www.villasdellago.com/

Villas del Lago between Santiago and Jarabacoa......family orientated and family run and a bit away from the tourist crowd

Option 2

http://dominicantreehousevillage.com/

Dominican Tree House Village.......by Playa La Valle as mentioned in previous post

Option 3

https://paraisocanohondo.com/en/

A unique place to stay to explore the 'must visit' Parque Los Haitises with boat excursions, horse trekking and sea kayaking available.

Option 4

http://www.guanaventuras.com/

Explore the South West and ecotourism there

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2004
A "like" and a "thanks" for all the great AI alternative suggestions here so far.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Thanks to all for the input. Exactly the kind of information I was looking for.
I love the Samana Peninsula and the OUTSKIRTS of Las Terrenas... I went to the French "resort" Bahia De Las Ballenas (Coson) twice and three times to the Viva Wyndaham Viva (closed) on the Coson beaches as well.
The beach front part of the village was fun with all the food... I haven't seen it yet after it was reconstructed after the fire a few years ago.

Right now... the kids are getting bigger and it is getting equally more and more difficult to sneak'em into the AI-resorts for "free" as "children".
And well, they've been at an AI every year now, so it's not the BIG deal anymore.

We live in an ocean front Condo Resort... really the only thing that sets our living condition apart from the AI-resorts to the kids is FREE Ice Cream
? gogo.

Horses, Rivers... anything new but FUN seems to get more of their attention now and while I would enjoy the comfort of relaxing, not having to count money at every request... I am kind'a there too.

So thanks to all... I got some home work to do now.

... J-D.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Constanza, stay at Alto Cerro, beautiful view, and they have quite a few activities at the resort, as well as a bonfire pit. Beautiful view of the Valley and you can take a trip into the mountains up to Agua Blanca and also see the pyramids....

My thoughts not yours.....

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I will.
My wife is looking into the different options (so I am not the guilty one, if we have a "Vietnam"-Experience.
If we feel unsure... well check ourselves back into one of the AI things... kids play around the pool and load up on all the food their not supposed to indulge in, and I enjoy free A/C, limited mosquitoes, the gym and all the protein at the buffet.

I'll report back if we do something exciting.

Thanks! ... J-D.