new dominican passports to be valid for 10 years

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Now they change it. After thousands have been getting the 6 year ones for no good reason (other than rumors on Facebook).

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
right now it's valid for 6 years (at 1,850 pesos) and this option will still be available. not sure why they decided to offer the extension for 10 years. the article says it's because american visa is valid for 10 years but it makes no difference whatsoever. all dominicans i know with long terms visa simply travel with 2 passports (old with visa, new without visa), it's never been an issue.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
right now it's valid for 6 years (at 1,850 pesos) and this option will still be available. not sure why they decided to offer the extension for 10 years. the article says it's because american visa is valid for 10 years but it makes no difference whatsoever. all dominicans i know with long terms visa simply travel with 2 passports (old with visa, new without visa), it's never been an issue.

My wife now has to travel with 3 passports. Other than that, not an issue, other than the ridiculous wait in renewing a passport caused by the vast majority of people getting passports who will never leave the island.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
My wife now has to travel with 3 passports. Other than that, not an issue, other than the ridiculous wait in renewing a passport caused by the vast majority of people getting passports who will never leave the island.

But they have the hope and the rights to get a Dominican Passport if they want to travel, still there are some countries where we can visit without visas. USA is not the only country in the world.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Yeah you see some of these folks in SDQ airport flying to Quito or Lima. I wonder what they are doing down there...:)

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Yeah you see some of these folks in SDQ airport flying to Quito or Lima. I wonder what they are doing down there...:)

Hahahaha, sorry for you but I can not make you happy with that, so far I have traveled 5 diferents countries, and in 1 month will be the number six, and its not your busness if Im one of those. As Dominican If I want to have a passport to have it in a frame in my house who's care, I can have it. One thing I can tell you, Im not the kind of Dominican that only visit their cousin in USA, never been there and for now Im not really instrested in going there. Have a nice day and remember this, every single person in this world is the same, just because you are not Dominican and you are coming from a country with better economy and living standards you are not better than anybody else.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
the problem is that...He is actually Dominican or of Dominican origin....just ask him ;-)
Have a nice day and remember this, every single person in this world is the same, just because you are not Dominican and you are coming from a country with better economy and living standards you are not better than anybody else.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

And you see people in London travelling to Berlin or Moscow. I wonder what they do there, but I don't care.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

Visas attached to expired passports longer than 6 months will no longer be accepted as valid by country that issued the same visa, much due to how the visa stores the passport # and dates in their system to validate them too.
The new guidelines were brought up 2 years ago and have a mandatory 4 year compliance to all countries were the visas are issued at.

The DR was waiting until the new system at passports was introduced to begin issuing the 10 year validated passports.

the new guidelines require that visas issued to applicants are done so that the receiving document to be filed must have a later expiration date than the visa type it was stamped with, (I think is 90 days from expired visa period or so).

As many of you may had found out already, the U.S. is currently issuing visa renewals with terms of 10 years B1/B2 in the DR. First time are also being issued 5 to 6 years terms.

Just compliance with the passports that's it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Visas attached to expired passports longer than 6 months will no longer be accepted as valid by country that issued the same visa, much due to how the visa stores the passport # and dates in their system to validate them too.
The new guidelines were brought up 2 years ago and have a mandatory 4 year compliance to all countries were the visas are issued at.

The DR was waiting until the new system at passports was introduced to begin issuing the 10 year validated passports.

the new guidelines require that visas issued to applicants are done so that the receiving document to be filed must have a later expiration date than the visa type it was stamped with, (I think is 90 days from expired visa period or so).

As many of you may had found out already, the U.S. is currently issuing visa renewals with terms of 10 years B1/B2 in the DR. First time are also being issued 5 to 6 years terms.

Just compliance with the passports that's it.

What you have said above makes little sense.

The computer systems are incapable of keeping track of several passport numbers for a person?

How does issuing a passport good for 10 years help if someone gets a 10 year visa? Their passport will always expire before the visa if they already have the passport in hand even just one day before the visa.

Where is it published that a visa in a passport that has been expired for more than 6 months is no longer valid?

Last edited:

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
What you have said above makes little sense.

The computer systems are incapable of keeping track of several passport numbers for a person?

How does issuing a passport good for 10 years help if someone gets a 10 year visa? Their passport will always expire before the visa if they already have the passport in hand even just one day before the visa.

Where is it published that a visa in a passport that has been expired for more than 6 months is no longer valid?

When a visa is issued the document presented to request it (passport) is also entered into the database. The passport is used as identification as primary use. When the passport is expired, it's removed from the database of the issuing country's system.
When countries validate passports, they do so using an on-line and live link to these international managed database.

A passport that expires 90 days before the visa is still accepted for identification, as that's the regulated number of days it remains in the database even when another document (passport) was issued. Hence a DR's 10 year passport will have the validity of 10 years and 90 days.

It was (and still is) up to the country admitting the traveler to decide if it accepts the tandem new passport along the old one with a valid visa attached. In order to streamline the process a new regulation was formulated to that end.

Passports expired for more than 90 days are not acceptable for travel any longer, period!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Above, I meant to say:

Where is it published that a visa in a passport that has been expired for more than 3 months/90 days is no longer valid?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When a visa is issued the document presented to request it (passport) is also entered into the database. The passport is used as identification as primary use. When the passport is expired, it's removed from the database of the issuing country's system.
When countries validate passports, they do so using an on-line and live link to these international managed database.

A passport that expires 90 days before the visa is still accepted for identification, as that's the regulated number of days it remains in the database even when another document (passport) was issued. Hence a DR's 10 year passport will have the validity of 10 years and 90 days.

It was (and still is) up to the country admitting the traveler to decide if it accepts the tandem new passport along the old one with a valid visa attached. In order to streamline the process a new regulation was formulated to that end.

Passports expired for more than 90 days are not acceptable for travel any longer, period!

I never would have thought travelling to another country on an expired passport would ever be valid.

Keep in mind what you stated originally was a clear as mud. Your clarification helps a bit.
It still makes little sense with respect to the potential for a country not to honor a visa until the end of that visa in an expired passport. Of course the traveller must have a valid current passport as well.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
Above, I meant to say:

Where is it published that a visa in a passport that has been expired for more than 3 months/90 days is no longer valid?

It's regulated by each country. 99% of countries will not allow you travel with an expired passport out of the country in the first place (others do extensions right at the airport).

In reality the passport once expired will not longer be valid. Some countries accept the expired passports of non-national travelers to exit their countries. Now more often they don't allow this and require a "carta de ruta" from their consulates in the country to do so.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I never would have thought travelling to another country on an expired passport would ever be valid.

Keep in mind what you stated originally was a clear as mud. Your clarification helps a bit.
It still makes little sense with respect to the potential for a country not to honor a visa until the end of that visa in an expired passport. Of course the traveller must have a valid current passport as well.

Like i said, things have changed a lot.

Countries now will require that passports presented with a valid visa they issued be also valid for the duration of the individual entry and stay in their country.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Like i said, things have changed a lot.

Countries now will require that passports presented with a valid visa they issued be also valid for the duration of the individual entry and stay in their country.

So there will no longer be ANY 10 YEAR VISAS.