Construction of house - best options

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
Hi
I have a builder i have used before who at that time charged me
$350 per sq meter (2004)+10% maestro fee
I suspect for the same level of construction it would be at least $500 per mtr...it was easy to build this way.
I paid him and it was completed

Question
1/ For those that have built a home with a builder complete turn key like i did...is it cheaper to do it this way
versus
2/ the builder putting up all the block, roof plumbing all the basics
leaving the owner to negotiate/install the fixtures, tiles, kitchen installers windows etc

Would the savings be significant to go option 2
any thoughts????

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
what about a blend of the two ?

I was built but did 'shopping trips' w/ the buildr to selecttile, flooring, fixtures, toilets, etc
Plus , I shipped some things in... light fixtures, etc

your 2004 price (350/M) had a different exchange rate.

Try talking $USA to get it right for today's values

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Hi
I have a builder i have used before who at that time charged me
$350 per sq meter (2004)+10% maestro fee
I suspect for the same level of construction it would be at least $500 per mtr...it was easy to build this way.
I paid him and it was completed

Question
1/ For those that have built a home with a builder complete turn key like i did...is it cheaper to do it this way
versus
2/ the builder putting up all the block, roof plumbing all the basics
leaving the owner to negotiate/install the fixtures, tiles, kitchen installers windows etc

Would the savings be significant to go option 2
any thoughts????

It would totally depend on which of those skills you have. Someone can maybe lay blocks without knowing how to hang cabinets? Etc... I have a friend right now building his house without the help of a Master. Just his knowledge and his 3 Haitian helpers. My self I have built many houses over the years, but would not attempt it here since the building methods are far different that where I have worked before.
Der Fish

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'm with WW, kind of. get the quote for the job, including finish and installation but pick up those details personally. by this, i mean, the price would include putting the floor but the tiles will be of your choice. and so on.

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
i guess what i was thinking is

build the general block structure etc etc

thne maybe go to a tile shop and negotiate a deal wit them to lay the tile
electricians i can get access too and plumbing
window/door installers/company...negotiate with them to install it
kitchen to be installed by the business that i buy it from

Im just trying to avoid the 40%markup minimum that the builder will put onto everythingggg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
friends of ours just finished building few months ago. they hired one company to do everything but of course they picked up tiles, appliances and kitchen design. allegedly all the work is covered by the warranty in case of any fcukups. they already had the workers replace some tiles that were cracked/chipped and no problem with that. so maybe hiring one contractor has some advantages.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You can make whatever arrangements work for you. We just built an extension onto our house. Maestro's price included the block, the finishing of the walls, installation of the ceramic tile. We hired a painter separately and bought all our bathroom fixtures at Americana in SD [my husband installed those, did the electrical work himself too]. Hired a window guy to make and install windows. Was really very painless. Oh, and we paid the local ferreteria directly for all the construction supplies.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
The finishings are where it can get problematic. Many contractors will charge a higher end per square foot rate but the quality of finishings might not warrant the extra cost. Per square for the bare bones but with you owning the level of detail on the finish.

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
I think ill
probably erect the structure
and at some point strike a deal with whomever to do the tiling, etc etc
That way i think i can excise myself from paying his markup

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
So within two hours you've reached a decision on your construction strategy.

WOW

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
I have some serious concerns though about builders that quote 500$ a mtr or 650$ a mtr etc.

what if i wanted something like this my builder i know will tell me $500 minimum. i really wonder if i can get these things constructed more cheaply
http://stylemindchiclife.com/breathe-sunny-escape/
or
http://www.archdaily.com/783168/poo...9d3000003-pool-house-abin-design-studio-photo
looking at this last photo if the building is
8mtr x 5mtrs (3.3ft=1mtr)= 40sq metres x $500 + 10% maestro fee= $22000
question; could anyone on this board be able to build this kind of design ( which is quite simple) for less than $22k??? Do you think $22k is wayyyy too much??

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
If there is one major concern I see with many domestic properties here it is the general poor quality of foundations and substructures including the damp proofing detailing, and sometimes with the super structure.

I do hope that a registered CODIA structural engineer is involved in the design and detailing of the structure and foundations.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
A pool cabana. If it includes a full kitchen and washrooms 22 k isn't crazy.

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
If there is one major concern I see with many domestic properties here it is the general poor quality of foundations and substructures including the damp proofing detailing, and sometimes with the super structure.

I do hope that a registered CODIA structural engineer is involved in the design and detailing of the structure and foundations.

Good lord it's a freakin pool cabana not a nuclear waste facility. Am I missing something here?

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
I think ill
probably erect the structure
and at some point strike a deal with whomever to do the tiling, etc etc
That way i think i can excise myself from paying his markup

maybe look at his last project or two....see if you like the finished product....and remember u wrking w/cement a kind of perm material....

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
Does anyone have any recommendations for building companies, their name, website etc
Ideally on the north coast.

I have come across the odd builder here and there but they expressed that they needed 40% up front for materials.....im not so sure i want to do give that to them.
So i guess if i can find a few companies with a rock solid reputation that would be a help