30 years for the killers of an italian man

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
If ever there was a country that needs the death penalty, it's DR. Give the bad guys something to think about before they kill someone over a cell phone or a few dollars.

I realize it will never happen, but it doesn't stop me from dreaming.

Jan 7, 2016
If ever there was a country that needs the death penalty, it's DR. Give the bad guys something to think about before they kill someone over a cell phone or a few dollars.

This issue with the death penalty (as seen in the U.S.) is that convicts (not socially acceptable term anymore, according to the current administration) are given unlimited appeals of their sentence which draws-out the process for years and years and ends-up costing the tax paying public millions of dollars each year.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
DV8 what were the cercumstances suround his death I am shour I read about it but don't remember which one he was.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
DV8 what were the cercumstances suround his death I am shour I read about it but don't remember which one he was.

it was during the robbery in front of italian guy's house. he was trying to stop the thieves from taking his wife's bag. shot in the torso and hit in the head.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013

You can argue for and against the death penalty. I doubt there is anything particular to the DR that would make the argument special.

30-years in jail is a very long time. So, if criminals thought about it, it would be a big deterrence.

Criminals simply assume they will get away with whatever it is they do. That is why in jurisdictions with the death penalty still murders occur. The murderers simply assume they will not be caught.

That said, some believe that there are many extra-judicial executions by police bodies in the DR and in many other countries, including the US. They are masked as shootout victims. Sometimes they are caught in camera and televised and shown in social media. Then a huge scandal ensues.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
it was during the robbery in front of italian guy's house. he was trying to stop the thieves from taking his wife's bag. shot in the torso and hit in the head.

Right. The name of the victim in fact sounds Spanish (although some names are nearly indistinguishable in either language). He may have been a Dominican person who eventually became an Italian citizen (although the article doesn't say so). Higuey is not known as a place where many Italians live. The nearby "Italian" town is Bayahibe which is physically very close to Higuey, probably 30 mins or less (in the same province also).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You can argue for and against the death penalty. I doubt there is anything particular to the DR that would make the argument special.

30-years in jail is a very long time. So, if criminals thought about it, it would be a big deterrence.

Criminals simply assume they will get away with whatever it is they do. That is why in jurisdictions with the death penalty still murders occur. The murderers simply assume they will not be caught.

That said, some believe that there are many extra-judicial executions by police bodies in the DR and in many other countries, including the US. They are masked as shootout victims. Sometimes they are caught in camera and televised and shown in social media. Then a huge scandal ensues.

The problem isn't the sentence. The problem is that some money to the right person and that sentence evaporates long before 30 years.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
The problem isn't the sentence. The problem is that some money to the right person and that sentence evaporates long before 30 years.

I don't know about that. If it was so simple there would be a lot more murders. Last week they released a guy called Moline who was involved in the killing of a child and belonged to relatively wealthy family. He spent 20 years in jail. Exactly as called by his sentence, not a single day less.

At least when the victims have surviving families, you can count on the families to make a huge noise if the perpetrator was released earlier. And yes they can find out.

The exception may be shameless foreigners who kill Dominicans and then use the influence of their shameless filthy rich government to get away with it. Not much the Dominican family can do once the perpetrators have left under the protection of their unscrupulous government.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't thing death sentence is much of a deterrent from crime. it's not like people do not get murdered for nothing in the countries where death penalty is applied. what is needed is justice system reform so that the criminals are caught and sentenced fast and without options of wiggling out by the means of money or minor procedural issues. 30 years in the clink is a long time, providing that someone does serve it fully.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008

You beat me to it... Some here like to compare the legal system to the US or others but forget that less than $1000usd has proven to turn a 30 year sentence into get-out-of-jail-free card so you can move onto the next victim. I believe a veteran poster has personally experienced this. It not the laws its the lack of proper enforcement. I get that this will happen in some cases but shouldn't in violent crimes causing death or bodily harm.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
You beat me to it... Some here like to compare the legal system to the US or others but forget that less than $1000usd has proven to turn a 30 year sentence into get-out-of-jail-free card so you can move onto the next victim. I believe a veteran poster has personally experienced this.

It's not so simple when the victims have surviving family members (the vast majority of the cases). Read my previous reply.

And if it WAS like that, your life would be at a huge risk, since anyone with a thousand USD could murder you and walk free (or pay someone else to do it). If you TRULY believe that to be the case you should definitely not keep on risking your live.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I don't know about that. If it was so simple there would be a lot more murders. Last week they released a guy called Moline who was involved in the killing of a child and belonged to relatively wealthy family. He spent 20 years in jail. Exactly as called by his sentence, not a single day less.

At least when the victims have surviving families, you can count on the families to make a huge noise if the perpetrator was released earlier. And yes they can find out.

The exception may be shameless foreigners who kill Dominicans and then use the influence of their shameless filthy rich government to get away with it. Not much the Dominican family can do once the perpetrators have left under the protection of their unscrupulous government.

You answered that one yourself - he messed with a wealthy family. This Italian man is dead, and he doesn't have a wealthy Dominican family to pressure the courts to keep his killer in for the entire sentence.

Our nephew was murdered in Santo Domingo in March, sitting in front of his father's home, ON VIDEO, and nothing was done to arrest the killers until they killed someone more important - using, I might add, the licensed handgun stolen from our nephew during the shooting. Such is life in DR.

I won't even dignify your last paragraph with an answer, it has absolutely nothing to do with the deceased Italian.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
It's not so simple when the victims have surviving family members (the vast majority of the cases). Read my previous reply.

And if it WAS like that, your life would be at a huge risk, since anyone with a thousand USD could murder you and walk free (or pay someone else to do it). If you TRULY believe that to be the case you should definitely not keep on risking your live.

I guess its our imagination, we crazy gringos! Do you BELIEVE this does not happen here?

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I guess its our imagination, we crazy gringos! Do you BELIEVE this does not happen here?
On second thought Virgo, don't bother answering that! Based on your above comments the back n forth based on the DR you live in will just result in more counterproductive dialogue.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
You answered that one yourself - he messed with a wealthy family. This Italian man is dead, and he doesn't have a wealthy Dominican family to pressure the courts to keep his killer in for the entire sentence.

Our nephew was murdered in Santo Domingo in March, sitting in front of his father's home, ON VIDEO, and nothing was done to arrest the killers until they killed someone more important - using, I might add, the licensed handgun stolen from our nephew during the shooting. Such is life in DR.

I won't even dignify your last paragraph with an answer, it has absolutely nothing to do with the deceased Italian.

Read my post well. The KILLER belonged to a relatively wealthy family.

As I said the Italian may be of Dominican descend, had a surviving wife, and possibly Dominican children (the article didn't say).

I don't really know the case of your nephew. If there is public information about it, please, post it. Possibly the video may have not conclusively identify the perpetrator (surveillance video is often of poor quality), and/or the police could not catch him before he stroke again.

In any case that example falls outside the case we were discussing, which was when sentenced perpetrators are release earlier than justified.

Anyhow, I would definitely NOT live anywhere where I feel my murderer could just walk free after paying a relatively small (or even a relatively large) amount of money. The risk to my life would be too high.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013

As I said, if you sincerely believe that you can be murdered at any time and the murderer walk free after paying a relatively small amount of money, then don't keep risking your life.

Status
Not open for further replies.