I am considering buying a used Hummer. Any advise out there ?

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I was wondering if parts and repair ar difficult in the Puerto Plata Santiago area.
Does anyone have any opinions or experience? tks

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I was wondering if parts and repair ar difficult in the Puerto Plata Santiago area.

i have assisted many DR1 people in buying cars. the experiences have all been positive so far.

i have reservations about this idea..

Jan 9, 2004

Using a top down approach, provide a year and model#, and I can give you generic thumbs up or down based on a client database to which I have access.

However, if its a 2006 H3.....find another vehicle.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

There are plenty of those hummers around in the country, with parts being somewhat available if we are talking about the regular stuff.

Body parts are not common and most likely will be special order for your model in most cases.

Repairs are not a problem in the DR for the vehicle, unless again we are talking some major issue that requires fabrication.

The biggest issue with these models are related to theft. Removable parts are often targeted and it's a pain in the neck to keep up the evil hands away all times.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There are plenty of those hummers around in the country, with parts being somewhat available if we are talking about the regular stuff.

Body parts are not common and most likely will be special order for your model in most cases.

Repairs are not a problem in the DR for the vehicle, unless again we are talking some major issue that requires fabrication.

The biggest issue with these models are related to theft. Removable parts are often targeted and it's a pain in the neck to keep up the evil hands away all times.

i live in POP, and i don?t believe there are more than a dozen of them here. i do not know what you mean by plenty of them around in the country.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015

The old style Hummers were gas guzzlers to say the least. Given the high price of gas in the DR, try to find one with a diesel engine. The new style Hummers are basically a reduced Hummer body on a GM heavy duty pickup truck chassis. Better gas mileage but still not great. New and used parts should be available for the newer models. Older model parts I expect are harder to get.

Jan 7, 2016

Instead of giving you advice, I'm going to ask you a question: Why? What do you expect to be the gain in this endeavor? With the price of gasoline and diesel here, it's a risky venture at least.

Jul 28, 2014
Instead of giving you advice, I'm going to ask you a question: Why? What do you expect to be the gain in this endeavor? With the price of gasoline and diesel here, it's a risky venture at least.

On top of the fact you are telling all the Dominicans, "look at me, I've got $$$"... (Target)

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015

Forgot to add. Even though old Hummer parts may be hard to find, one alternative is to check the roadside ditches during long trips. You should be able to find a few parts here and there. They were designed for military purposes because only the military can afford to keep fuel in them and maintain them.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
They used to be a common sight in the PC-B?varo area - associated with Russian mafia or people sought by Interpol.
Not so many these days, maybe the owners got deported.

Jan 7, 2016
Forgot to add. Even though old Hummer parts may be hard to find, one alternative is to check the roadside ditches during long trips. You should be able to find a few parts here and there. They were designed for military purposes because only the military can afford to keep fuel in them and maintain them.

Actually, the civilian version of the Hummer, was a poorly made, cheaply constructed piece of gas-guzzling sh*t! That's why they're no longer part of General Motors...almost killed the Corporation!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
To the OP,

May I suggest you try a different approach. There are a number of highly knowledgeable people in this thread. Perhaps you should describe your vehicle requirements, and give them an opportunity to suggest a few vehicles that might be a better fit for the country in terms of parts, reliability, efficiency, etc....

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
You could get a black one, lower it, pimp it out, darken the windows, get a yankees cap, wear it on lock and bling yourself to the max.

That way all the nasties out there will think you're a badass and leave you alone.

Oh and Harley this simply wouldn't work for you.