How to spend election day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Today is the day. Dominicans pull out their newly updated cedulas and with their best penmanship mark and X (I assume it's an X) for the candidate who paid them them the most or called them the most. Technically the bars are closed (I did say technically) as are the grocery stores. Playero being closed, that's like I don't know what. Has Playero been closed before? Must be serious.

Not being one to cower in my villa behind concentric rings of armed security while democracy plays out all around me, I'm looking for suggestions.

How does one go about passing the time of day if one wishes to experience heulgas, hordes of enthusiastic locals waving flags, disrupting traffic, burning tires and firing wildly into the air in some great big quasi-sexual release? My normal hunt through Playero for some common item that is placed on a self nowhere near where I think it should be is not available to me today. I have the whole day to soak up local culture and tradition. To Experience the real Dominican Republic and third world democracy in action. Where should I go and what should I do? How do I find out where a polling station is in Sosua? I just might park my moto across the street, lean back against some wall that has been urinated on only twenty five times this month and watch...

Last edited:

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Quiet and discreet observation of election day ,especially around a polling station is an important education for foreigners . My main observation is that so many people have to walk or drive a long distance to a polling station and this factor may put people off voting.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i started the day from texting DANILO EN PRIMERA VUELTA to my SIL who is a PRM supporter. :devious::devious::devious:

the distance is not that likely to affect voting. newspapers write about good participation so far, SD metro is free today and it's been reported that PLD was offering tickets for travelers leaving SD to vote:
http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...ialista-utiliza-recursos-del-pueblo-YF3676001

there is lots of police and military on the streets and in many places the traffic around JCE buildings is diverted. i would not expect any problems today. maybe some small arguments among the voters at voting stations which always happens. but no burning tires, and general disquietude.

lots of bars/restaurants will surely be open, already newspapers reported violations of the law prohibiting work and alcohol sales. certain businesses, like hotels or gas stations, for example, are exempt from this anyways.

we are having some friends for dinner in the evening and that's about it. meanwhile i'm gonna crack open a bottle of cune reserve and keep checking the news all day.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Today is the day. Dominicans pull out their newly updated cedulas and with their best penmanship mark and X (I assume it's an X) for the candidate who paid them them the most or called them the most. Technically the bars are closed (I did say technically) as are the grocery stores. Playero being closed, that's like I don't know what. Has Playero been closed before? Must be serious.

Not being one to cower in my villa behind concentric rings of armed security while democracy plays out all around me, I'm looking for suggestions.

How does one go about passing the time of day if one wishes to experience heulgas, hordes of enthusiastic locals waving flags, disrupting traffic, burning tires and firing wildly into the air in some great big quasi-sexual release? My normal hunt through Playero for some common item that is placed on a self nowhere near where I think it should be is not available to me today. I have the whole day to soak up local culture and tradition. To Experience the real Dominican Republic and third world democracy in action. Where should I go and what should I do? How do I find out where a polling station is in Sosua? I just might park my moto across the street, lean back against some wall that has been urinated on only twenty five times this month and watch...

Well the Colmado near me is open and my wife just bought some fruit and vegetables. My wife votes this morning and nobody paid her anything and she didn;t receive any robo-calls. I'll take my MIL to vote this afternoon as it's a little to far for her to walk and she figures around 3 pm will be less people. Lots of people around but very orderly at the two schools I drove by where people are voting. Lots of Haitians standing around as there's no work for them today.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Quiet and discreet observation of election day ,especially around a polling station is an important education for foreigners . My main observation is that so many people have to walk or drive a long distance to a polling station and this factor may put people off voting.

While wearing a bullet proof vest.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I have just come back from be being driven around la Romana,where I am staying and everything is very peaceful and orderly but many people in the Carleta and Melisa barrios, for example, have to travel far to vote . and I could only see one voting statio in the vast Mulo and Villa Hermosa barrio . There is a very large police presence and most of the shops are closed here ..Actually I think that is a quieter sunday than normal.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
While wearing a bullet proof vest.
You can't really miss an opportunity for a cheap shot, right?
You have zero evidence of any violence around polling places. Those are among the safest places to be around today, since there is a lot of security.

But who cares about the facts when you have in front of you a juicy opp to take a gratuitous cheap shot on the people you have CHOSEN to live around?

And I know what you are thinking...It's their own fault, for having allowed in, to begin with...you have a point.

P.S. Of course something MIGHT happen. As it might any day anywhere. If you need a bulletproof vest today, you need it EVERY DAY.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
If you need a bulletproof vest today, you need it EVERY DAY.

Sounds about right!

Every night my security cameras (in the D.R.) record the sounds of gun fire....

This morning someone emptied an entire clip at 3:46 am,
... followed by 7 shots, followed by 5 shots within seconds.

... and that's the truth,
the whole truth,​
and nothing but the truth!​

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You can't really miss an opportunity for a cheap shot, right?
You have zero evidence of any violence around polling places. Those are among the safest places to be around today, since there is a lot of security.

But who cares about the facts when you have in front of you a juicy opp to take a gratuitous cheap shot on the people you have CHOSEN to live around?

And I know what you are thinking...It's their own fault, for having allowed in, to begin with...you have a point.

P.S. Of course something MIGHT happen. As it might any day anywhere. If you need a bulletproof vest today, you need it EVERY DAY.

Actually just came from the high school in Jarabacoa where there is a massive crowd that has already voted hanging around and the police have had to divide and send some people on their way a few times. The voting process took my wife 30 minutes but only because sh was behind a group of old people. Lots of money being flashed about , and a friend told me the going rate was 200 pesos.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Lots of money being flashed about , and a friend told me the going rate was 200 pesos.
The going rate for what?
For a vote?

How on earth can the 'buyer' prevent the voter from taking the money, and still vote for whoever s/he planned to vote to begin with?

By the way, even in the DR RD$200 is an extremely small amount of money. Anybody can make that in less than half a day of work.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Every night my security cameras (in the D.R.) record the sounds of gun fire....

This morning someone emptied an entire clip at 3:46 am,
... followed by 7 shots, followed by 5 shots within seconds.

What on earth has that got to do with security at the POLLING PLACES, during the DAY?

Nothing, right?

Anyhow, you may be living in the wrong part of town. Consider moving.

And if you feel your security (and that of your loved ones) is threatened everywhere in the DR, seriously consider moving to a safer part of the world. The safety of you and your loved ones should be paramount.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
guys, can you please ignore mangu boo boo? leave it out of the conversation and just carry on between us.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The going rate for what?
For a vote?

How on earth can the 'buyer' prevent the voter from taking the money, and still vote for whoever s/he planned to vote to begin with?

By the way, even in the DR RD$200 is an extremely small amount of money. Anybody can make that in less than half a day of work.

You are correct. There is no honor between thieves. There also no good reason to hang around after you voted.

Status
Not open for further replies.