architect fees

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
Hi
is it possible to pay an architect to design your home with one cash payment?
Or is it always 6, 7, 8% of the construction price??

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Hi

Give him a 'brief' of your requirements for the planned house and the services you expect of him and ask for a price. He will estimate the cost based upon areas and likely work out a percentage based upon that but at least you get a lump sum based upon his fee proposal and that is easier to manage. I assume you would further seek the design services of a structural engineer and building services engineer or would you ask him to undertake full design responsibilities for all engineering aspects? It is not uncommon in DR for one Designer to offer all design services.

By the way professional indemnity is restricted to 5 years in DR if I am correct for design errors and omissions.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi

Are you familiar with building in the DR. This is not an easy process with many pitfalls along the way. Where are you considering building? Remember the #1 rule is to make sure you are in a secure area. As a gringo building a house you will be target. Think it all through twice.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, that is possible.... I did it.

Describe what you want and ask for plans....
my fees had nothing to do with the construction costs.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Give him a 'brief' of your requirements for the planned house and the services you expect of him and ask for a price. He will estimate the cost based upon areas and likely work out a percentage based upon that but at least you get a lump sum based upon his fee proposal and that is easier to manage. I assume you would further seek the design services of a structural engineer and building services engineer or would you ask him to undertake full design responsibilities for all engineering aspects? It is not uncommon in DR for one Designer to offer all design services.

By the way professional indemnity is restricted to 5 years in DR if I am correct for design errors and omissions.

Are you sure its not 5 days like I have experienced. They pull the national "its not my fault" like everyone else. More importantly do they even have an accredited engineering school in the DR? The amount of latent errors as well common sense errors is incredible