10 best places to retire in DR

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Really, these lists are so ridiculous and I wonder if the writers have ever been to the places they mention. No one in their right mind would retire in la Romana but Juan Dolio is a delightful place . Just an example. I suppose they need a new list every day for something or rather

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Yes a wonderful collection of theatres, sports facilities, good shopping and other entertainment in las Terrenas ,,by far the best place to go out of your mind with boredom

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
i have it on good authority that puerto plata just missed the cut at #51 just beating out haina at #52

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Can we really trust an article that says Santo Domingo is the only location not on the north coast, after they've included La Romana and Casa de Campo?

SMH.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Can we really trust an article that says Santo Domingo is the only location not on the south coast, after they've included La Romana and Casa de Campo?

SMH.

right. and leaves out POP, but includes a cow town like San Pedro...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
probably the author has dominican cupid pals in all those areas :cheeky:

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It really is such a personal thing ,retirement and this list is useless. I think if I retired in las Terrenas I would try to buy 5 acres and build a most wonderful garden in my retirement . I can see that as a worthwhile project . But I would miss my golf, tennis ,bridge and theatre very much..you can only read for so many hours every day . I would never retire in a place where I could not walk so that cancels out many places . Late last year I took several extensive tours around the DR and I saw nowhere that I could retire without being bored except for a few places in the east and the capital. I know that there are many foreigners living along the north coast and the Samana peninsula so maybe they make a good life with their own company .

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
"Which of these cities are you dying to give out a joyride?" Joyriding in Santo Domingo--ROFLMAO. Live in one of the most unliveable, undriveable cities in the world.Rent a car, even? Be sure to hire someone to ensure no one steals it.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Gabriela , I have my home in zona colonial in the capital , in a quiet street just above El Conde. I hardly ever use my car in the capital and I very seldom venture out of Zona Colonial or Gazque when travelling in the capital..sometimes go to the cinema in Lopas de Vega to see classical foreign films .. I use my car only to drive to places outside the capital. I enjoy my life very much in ZC which is full of interest.. I seem to meet such interesting people here .

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Who ever did that list did a horrible job picking photos that represent each place or at the very least are iconic.

Luperon needs a photo of the bay, nothing more and nothing less.

How can Santiago be represented by anything other than a shot of the monument? How? Just how? It doesn't matter if its up close or from far away, the monument needs to be there.

Not a single coconut palm in the Samana photo, when coconut trees are one of the hallmarks of that peninsula. You would think its obvious, but apparently it isn't.

Some many nice angles in Casa de Campo that identifies the place and they choose an image that is so lame and unappealing.

Don't get me started with the photo of Las Terrenas.

Geez!

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
there are alot of nice places to retire.....depends on what u want....quiet???? beach???? restaurants???? tourists???but a quiet inland city woul:surprised:surprised:surprised:surprised:surprised:surprised:surprised:surprisedd probably be my choice....