brito instructs prosecutors to ask for preventive prison for owners of illegal guns

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Prosecutors to ?ask? ??? Why not demand? Although its not
rocket science, I will say the fella makes a good point.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
we do not have enough space in the prisons

do what Jamaica did in the 70s. build a prison specifically for people caught with illegal firearms. it had its own Court system, which meant you were tried immediately..no waiting and dicking around. no sentence..indefinite incarceration. you went in, but had no idea when, or if, you were getting out.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
What's the current penalty? I've heard it's pretty harsh, especially for foreigners, a fine of up to US$10,000 was once banded around.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
i am not sure whether you are asking about the DR or Jamaica...

DR. As a responsible firearm owner who goes through the dick-dance every year to renew, I'm just curious as to what that the current penalty would be if I didn't bother.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
DR. As a responsible firearm owner who goes through the dick-dance every year to renew, I'm just curious as to what that the current penalty would be if I didn't bother.

more than the cost of renewal, i?ll bet.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
What's the current penalty? I've heard it's pretty harsh, especially for foreigners, a fine of up to US$10,000 was once banded around.

Well to get one legally will cost you about USD$6k plus yearly fees, so it's no wonder so many foreigners opt out and go illegal.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
do what Jamaica did in the 70s. build a prison specifically for people caught with illegal firearms. it had its own Court system, which meant you were tried immediately..no waiting and dicking around. no sentence..indefinite incarceration. you went in, but had no idea when, or if, you were getting out.

kind of like that idea....thats why when i was there i never neared one......"the harder they fall"

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Not all unregistered guns in DR were obtained through crime/illegally. I know several people who shipped them in tanques or boxes, and one who shipped them inside the doors of a car they imported.

Now, obviously that's illegal these days, but it's different from stealing one IMO.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know, AE. but people are regularly murdered for their guns: military, police, watchmen, even civilians. simply the fact that there is a need for illegal guns affects the market.

i understand where brito is coming from. those who buy illegal guns without knowing the origin of it contribute to violence and crime.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I think it's a GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!

As long as they don't come to MY HOUSE!!!!!!:bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit::bandit:

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
the title says it all. attorney general instructed prosecutors to request preventive prison for those caught with illegally owned guns:
http://www.listindiario.com/la-repu...preventiva-por-porte-ilegal-de-armas-de-fuego

his reasoning is that illegal arms are widely used to commit crimes and they are also often obtained by the means of crime as well.

I agree. In NYC if you are carrying a concealed weapon and it is not permitted you will do jail time. This is a good deterent and people are aware of the consequences

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
In light of the nightmarish process of obtaining, keeping a license coupled with the needless delays, I can sort of understand the temptation to posses an unlicensed firearm at home for protection in the event it is needed. I do think that it is better to be alive and in legal trouble than dead. This does not make the decision right, just sort of understandable. A shotgun is a more effective home protection device than a pistol and not so easy to carry around.

If one chooses to this route, I am sure most would be content to leave the firearm at home. Touring about with an unlicensed firearm is just dumb. If one is contemplating breaking a law in this country, choose one that doesn't pertain to drugs or guns.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
In light of the nightmarish process of obtaining, keeping a license coupled with the needless delays, I can sort of understand the temptation to posses an unlicensed firearm at home for protection in the event it is needed. I do think that it is better to be alive and in legal trouble than dead. This does not make the decision right, just sort of understandable. A shotgun is a more effective home protection device than a pistol and not so easy to carry around.

If one chooses to this route, I am sure most would be content to leave the firearm at home. Touring about with an unlicensed firearm is just dumb. If one is contemplating breaking a law in this country, choose one that doesn't pertain to drugs or guns.

That's why I'm contemplating trading my pistol for a shotgun. One time license and no more renewals. After all, I never leave the house with my pistol even though I legally can if I wish. I have never thought to myself that I need to be armed in the street, only at home where I can protect my family and is used as a deterrent as word gets around the neighborhood that there lives a crazy gringo with a gun.

In the ten years I've lived here I have never been in a situation where I have needed a gun outside of my home. Sure I've had altercations with people, but over stupid things like traffic incidents and the usual inconsiderate Dominican, but nothing has ever escalated to a point where either party would be willing to take another's life. I have never been threatened with violence by anyone wanting to rob me or cause me harm out in the street.

Bring a gun to an argument and you've already lost.