Tarantulas on a Plane

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
they are super cute little creatures. i wish we had some permanently residing in our garden but with cats and dogs it's not likely to happen.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Tarantulas don't scare me from a distance but if I was on that plane I might try to jump out the window!

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
they are very helpful..they catch flies and nasty little bugs ..how lucky to have them on the plane .. a new life for them ..butI suppose that the aviation people will fumigate them.. They do little harm except scare

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Looks almost as frightening as the Goliath spiders of South America, the upside of these ones being that they aren't as poisonous as the latter.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
If they get dropped off in Canada where there aren't any natural predators, the last thing they'll be is "cute."

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
they are very helpful..they catch flies and nasty little bugs ..how lucky to have them on the plane .. a new life for them ..butI suppose that the aviation people will fumigate them.. They do little harm except scare

You sound like Mr. AE. When I open a door and see one, he invariably tells me to leave it alone because it eats bugs. But it IS a bug, as far as I'm concerned. Creepy.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have a strict policy of letting them critters live with exception of roaches. miesposo will also kill centipedes but i find them pretty cool as well and would prefer to catch and release. normally we don't get many weird guests around the garden apart from toads, snakes, mice and crabs. i catch them and let them outside.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Staying at my 1st Dominican wife's house in the country there was one on the wall of the bedroom. I was told not to worry and go back to sleep.

Finding a 3/4 in thick, 7 inch long centipede is scary to me.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Might move this to Dominicans Abroad forum. lol

Or perhaps Idiots Abroad. Give me a break.

A word of advice for anyone out there suffering from arachnophobia. A small cup of boiling
hot water kills lots of things that crawl.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Or perhaps Idiots Abroad. Give me a break.

A word of advice for anyone out there suffering from arachnophobia. A small cup of boiling
hot water kills lots of things that crawl.

But how would one get the damn thing into the cup of hot water? A week ago I was making my daily hot chocolate and after having poured the boiling water into my cupI noticed a fairly large spider floating inthe boiled water still in the pan. I went ahead and threw out the chocolate and started over.
Der Fish

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
"Moreau wants the four flight tickets for her family reimbursed by Air Transat. The incident left her scratched and her 11-year-old daughter suffering from shock, she said".

Typical French Canadian mooch! I want free tickets and 1 million compensation...

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Wanting their plane tickets paid for bc of a spider? RIDICULOUS!
I would be screaming and hiding in the bathroom but what an interesting story to tell people!! LMAO

Of course, I automatically new where this story was going with people demanding compensation. Air Transit probably will give it to them to make the story go away. I'm surprised no one said this was a terrorist plot.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If they get dropped off in Canada where there aren't any natural predators, the last thing they'll be is "cute."

Happy times for them in Canada until winter.

Spiders crawling into a plane that spent limited time on the ground here in a not so spider friendly concrete environment? Someone might have been trying to take a couple of pets home to keep or sell and they got loose.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
miesposo will also kill centipedes but i find them pretty cool as well and would prefer to catch and release.

I'll take the cacatas and the roaches over the giant centipedes every time. A DR cacata bite is rare and will be painful and nauseating but with antibiotics to stave off infection generally is not that big of a deal for people. For dogs and cats, it can be a different story. A bite from a centipede on the other hand is a really big deal. These mofos are aggressive and very quick. A bite to a person is not usually fatal but will probably result in a stay in hospital and extreme discomfort. In the campo they have their place in the ecosystem I suppose and if go there I accept their existence. In the city or within a residential community, the centipedes should be exterminated with extreme prejudice. They are prolific breeders and their potential for harm far outweighs any consideration of a "live and let live" policy in my opinion.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Centipedes almost 'attack'.... get near them and try to bite.... aggressive and yes, they hurt.

Quite a bit of numbness after a bite