Classic Car Import

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I need the contact info for the classic car group out of Santo Domingo. I thought they had a facebook page, but I can't find it!

I'm planning my return in two years, and want to buy and restore either a 1970's Land Rover Defender, or a Chevy C20 pickup and import it.

I just need to know the rules, so I can get the right year and what not.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As I understand it, the Classic car people need to validate the car's 'classicness'.
That then moves on to the Aduana.

Let PC2 explain the details or anyone else who is versed .

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
maxresdefault.jpg

I'd look so good in this crusing to the beach!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
at your service, fren.

please let us know what you find about the rules and regulations regarding classic car imports.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
There are a few '70's Series II/III Land Rovers for sale around the North coast so you wouldn't need to import one.Would no doubt need some work.
Silly prices but I'm sure a bunch of crispy notes would bring reality back.

Apr 7, 2014
maxresdefault.jpg

I'd look so good in this crusing to the beach!
Until some bonehead on a motorcycle with no insurance runa into the side of it and says you hit him. Also there is the time you trail a dumptruck and the debris cracks your windshield. I applaud your efforts but an old school car might be an error. C20 with transfer case 4wd came with either 4bbl 350 or the 454. Do you wanna deal with that and $5 per gallon low octane gasoline?

ziny

Banned
Oct 11, 2011
sorry sir please don't inflict opinions,,,,a classic car is a dream worth persuing....I am out of my mind with cars....u sound like my brother./////....don't do this don't do that
those carry an extra 5 gallons....w/a big padlock....but as they come w/diesels also I recco a diesel....quite the toy in the states...40k$ fixed /as in new for a early 80's

Apr 7, 2014
sorry sir please don't inflict opinions,,,,a classic car is a dream worth persuing....I am out of my mind with cars....u sound like my brother./////....don't do this don't do that
those carry an extra 5 gallons....w/a big padlock....but as they come w/diesels also I recco a diesel....quite the toy in the states...40k$ fixed /as in new for a early 80's
I have no idea what you wrote. Punctuation please. I dont think it is a good idea to bring a 50 year old rebuilt truck to a place where people pride themselves in irresponsibility. I have seen with my own eyes guys on motorconchos plow into the back of stationary cars because they had no brakes.
This isnt Florida where you can cruise up and down A1A in style and grace.
Other issues are technical. Why import a high compression engine into a low octane market? Look at the guys driving Ferraris, Mercedes' and Porsche Cayennes here. Those cars are new and always have the check engine light on. There is only so mucj the computer can retard the timing to inhibit pre-ignition and detonation.
Sure he look for a diesel conversion(guys are putting 6 cylinder Cummins diesels in all types of trucks now). But the idea of putting a beautifully restored old school truck in an environment where it will suffer from incompetence, abuse and needless damage sounds silly.
To make it worthwhile the OP should look for a retired M880 pickup. They are available as Dodges, GMC & Chevys. Most of them are diesel and built for the cause.

Apr 7, 2014
I have no idea what you wrote. Punctuation please. I dont think it is a good idea to bring a 50 year old rebuilt truck to a place where people pride themselves in irresponsibility. I have seen with my own eyes guys on motorconchos plow into the back of stationary cars because they had no brakes.
This isnt Florida where you can cruise up and down A1A in style and grace.
Other issues are technical. Why import a high compression engine into a low octane market? Look at the guys driving Ferraris, Mercedes' and Porsche Cayennes here. Those cars are new and always have the check engine light on. There is only so mucj the computer can retard the timing to inhibit pre-ignition and detonation.
Sure he look for a diesel conversion(guys are putting 6 cylinder Cummins diesels in all types of trucks now). But the idea of putting a beautifully restored old school truck in an environment where it will suffer from incompetence, abuse and needless damage sounds silly.
To make it worthwhile the OP should look for a retired M880 pickup. They are available as Dodges, GMC & Chevys. Most of them are diesel and built for the cause.
The M880 Dodge are all gasoline engine but a Cummins swap can be done easily.
The GMC/Chevys are M1003/1028s and are all Detroit Diesels.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
A 1970s chev truck , or land rover are not cars. the chev will be much easier to restore

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Until some bonehead on a motorcycle with no insurance runa into the side of it and says you hit him. Also there is the time you trail a dumptruck and the debris cracks your windshield. I applaud your efforts but an old school car might be an error. C20 with transfer case 4wd came with either 4bbl 350 or the 454. Do you wanna deal with that and $5 per gallon low octane gasoline?

454 was not until 1973 in trucks your thinking the 402 big block in 1972 the picture is a 1972

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
454 was not until 1973 in trucks your thinking the 402 big block in 1972 the picture is a 1972

I would suggest a 1972 or older chev, gmc(the same truck) in a c10 not a c20 and 2 wd. the c10 is a half ton , c20 3/4 ton. You can get with a 350 cid v8 2 barrel carb.,much better ride , better on gas. when you rebuild the engine drop the compression down to 9 to 1 or less. And best of all. all the aftermarket parts are online at very decent prices, the drivetrain, sheetmetal, interior,paint, very easy to restore . The rover you mentioned is a nightmare, the english should not be allowed to manufacture vehicles, no disrespect intended to those present from the uk!!!! when you are finished the chev-gmc truck will always be worth much mony, the rover will not, no fun to drive , worse to fix . DOC