Dominican Republic # 91 cheapest place to retire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I can only compare with my home country and it doesn't surprise me that the Netherlands is cheaper to live and retire than DR. I kind of live like my brother but spend twice as much.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
just shows how silly these list To live in England I would have to pay mu housekeeper, my cook and my gardener more than $60,000 with oncosts,probaly more. My wine bill would triple,my petrol bill triple. my income tax double and try eating out at a decent restaurant..more than 150 dollars per person ..The cost is what drives the english to the Dordogne

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
This doesn't suprise me at all. Rent is the only thing that is cheap, and it is only cheap based on the notion that you can rent an almost ocean front 5 bedroom villa for under $2,000 a month. It's not cheaper that would you could rent a 5 bedroom house in the midwest for.

Everything else is more expensive, and does not last as long. I've only been back for two months, and I am already noticing how much cheaper day to day living is.

And, holy hell, Craigslist! I'm just amazed at how cheap cars, trucks, and ATVs are on craigslist.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
This doesn't suprise me at all. Rent is the only thing that is cheap, and it is only cheap based on the notion that you can rent an almost ocean front 5 bedroom villa for under $2,000 a month. It's not cheaper that would you could rent a 5 bedroom house in the midwest for.

Everything else is more expensive, and does not last as long. I've only been back for two months, and I am already noticing how much cheaper day to day living is.

And, holy hell, Craigslist! I'm just amazed at how cheap cars, trucks, and ATVs are on craigslist.

I just had my motor rebuilt on my car. 2,3 liter 4 cylinder. Cost me 20,000 pesos. push rod bearings, rings on the pistons and the head honed and the valves ground. $440.00 USD would have cost $3,000 or more there. Just the top end cost me $2300 8 years ago in Tennessee!
What do you find cheaper there? eggs fresh from the farm, your sister's farm?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
just shows how silly these list To live in England I would have to pay mu housekeeper, my cook and my gardener more than $60,000 with oncosts,probaly more. My wine bill would triple,my petrol bill triple. my income tax double and try eating out at a decent restaurant..more than 150 dollars per person ..The cost is what drives the english to the Dordogne

Quite right.
That's nonsense.

(Let's leave out the impossibles such as staff for the moment.)

My monthly cost for living here in the DR are in total what I would pay for a bed-sitter and electricity before food and anything else.
I know that as I checked recently when it was question of living back in the UK,which fortunately didn't happen.

I could probably survive in France for the same amount as in DR, but with a far lower standard of living.(But with real cheese...)

It's important here as an ex-pat to try to avoid always using imported goods and to take advantage of the weather without recourse to full air conditioning all the time and to spend ones time doing outdoor activity which costs nothing.

Obviously depends where you live in the particular country any case.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I just had my motor rebuilt on my car. 2,3 liter 4 cylinder. Cost me 20,000 pesos. push rod bearings, rings on the pistons and the head honed and the valves ground. $440.00 USD would have cost $3,000 or more there. Just the top end cost me $2300 8 years ago in Tennessee!

Sure, some things are cheaper, including labor. The day to day living things cost more money, and are not of as good a quality. Auto repair is an infrequent thing, the things you do and buy on a daily basis are more expensive.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
but seriously, syria? wtf.

Exactly! Most of these countries are in the midst of civil war, sectarian violence, jihads, and f***k know what else. A lot of them have come through religious and civil wars and are still hotbeds of terrorism. If your a non Muslim in a Muslim country you have diminished rights. The countries that survived after the dissolution of the USSR are still in poor financial shape. Russia was ready to cut of the gas supply to the Ukraine a while ago and let them freeze in the dark. Russia is still trying to exert their corrupt influence on border countries. Reduced rent and food prices loses it edge when a suicide bomber decides to visit your neighbor hood. Imagine sitting on your patio in Syria watching ISIS roll into town. This list is not in touch with the political realities of Eastern European countries and the Middle East. You would be safer walking nude down the Malecon in Puerta Plata on a Friday night dressed out in diamonds and gold than living in Syria, Algeria, Egypt, and other foreign cesspools.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
They obviously didn't see my electric bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My kids could go to a great public school for free in Ma.
Gasoline is $2 a gallon in some US cities.

Worthless info!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

"Apples & 'Naranjas"

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I dunno...... I find RD pretty affordable but we buy mostly local produce and product.

Imported goods are costly... anything from the US in a foil bag is $$$$

We find Canada generally cheaper than the US (living in both)
Certainly gas prices help especially when the distances traveled are large.

I'll write separately about the health care in Canada..... that's a story !!!

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
As with any of these stories....it depends on how one wants to live.

I have lived much cheaper in the DR but my standards were lowered.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
All of these types of stories are bunk. Let's face it... they have to fill up the internet with SOMETHING... they'll take whatever they can get ... or dream up. As for "international living"... their agenda is to push their next symposium in whatever "paradise" they're currently hawking. If all else fails... just remember... "it's the internet ... it has to be true". LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_CgPsGY5Mw

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
76.352% of statistics are false.
The others are fabrications which align with random possibility.....

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Cheaper in DR depending on what king of "living" you're doing... But in my case, just comparing rent, cable, transportation (no, I don't have a car), Vet costs (I have cats), is a big difference compared to costs in Qu?bec.

I know that for other things like food, internet etc.., prices are higher... Electricity per kw is almost the same price as Qu?bec..

So overall, I'd say my life here permits me to work less and get more of it... And I don't even account for the weather. Can't beat that, no f***ing way !!!

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Cheaper in DR depending on what king of "living" you're doing... But in my case, just comparing rent, cable, transportation (no, I don't have a car), Vet costs (I have cats), is a big difference compared to costs in Qu?bec.

I know that for other things like food, internet etc.., prices are higher... Electricity per kw is almost the same price as Qu?bec..

So overall, I'd say my life here permits me to work less and get more of it... And I don't even account for the weather. Can't beat that, no f***ing way !!!

I wonder what it would cost to live with the exact same living conditions/lifestyle as back home.....how would it compare? (not bringing weather into it)

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
I wonder what it would cost to live with the exact same living conditions/lifestyle as back home.....how would it compare? (not bringing weather into it)

5 years ago, before my move to DR, I was living in an appartment with 2bedrooms, 1 bathroom, for a rent of 625$ /month, no utilities. Add 100$ for electricity, 80$ for cable/internet, 60$ for phone/cell.
Car/house insurances, gaz and car maintenance, winter tires and clothes, and food... Then you add the Vet bills, at least 150$ per cat for just a friking visit and vaccine. I had 4 cats.

On a monthly average, before going out or buying anything for myself, it was like 1,800$ per month flying out the window.

Now here I live in a 6 bedrooms/6 bathrooms house with pool, gardener, cleaning lady, for about 1000$ a month, utilities included. Ok, I share the house with my sister, but even so, my quality of life does not compare to before.

Status
Not open for further replies.