Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Building a Dominican style cabana

Im curious about those Dominican styled cabanas...the ones with the 'leaves'???? being used as roofing material.

How much does this cost (e.g for a 18ft*18ft) area???
    How long does it take to install?
    What type of framing do you need?
    special management??
    Or is it cheaper to get a simple concrete roof dropped onto my building??

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Techo de cana. I have no idea about cost but do make sure itīs nailed AND tied down or the next storm that blows by will pull it off. A roof that size shouldnīt take more than I day I would say.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Be prepared to replace it every few years.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

We had a round one replaced about 4 years ago, about 12 feet in diameter. It cost about $800 and they were in and out in one day. The frame is just made of round tree branches. They do only last a few years. If it is around a pool, you would have to replace it more often because it starts to come apart and get in the water. If it is not around a pool, you could probably wait longer to replace it.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

are you thinking 'palapa', or the roof from the large, sturdy pieces of the palm frond?

two different roof types.........

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by reilleyp View Post
    We had a round one replaced about 4 years ago, about 12 feet in diameter. It cost about $800 and they were in and out in one day. The frame is just made of round tree branches. They do only last a few years. If it is around a pool, you would have to replace it more often because it starts to come apart and get in the water. If it is not around a pool, you could probably wait longer to replace it.
    I think you were overcharged. I had a two car carport roof renewed a year and a half ago for 11,000 pesos (about US$250) including treating the frame against termites. US$800 is a lot of money for a day's work here, even if it is for a few guys.

One thing for the OP to note, rats like to make nests in these roofs and of course they can be a fire hazard. They look nice though!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by drstock View Post
    I think you were overcharged. I had a two car carport roof renewed a year and a half ago for 11,000 pesos (about US$250) including treating the frame against termites. US$800 is a lot of money for a day's work here, even if it is for a few guys.

One thing for the OP to note, rats like to make nests in these roofs and of course they can be a fire hazard. They look nice though!
    Spiders and snakes like to rappel down from such roofs also. I was at a BBQ when a few dozen large spiders dropped down to protest the smoke.

Post Thanks / Like

Please get mre than one estimate.
    The palm "cana" is generally sold by "caballo"
    There are not many people who do this right. Be sure to know your measurements
    The separation between each palm branch is a key.|........ | versus | |
    A good roof could last 5 years.

They are beautiful and thermally very efficient.

Go for it.
    HB

Moderator DR1.com