Building a Dominican style cabana

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
Im curious about those Dominican styled cabanas...the ones with the 'leaves'???? being used as roofing material.

How much does this cost (e.g for a 18ft*18ft) area???
How long does it take to install?
What type of framing do you need?
special management??
Or is it cheaper to get a simple concrete roof dropped onto my building??

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Techo de cana. I have no idea about cost but do make sure it?s nailed AND tied down or the next storm that blows by will pull it off. A roof that size shouldn?t take more than I day I would say.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
We had a round one replaced about 4 years ago, about 12 feet in diameter. It cost about $800 and they were in and out in one day. The frame is just made of round tree branches. They do only last a few years. If it is around a pool, you would have to replace it more often because it starts to come apart and get in the water. If it is not around a pool, you could probably wait longer to replace it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
are you thinking 'palapa', or the roof from the large, sturdy pieces of the palm frond?

two different roof types.........

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
We had a round one replaced about 4 years ago, about 12 feet in diameter. It cost about $800 and they were in and out in one day. The frame is just made of round tree branches. They do only last a few years. If it is around a pool, you would have to replace it more often because it starts to come apart and get in the water. If it is not around a pool, you could probably wait longer to replace it.
I think you were overcharged. I had a two car carport roof renewed a year and a half ago for 11,000 pesos (about US$250) including treating the frame against termites. US$800 is a lot of money for a day's work here, even if it is for a few guys.

One thing for the OP to note, rats like to make nests in these roofs and of course they can be a fire hazard. They look nice though!

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I think you were overcharged. I had a two car carport roof renewed a year and a half ago for 11,000 pesos (about US$250) including treating the frame against termites. US$800 is a lot of money for a day's work here, even if it is for a few guys.

One thing for the OP to note, rats like to make nests in these roofs and of course they can be a fire hazard. They look nice though!

Spiders and snakes like to rappel down from such roofs also. I was at a BBQ when a few dozen large spiders dropped down to protest the smoke.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Please get mre than one estimate.
The palm "cana" is generally sold by "caballo"
There are not many people who do this right. Be sure to know your measurements
The separation between each palm branch is a key.|........ | versus | |
A good roof could last 5 years.

They are beautiful and thermally very efficient.

Go for it.
HB