Casa De Cambio

NAGUA

Mar 19, 2016
Anybody here recommend a Casa De Cambio in Bavaro Beach? Airport usually has the worst exchange rate.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Anybody here recommend a Casa De Cambio in Bavaro Beach? Airport usually has the worst exchange rate.

If you are going from dollars to pesos, withdrawing from a teller machine gives you pretty decent rates (even if you pay a modest fee, which will depend on your bank...the teller machine will tell you if they are adding any fee on top of your bank's and give you the right to cancel if you disagree with the fee.

For extra safety, you may want to use teller machines that are at the banks or INSIDE big stores. The probability of machine tampering is much smaller.

In any case, I prefer dealing with a commercial bank. Commercial banks have reasonable rates, because they are competing with each other, and with the exchange houses.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If you are going from dollars to pesos, withdrawing from a teller machine gives you pretty decent rates (even if you pay a modest fee, which will depend on your bank...the teller machine will tell you if they are adding any fee on top of your bank's and give you the right to cancel if you disagree with the fee.

For extra safety, you may want to use teller machines that are at the banks or INSIDE big stores. The probability of machine tampering is much smaller.

In any case, I prefer dealing with a commercial bank. Commercial banks have reasonable rates, because they are competing with each other, and with the exchange houses.

that depends upon which commercial bank you are talking about. Banco Popular sucks as far as their rate goes.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
that depends upon which commercial bank you are talking about. Banco Popular sucks as far as their rate goes.

And BHD is even lower.

But we are all wandering here - the OP wants a Casa de Cambio, so let's limit our responses to what he's looking for please.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

Could you go over that one more time for those of us who didn't catch it the first round? I've got $85 in USD ad how do I exchange that at an ATM?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Could you go over that one more time for those of us who didn't catch it the first round? I've got $85 in USD ad how do I exchange that at an ATM?

I gotta give credit where credit is due Pescado, now that was pretttttty funny.

NAGUA

Mar 19, 2016
Cannot find Plaza Brisas with Google maps. Keeps taking me to calle Brisas.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
No humor in it. He says to use a teller machine to change dollars to pesos. I do not know how to do that do you?
Not possible. I meant just withdraw money with your foreing ATM. You get pesos, and the exchage rate used by the machine is pretty good. This is true in most locations around the world.

NAGUA

Mar 19, 2016
You were already told they have the best exchange rates by the first person who answered. That's also Contangos casa de cambio..
Ok. Can I still be hopeful? Con tango less attitude goes along way. Thanks.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Cannot find Plaza Brisas with Google maps. Keeps taking me to calle Brisas.

Look for Solo Pollo or Hotel Bowman; it's located in Plaza Brisas. Solo Pollo is right across from the cambio being mentioned.

There's also a decent cambio next to Claro at the gas station in Friusa, and the rates seem competitive at Caribe Express near Drink Point.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
It seems the key location is the Friusa cross (cruce) where there are several financial institutions (including Caribe Express), click HERE.

However, for a relatively small amount of money (~US$ 85) it may not be worth it to pay a round trip taxi ride (about 4 miles or 6 Km each way) from Bahia Pr?ncipe. If the hotel exchange rate is remotely reasonable (probably is) the difference between the hotel and the best rate may NOT be enough to pay for the taxi ride.

For example, currently one US$ yields 45-46 pesos. If the hotel gave you 2 pesos less per dollar, that would amount to RD$ 170, or less than 4 dollars. The rt taxi ride should cost significantly more. Of course, if you will stop by the bank or exchange house in your way to somewhere else that may be different. Still the net gain may only be a few dollars (if the hotel rate isn't crazy).