Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dominicans and gore

Somebody please, please, explain to me the Dominican obsession with blood and guts. Never have I experienced it at this level in any other culture.
    Boyfriend of my gf sister gets jacked in an accident (moto, of course), and the first thing she want to do is send me photos. I protest vehemently, that I have no desire to see mutilated bodies, but she insists that I really need to see how badly his face is mangled.
    I know we've been down this path before, but for the life of me, I just don't get it.
    What does it say about a culture where people are at the ready with smartphone on the scene of every accident?

2. Likes frank12, oriole100, drstock, rfp liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ROLLOUT View Post
    Somebody please, please, explain to me the Dominican obsession with blood and guts. Never have I experienced it at this level in any other culture.
    Boyfriend of my gf sister gets jacked in an accident (moto, of course), and the first thing she want to do is send me photos. I protest vehemently,
    And of course a very Dominican is a carbon copy of the other since we are factory made, right?
    I know many Dominicans who don't even like to watch horror movies, and who would refuse to look at a bloody accident's victim.

When people post in the social networks photos of Dominican violence victims it creates a lot of controversy because many Dominicans object.

If I were you, I'd stop assuming that your gf is a perfect copy of each and every Dominican. In fact, I go on records that you aren't a perfect copy of each and every person from your own country.

Don't you agree?

4. Likes Lando calrisian, Tracym liked this post
    Dislikes rfp disliked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

We get it Virgo, you don't like generalizations.

Fact is OP has a point. MANY Dominican love gore. MANY Dominican will stop and get their smartphones out before administering first aid.

I remember watching a very disturbing video posted on FB about a poor fellow who worked at a propane gas station. Whilst connecting his hose to the tank underneath the vehicle, the tank exploded, severing his arm off completely. There was blood everywhere and the video clearly showed the blood pumping out from the remains of his arm. All it would have taken to save his life, would for someone to take off their belt and apply a tourniquet to stem the flow, but no. There were dozens on people there just watching him bleed out in front of their smartphones.

Virgo, many of your people have sick values.

6. Likes Bred, oriole100, rfp liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    Virgo, many of your people have sick values.
    And many of your people don't? Tell me who are "your people" and I'll help you answer..
    In the mean time, you may want to visit youtube and do a suitable search, like THIS one.

As a general rule, every time you feel like Dominicans are specially whatever, do a web search before posting sweeping generalizations and stereotyping. Odds are, you'll find that what you think is 'very Dominican' is far broader than that...and very likely it also applies to *YOUR OWN* people.

8. Dislikes rfp disliked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

it does not bother me. innocent pastime.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

@ Virgo; if you are in fact Dominican, I would submit that you are in possession of another typical dominican trait; DENIAL.

11. Likes Derfish, nigrarosa, sylindr, santiagodude, rfp and 1 others liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Many Dominicans are indeed obsessed with gore. That is confirmed beyond any doubt by the newspapers and TV shows that display the gore in full view. Anyone who does not recognize this as a fact is in denial.

13. Likes rfp liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ROLLOUT View Post
    @ Virgo; if you are in fact Dominican, I would submit that you are in possession of another typical dominican trait; DENIAL.
    there will always be generalizations about every race, nationality, and ethnicity. nobody is dumb enough to believe that every member of every group is just like the other guy. it is a matter of noting that a preponderant number of the population are observed doing certain activities a certain way. obviously there are Dominicans who can drive a car, but, by and large, the rank and file have no idea. that is borne out, in part, by the vehicular death statistics. a diligent search will unearth people who can drive...

15. Likes Snikk, Tracym liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Many Dominicans are indeed obsessed with gore. That is confirmed beyond any doubt by the newspapers and TV shows that display the gore in full view. Anyone who does not recognize this as a fact is in denial.
    i remember the tabloid SUCESOS. a dead man or woman on every cover..

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Every accident scene on every highway I've ever driven displays the phenomenon of rubber necking spectators. If other countries media outlets were permitted to display the type of gore referred to here they would do so because sensationalism sells all over the world.
    Last edited by Bronxboy; 05-23-2016 at 11:29 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast