Dominicans and gore

Status
Not open for further replies.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Somebody please, please, explain to me the Dominican obsession with blood and guts. Never have I experienced it at this level in any other culture.
Boyfriend of my gf sister gets jacked in an accident (moto, of course), and the first thing she want to do is send me photos. I protest vehemently, that I have no desire to see mutilated bodies, but she insists that I really need to see how badly his face is mangled.
I know we've been down this path before, but for the life of me, I just don't get it.
What does it say about a culture where people are at the ready with smartphone on the scene of every accident?

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Somebody please, please, explain to me the Dominican obsession with blood and guts. Never have I experienced it at this level in any other culture.
Boyfriend of my gf sister gets jacked in an accident (moto, of course), and the first thing she want to do is send me photos. I protest vehemently,
And of course a very Dominican is a carbon copy of the other since we are factory made, right?
I know many Dominicans who don't even like to watch horror movies, and who would refuse to look at a bloody accident's victim.

When people post in the social networks photos of Dominican violence victims it creates a lot of controversy because many Dominicans object.

If I were you, I'd stop assuming that your gf is a perfect copy of each and every Dominican. In fact, I go on records that you aren't a perfect copy of each and every person from your own country.

Don't you agree?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
We get it Virgo, you don't like generalizations.

Fact is OP has a point. MANY Dominican love gore. MANY Dominican will stop and get their smartphones out before administering first aid.

I remember watching a very disturbing video posted on FB about a poor fellow who worked at a propane gas station. Whilst connecting his hose to the tank underneath the vehicle, the tank exploded, severing his arm off completely. There was blood everywhere and the video clearly showed the blood pumping out from the remains of his arm. All it would have taken to save his life, would for someone to take off their belt and apply a tourniquet to stem the flow, but no. There were dozens on people there just watching him bleed out in front of their smartphones.

Virgo, many of your people have sick values.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Virgo, many of your people have sick values.
And many of your people don't? Tell me who are "your people" and I'll help you answer..
In the mean time, you may want to visit youtube and do a suitable search, like THIS one.

As a general rule, every time you feel like Dominicans are specially whatever, do a web search before posting sweeping generalizations and stereotyping. Odds are, you'll find that what you think is 'very Dominican' is far broader than that...and very likely it also applies to *YOUR OWN* people.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
@ Virgo; if you are in fact Dominican, I would submit that you are in possession of another typical dominican trait; DENIAL.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Many Dominicans are indeed obsessed with gore. That is confirmed beyond any doubt by the newspapers and TV shows that display the gore in full view. Anyone who does not recognize this as a fact is in denial.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
@ Virgo; if you are in fact Dominican, I would submit that you are in possession of another typical dominican trait; DENIAL.

there will always be generalizations about every race, nationality, and ethnicity. nobody is dumb enough to believe that every member of every group is just like the other guy. it is a matter of noting that a preponderant number of the population are observed doing certain activities a certain way. obviously there are Dominicans who can drive a car, but, by and large, the rank and file have no idea. that is borne out, in part, by the vehicular death statistics. a diligent search will unearth people who can drive...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Many Dominicans are indeed obsessed with gore. That is confirmed beyond any doubt by the newspapers and TV shows that display the gore in full view. Anyone who does not recognize this as a fact is in denial.

i remember the tabloid SUCESOS. a dead man or woman on every cover..

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Every accident scene on every highway I've ever driven displays the phenomenon of rubber necking spectators. If other countries media outlets were permitted to display the type of gore referred to here they would do so because sensationalism sells all over the world.

Last edited by a moderator:

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
Here we have outlets like the NFL where big guys run head on into one another until their bodies are broken and their brains are damaged beyond repair while millions watch on TV. What's the difference?

I would agree with the NFL comment, it is more entertainment in the DR. A lot of boredom and the only excitement is when someone wipes out on a bike, or trips, or whatever. Then the people will be laughing (if no one is hurt) or rushing to the scene. The NFL is a bit more entertaining in my opinion, but you watch what is available.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I think that the difference between what we see in print and on TV in the Dominican Republic can best be described in one word: Freedom

Many cultures espouse "free press" only to allow their governments to restrict what can actually appear on media. Media outlets are routinely fined and can have their license to operate (government permission to exist) revoked by revealing banned content. These media are far less restricted in the D.R. so when someone who has lived their lives in the scrubbed world of media censorship is exposed to a truly free press they are of course "shocked" at the apparent barbarity of the free culture in much the same way that the first explorers to the new world were shocked at the nudity which they encountered upon arrival wanting to "fix" this barbaric custom. Funny thing is, before they arrived with their idea that the human body was shameful most of the languages of the People they encountered had no word for "Rape". That would soon change.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If we're going to generalise, it is more common in Latin countries than in Anglo countries, in my experience.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Same token then.....please explain to me the fascination with mass shooting in North America. Doesn't happen here in the DR. I'll take gross pictures over mass shootings any day.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Like I said before, you are seeming awfully Dominican these days ;)

i guess so. i just never understood the issue with this. it's a rotten point of view to think the death should be hidden and removed form view. it's a part of life cycle. and it's pretty interesting too.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I was driving on the autopista Duarte when I came across the scene of an accident that had just happened. A car was on its roof and I think the passengers were still inside. Various cars had stopped, among them a woman driver who was getting out of her car with her children to take them to see the scene. I would have thought people would try to shield children from seeing things like this.

By the way, nobody in my country (UK) has ever shown me pictures of accident victims on their phones. Here I have been shown them several times.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013

I wonder when will MODERATORS stop you from your bigoted SLURS.

But don't worry, I know not everyone from your country is a bigoted POS, just because quite a few are.

PLEASE DON'T POST OFF TOPIC VIDEOS AND OFFENSIVE AT THAT!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.