obesity in DR at 22%

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Interesting that the countries with the lowest levels of obesity are the poorest. I find the DR's numbers pretty standard and par for the course.

May 29, 2006
I'd blame more screen time more than diet change. An improving economy also means less walking. Seems to be plenty of Type II diabetes now.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It's a change of diet. People use to eat fresh foods now it's all processed, lot's of starch. Mcdonalds, Lucky Charms, potato chips, etc etc.
I watched this last week, it was pretty interesting.
http://metro.co.uk/2014/06/30/iceland-has-the-worlds-best-diet-but-its-bad-news-for-the-uk-4781913/

not to mention that miserable high fructose corn sugar. caribbean people have produced and consumed cane sugar for centuries, without all these health issues. now that they are drinking all this soda pop with corn syrup, look at them. it should be illegal.

Apr 7, 2014
not to mention that miserable high fructose corn sugar. caribbean people have produced and consumed cane sugar for centuries, without all these health issues. now that they are drinking all this soda pop with corn syrup, look at them. it should be illegal.
I have to water down my drinks just to cut that syrup. Im talking one can of Arizona Ice Tea to a gallon of water.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In today's DR1 News:
Dominican population getting fatter
According to a new report by Deloitte, in 1980, 6% of the population of the Dominican Republic was obese but by 2014 that figure had increased to 22%.
In 1981, the National Statistics Office (ONE) reported that the country had 5,545,741 inhabitants, and now there are around 10 million.
Deloitte's report points out that obesity usually means a shorter life expectancy. The report highlights that in Spain, one in 12 deaths are attributed to morbid obesity. In the United States, morbid obesity is a major cause of mortality, especially from cancer, heart disease and diabetes.
The report adds that a population with high rates of obesity places a greater strain on health services. It is estimated that people who are obese spend 42% more on medical products than those who are not.
http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...oblacion-obesa-de-6-a-22-en-34-anos-HD3775955

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have noticwd a definite increase in the size of people in the twenty years I have been coming here. On the plus side the gyms are filled with people young and old and many young Dominicans also eat plant based diets.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Most haitians work, most Dominicans text on their phones
If I or any of us answer this BLATANT PROVOCATION it'd obviously be OUR fault, right?

I wish mods would put the INSTIGATORS in place. These evidently sick individuals do it OVER and OVER. Stereotyping, generalizing, ethnic-slurring as a way of provoking and flame-bating.

It should end.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If I or any of us answer this BLATANT PROVOKATION it'd obviously be OUR fault, right?

I wish mods would put the INSTIGATORS in place. These evidently sick individuals do it OVER and OVER. Stereotyping, generalizing, ethnic-slurring as a way of provoking and flame-bating. It should end.

you really don?t get it. by flying off the deep end every time someone makes a generalization, you just invite people to do it. bawling for the mods does not help your cause one bit , either.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
If I or any of us answer this BLATANT PROVOKATION it'd obviously be OUR fault, right?

I wish mods would put the INSTIGATORS in place. These evidently sick individuals do it OVER and OVER. Stereotyping, generalizing, ethnic-slurring as a way of provoking and flame-bating. It should end.

You really need to chill out or maybe find another community to hanout in where people will buy what your selling. More of a fantasy board! Remember its mostly your posts that provoke wasted dialogue because of your constant inability to see reality. Then you twist it by screaming words like stereotyping, ethnic slur blah blah.
Its funny because my post above was a quoted answer i received from a fellow Dominican when asked this exact question. He obviously answered somewhat jokingly, since he has a sense of humour (unlikeyou) yet he also saw the truth in the statement as well. The difference, he is an educated Dominican who has lived his whole life here with "EYES WIDE OPEN". You on the other hand, I have no idea where you really live.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

I read an article on the internet a few months back that humorously said that we are arriving at the next evolutionary step. homo sapiens waddler. Those who waddle instead of walking are making up more and more of the human population and if they do not interbreed with the thinner of the species soon we will have two human species living together. The obesity is not confined to this island as I am sure we all realize. Probably 60% in Tennessee are now waddlers. But what could you expect where one of the biggest grocery chains is Piggly Wiggly?
Der Fish

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
You really need to chill out or maybe find another community to hanout in where people will buy what your selling. More of a fantasy board! Remember its mostly your posts that provoke wasted dialogue because of your constant inability to see reality. Then you twist it by screaming words like stereotyping, ethnic slur blah blah.
Its funny because my post above was a quoted answer i received from a fellow Dominican when asked this exact question. He obviously answered somewhat jokingly, since he has a sense of humour (unlikeyou) yet he also saw the truth in the statement as well. The difference, he is an educated Dominican who has lived his whole life here with "EYES WIDE OPEN". You on the other hand, I have no idea where you really live.

I will let moderators put in in your place.