I thought I was done with allergies

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
As a child and perhaps as a teenager, I suffered from hay fever and allergies to grass, dust, pollen and I am sure hard physical work.

For decades I assumed I was done with allergies as I did not suffer symptoms for as long as I care to remember. A couple of months after my arrival, while in Santo Domingo for a few days, I had a runny nose and that general itchiness. Constantly blowing my nose. Got gringo priced at the SD pharmacy for 10 claratin-d, didn't care, I was suffering. Not immediately, but soon after leaving SD, the symptoms cleared up and I forgot about the sniffles.

I don't remember for sure but I may have sniffled once or twice since. I had two claritin left and I used both of those in the last two days. The runny nose is back, itchy nose maybe eyes as well. Off to the farmacia today.

Those of you who suffer from similar allergies, what are your experiences here in the DR? Due to the lack of a winter, do you find that there are two or more times a year when either pollen or another allergen becomes a factor? Anyone else who thought they had outgrown their allergies only to have them come back after they moved here? Anyone gone so far as to have testing performed only and found out "they're back" or it's something new?

I find it curious that I usually only suffer for a couple of weeks and sometimes it flares up if I travel regionally. This time I started sniffling a day before leaving for SD and the claritin kept me from annoying everyone on the bus. The cause is here on the North Coast where as the last time it was on the South Coast. Changing locales brings relief after a few days but I am now back home where the problem began so I just have to manage the symptoms until whatever is causing this blows over. Can it be that I am allergic to SD? :laugh:

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I was allergic to nothing as a child.... but in my 40's, such things started.

As for your recent episode, remember it is springtime in RD.
My jardinero reminds me regularly of this fact for planting, pruning, flowers blooming, etc.

We aren't as acute as the locals are towards the changing seasons - they know the difference and feel it better.

We don't, but they do, see the various seasons.... and clearly your nose does too !!!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Several of our children are allergic and suffer in SD year round, getting worse in spring. They have been to allergists that would give them 'injections' weekly to make their body get used to the allergens (dust, grass among others), it started to work but then went backwards, then we stopped using cow milk which solved the problem for one of them, and the last two weeks we stopped giving the other almond milk (and back to cow milk) and he's doing better. Myself I've never been allergic in my life until about a year ago, apparently for certain strong detergents. My conclusion: it's by trial and error (and coincidence) to find out what works. One pediatrician told us that we would be better off in the Netherlands, Santo Domingo being one of the worst places to be when suffering from allergies.

My wife though always suffered from hay fever when we lived in the Netherlands.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
The A/C on the bus is a blessing and a curse since its doubtful the filters ever get cleaned.Breathing in nasty recycled air could be the culprit.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I am asthmatic, and asthma is an allergic disease. However, I think that reactions to allergens are very specific since my asthma has been much better since I came here in 2001. In the fifteen years since my move, I have had exactly one asthma attack. That is much better than I was doing in the US!

On the other hand, some people find new allergens here and begin having issues that are new to them. It's really a matter of exposure and sensitization.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Oh no! I may have become sensitized to alcohol...

For me, I suspect something is tossing pollen into the air right now. Different plants release at different times. Maybe some farmer is cutting grass on a finca nearby. At this point, I don't know the cause but the claratin seems to work so I'm pretty sure it's an allergy as opposed to a brain tumor. Hopefully I can again forgo the meds in a week or two.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Oh no! I may have become sensitized to alcohol...

For me, I suspect something is tossing pollen into the air right now. Different plants release at different times. Maybe some farmer is cutting grass on a finca nearby. At this point, I don't know the cause but the claratin seems to work so I'm pretty sure it's an allergy as opposed to a brain tumor. Hopefully I can again forgo the meds in a week or two.

Starting about last Christmas daily about half way thru bewakfast my nose starts dripping. It may be i am allergic to fried eggs. I don't know, but I ain't gonna give up my 3 sunny side up very easily. Gotta have some givens in one's life.
Der Fish

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Up the alcohol dosage... to see if the symptoms worsen

The alternative is to cut back and see if the reduce.........

your choice

hahahaha

say hello to Sr Bailey for me....

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I was at the local Bailey's distributor when I was out and cleaned off the shelf again. Will repeat as often as they keep restocking. I have more than a few bottles in inventory.

I'm getting smarter and my Spanish is getting better. Was able to ask for generic Loratadina at the farmacia this time. 10 pesos each. Much better than last time in SD for name brand. Checked Amazon and the price is better there so I'll order more from Amazon.

Sniffling isn't as bad so far today but took a pill anyway. I should be 100% soon.

Last edited:

Twogunz

Dec 1, 2013
As a child and perhaps as a teenager, I suffered from hay fever and allergies to grass, dust, pollen and I am sure hard physical work.

For decades I assumed I was done with allergies as I did not suffer symptoms for as long as I care to remember. A couple of months after my arrival, while in Santo Domingo for a few days, I had a runny nose and that general itchiness. Constantly blowing my nose. Got gringo priced at the SD pharmacy for 10 claratin-d, didn't care, I was suffering. Not immediately, but soon after leaving SD, the symptoms cleared up and I forgot about the sniffles.

I don't remember for sure but I may have sniffled once or twice since. I had two claritin left and I used both of those in the last two days. The runny nose is back, itchy nose maybe eyes as well. Off to the farmacia today.

Those of you who suffer from similar allergies, what are your experiences here in the DR? Due to the lack of a winter, do you find that there are two or more times a year when either pollen or another allergen becomes a factor? Anyone else who thought they had outgrown their allergies only to have them come back after they moved here? Anyone gone so far as to have testing performed only and found out "they're back" or it's something new?

I find it curious that I usually only suffer for a couple of weeks and sometimes it flares up if I travel regionally. This time I started sniffling a day before leaving for SD and the claritin kept me from annoying everyone on the bus. The cause is here on the North Coast where as the last time it was on the South Coast. Changing locales brings relief after a few days but I am now back home where the problem began so I just have to manage the symptoms until whatever is causing this blows over. Can it be that I am allergic to SD? :laugh:
C0-enzyme Q-10 also known as Ubiquinone. When we are young we p[roduce itr after 25 no. Take 2 x 200 mg each morning and your allergies will be gone. No side effects. I had bad allergies fropm 18-27, found Q-10 took iot nevber looked back/. It is a health supplem,ent not a drug