DR postal service

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
What has your experience been with the postal service in DR?
The good, the bad and the ugly?

Is it reliable? Efficient? How much time does it take you to send/receive your letters/parcels?

A friend who lives in DR says the postal system is neither trustworthy nor reliable.

The only personal experience I have had with it so far is a letter mailed to the DR, which at last check (more than a month),
had not arrived from Canada.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
When addresses here often are of the type "the apartment behind the colmado Pepa on street X between streets Y and Z in Barrio Noseque" how efficient do you think it can be?

Whenever I receive something from abroad, I have them send it to my CPS account in Doral, FL.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
As KateP says above, many addresses make it close to impossible to actually find the recipient, but if the address is readable and findable, it works based on my experience.

Years ago, my parents sent me twice a Christmas card - using regular mail service, no courier - from Europe to two different locations in Puerto Plata, where we lived at that time, and both times the card arrived exactly where it was expected to arrive.

It did take close to 5 weeks to arrive, but it got there perfectly.

Bear in mind, a greeting card has no monetary value, so I would not use IMPOSDOM for anything "interesting" to anyone other than you... Anything important, I?d only use a courier...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
When I was the first time in the DR on vacation I sent 4 postcards with them. 3 never arrived. One three month after I was back... :D

Use a forwarder in Miami.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010

Is it reliable? Efficient? How much time does it take you to send/receive your letters/parcels?

A friend who lives in DR says the postal system is neither trustworthy nor reliable.

The only personal experience I have had with it so far is a letter mailed to the DR, which at last check (more than a month),

Could have more to do with the CANADIAN UNIONIZED POSTAL SERVICE which is abysmal...

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
I have experience with sending from the DR only; that said, I usually
send a greeting card or two to the USA. The addressee's always
receive them in a timely manner. I have used the offices on the Conde
and in Boca Chica.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Years ago, my parents sent me twice a Christmas card - using regular mail service,
no courier - from Europe to two different locations in Puerto Plata, where we lived at that time, and both times
the card arrived exactly where it was expected to arrive.

A Christmas miracle... x 2

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

I mailed a document to my bank 4 years ago that they required for an investigation, and it never got there. That was before i realized the situation. Don't hold your breast!
Der Fish

thomasj

Mar 31, 2010
Some time ago my US bank sent me a package of checkbooks to the Sosua Post office. Everything seemed fine until
someone cashed a check for$10,000. It turned out someone ripped out a single check from the middle of the booklet and
cashed it. It was a hassle but I got my money back.
On several other occasions I received credit card renewals. The envelops arrived but the cards were missing.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
To the OP,

The postal system in the Dominican Republic is not a system (as per the definition of that word), is not efficient nor is it reliable. It should not be used if you actually need what you send to arrive at the destination. A post card, who cares? Someday it may arrive or not. Anything else, find another way.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
From experience, to mail something out of the DR is fine and reliable.

To receive a letter or package, it's best to have a PO box at the Puerto Plata post office on Calle Separacion. Used to have one and packages or letters mailed from Qu?bec would take 3 weeks to arrive in POP. In 4 years, only 1 small package was never received (or someone at the post office decided it was for them, lol....)

Now I'm in Sabaneta de Yasica thus too far to go to POP so I use CPS in Cabarete. So here you have it. I would suggest if you're close to Puerto Plata, that you go and get yourself a PO box (if any available)...

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I asked my Dominican esposa about the Dominican postal service, she say WHATS THAT??????

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015
I mailed a medium size parcel box to Santiago from USA. The post office called the girl who I mailed the box to and they said come
to the post office to get your box. So the girl goes there and they tried to shake her down for money. Said she needed to pay
the shipping costs. Of course I paid the shipping costs and I texted her the receipt. LOL

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I asked my Dominican esposa about the Dominican postal service, she say WHATS THAT??????

I think this is only logical. After all, nobody (well, I suppose almost nobody) within the country uses that, with normal Dominican day-to-day life there is no need, no demand for such a service. Everything, or almost everything is dealt with personally. Well, you do receive your electricity bill on a paper delivered to your house, but at least with me that?s all what I have ever had to do with mail delivery in the DR. You could of course pay some of your bills online, I personally have never done this, as I have had zero trust on how it works...

I know poorish Dominicans who live in the campo, I know middle class who own businesses, I know employees of business headquartered outside the DR. I have yet to meet one person who needs a postal system (apart from possible Amazon orders from the US)...

Many countries outside the DR at of course just the opposite. Hence it?s normal for us to "be addicted" to such a service.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I think this is only logical. After all, nobody (well, I suppose almost nobody) within the country uses that, with normal Dominican day-to-day life there is no need, no demand for such a service. Everything, or almost everything is dealt with personally. Well, you do receive your electricity bill on a paper delivered to your house, but at least with me that?s all what I have ever had to do with mail delivery in the DR. You could of course pay some of your bills online, I personally have never done this, as I have had zero trust on how it works...

I know poorish Dominicans who live in the campo, I know middle class who own businesses, I know employees of business headquartered outside the DR. I have yet to meet one person who needs a postal system (apart from possible Amazon orders from the US)...

Many countries outside the DR at of course just the opposite. Hence it?s normal for us to "be addicted" to such a service.

Literally the ONLY piece of mail we ever get is our electric bill from Edesur. I'm not even sure it's the post office who delivers it, I thought they delivered it themselves.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Literally the ONLY piece of mail we ever get is our electric bill from Edesur. I'm not even sure it's the post office who delivers it, I thought they delivered it themselves.

Edenorte delivers their own, prolly Edesur does too.