Dominicans in Chicago area...

Dominican1263

Feb 7, 2011
I just recently relocated to Chicago Heights area and I'm desperately looking for Dominican businesses (grocery store, hair salon, etc.).
Do anyone knows where (if there is) is the Dominican community located in Chicago, or perhaps just where I can find Dominican food products?
Any help will be really appreciated :D:D:D I'm feeling kind of lonely :bored:

Jan 19, 2017
I just recently relocated to Chicago Heights area and I'm desperately looking for Dominican businesses (grocery store, hair salon, etc.).
Do anyone knows where (if there is) is the Dominican community located in Chicago, or perhaps just where I can find Dominican food products?
Any help will be really appreciated :D:D:D I'm feeling kind of lonely :bored:

Hey! I just moved here from Miami/NYC. I'm used to being able to find all of my products with ease but today I had to order Lemisol on Amazon!! I'm also Colombian and haven't found the flour we use for arepas. I'm currently staying in Hyde Park but looking to move when my husband ( a Venezuelan) arrives in May.

Have you had any luck finding Dominican neighborhoods, shops, hair salons?

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
The closest you'll find easily are Puerto Rican stores, in the Humboldt Park area of Chicago. You'll find pockets of Nigerian, Jamaican, and Somali in Rogers Park, but for latino flavor, most of Chicago is Mexican. Became a huge HS funding issue (soccer vs baseball) a few years back.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Here are three restaurants listed as being Dominican themed, from yelp.com:

Punta Cana Restaurant
2200 N Kimball Ave
Chicago, IL 60647
(773) 292-7400

Tropical Taste
3330 W North Ave
Chicago, IL 60647
(773) 395-0804

El Sitio
1255 N Pulaski Rd
Chicago, IL 60651
(773) 486-8977

My advice is to stop in, have a bite to eat, something to drink, and ask innocent/not prying questions of the staff. They are usually very helpful. At the least you'll probably have a good meal. Good luck.

Jan 19, 2017
The closest you'll find easily are Puerto Rican stores, in the Humboldt Park area of Chicago. You'll find pockets of Nigerian, Jamaican, and Somali in Rogers Park, but for latino flavor, most of Chicago is Mexican. Became a huge HS funding issue (soccer vs baseball) a few years back.

I can see how that would be problematic. Thanks for the direction