Pick-Pocket scam

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
While in Santo Domingo for a music festival with a big crowd of mostly younger people, a friend of mine got his wallet pick-pocketed by an old acquaintance. Just wondering if anybody else has seen or heard of this trick: The thief approaches the person because he is an old acquaintance (where you know the face but not the name, from many years ago) and the thief yells "Hey man long time I dont see you and gives the victim a bear hug, picking him up in the air (the thief is about 28-35 years old - 6'3'' 220 lbs). After a few seconds of conversation he does the same thing again. My friend thought this was very odd but by the time he checked his back pocket, a few minutes later, the wallet and the thief was gone. He definetly has done this before. The bear hug and picking up the person in the air serves as both distraction and the method to grab the wallet out of the back pocket. My guess is that when he did it the first time he didn't get a good reach or grip on it and thus had to do it a 2nd time. Has anybody heard of this or know of a case similar? This event happened in Santo Domingo but the thief used to live in Puerto Plata or Cabarete. The thief is a white Dominican well dressed and speaks decent English.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
There a guy I call Mr I Remember You that uses a similar approach for begging for change. Claims to be security in a complex you stayed in. Doesn't come close enough to pick a pocket, but last time I saw this guy I reminded him that he's tried that BS on me in the past.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
While in Santo Domingo for a music festival with a big crowd of mostly younger people, a friend of mine got his wallet pick-pocketed by an old acquaintance. Just wondering if anybody else has seen or heard of this trick: The thief approaches the person because he is an old acquaintance (where you know the face but not the name, from many years ago) and the thief yells "Hey man long time I dont see you and gives the victim a bear hug, picking him up in the air (the thief is about 28-35 years old - 6'3'' 220 lbs). After a few seconds of conversation he does the same thing again. My friend thought this was very odd but by the time he checked his back pocket, a few minutes later, the wallet and the thief was gone. He definetly has done this before. The bear hug and picking up the person in the air serves as both distraction and the method to grab the wallet out of the back pocket. My guess is that when he did it the first time he didn't get a good reach or grip on it and thus had to do it a 2nd time. Has anybody heard of this or know of a case similar? This event happened in Santo Domingo but the thief used to live in Puerto Plata or Cabarete. The thief is a white Dominican well dressed and speaks decent English.

Sounds like the "artful dodger" of the DR. For those who don't know the reference it refers to a character in a Dickens novel, Oliver Twist.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
My favorite was the pigeon guy by the Cathedral in POP. He would offer to take a photo with a tourists outstretched arms as perches for the pigeons while his accomplice pick pocketed the mark. I'm guessing Cestur put him out of business for the Carnival folks.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
never carry a wallet period, keep your money in your front pocket , the longer the pockets the better.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I know of two chics named Daisy and Dianna work together pick pocketing drunk tourist
on PC in El Batey, Sosua. One grabs your crotch, the other grabs your wallet.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I know of two chics named Daisy and Dianna work together pick pocketing drunk tourist
on PC in El Batey, Sosua. One grabs your crotch, the other grabs your wallet.

I can't believe they are still around..
Benn going for a good while so must be a good living.Got me the first time I ever walked PC in the evening.