Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Computer back up battery/surge protector.

A decade ago when I bought a complete computer system including a CRT etc... I was told I should also buy a surge protector and back up battery. Are such available here in the DR? One that when the lights go out will keep the wifi on, though that probably was not what mine did back then. But when ever the lights go out here from Ede flash and flicker even for a half a second I have to reset the modem This is with a laptop and it has a battery which is fully charged as I use it.
    Anybody know about a system to not lose the internet when the power goes out for a minute? Would a fiber optic connection be the answer?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Something like this one will do the job. But it is very heavy to ship. They have some here, but not as good.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16842101343

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an inverter and when the power goes out I have seamless internet connection, internet phone connection and no time lag.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Here you go Derfish .. At pricesmart (no live link posting so you join yourself) https://shop.pricesmart.com/ni/en/product/ 275662433/1500va-back-ups-xs-lcd-ups-battery-backup#page=1

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    A decade ago when I bought a complete computer system including a CRT etc... I was told I should also buy a surge protector and back up battery. Are such available here in the DR? One that when the lights go out will keep the wifi on, though that probably was not what mine did back then. But when ever the lights go out here from Ede flash and flicker even for a half a second I have to reset the modem This is with a laptop and it has a battery which is fully charged as I use it.
    Anybody know about a system to not lose the internet when the power goes out for a minute? Would a fiber optic connection be the answer?
    APC makes a low-wattage device that retails for $40 and weighs about 6 lbs to ship. It keep my internet going for ~30 minutes. A UPS not only does what a surge protector does, but it's also a line conditioner that protects from power dips.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

CEDUCOMP in POP, about 1,700 pesos. Battery backup for about 20 minutes depending on whats connected to it. After 10 minutes and power is still out, I shut the PC down and allow my moden/route to continue
    to run so I can use WIFI devices for many many hours.

7. Likes Squat liked this post
    Moderator 🀑 Clown Bin
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lifeisgreat View Post
    Here you go Derfish .. At pricesmart (no live link posting so you join yourself) https://shop.pricesmart.com/ni/en/product/ 275662433/1500va-back-ups-xs-lcd-ups-battery-backup#page=1
    Definitely "OVERKILL" for the stated problem

And there is no guarantee a UPS will fix the problem.
    The problem could also be the modem/router, even after you get a needed UPS.

Derfish, post the model number of the modem/router, perhaps others will have advice about that particular unit.

You may have to switch out the modem/router along with getting a small UPS that powers just the modem/router.

And "No", a fiber optic connection is not the answer unless it's the phone company dropping the connection. Which may still occur even with fiber optics.

✨🀢✨ Season's Greetings βœ¨πŸŽ…βœ¨

9. Likes Squat liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

buy the brand Omega locally, paid one month ago 1,700 pesos for 1000VA,work well with inverter, no all brand work with inverter !!

I have my internet modem oin it and no drop

11. Likes bob saunders liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Derfish,

Your real issue may well be your inverter. The fact that a power failure results in a momentary loss of power means your inverter is not as fast as it should be to kick in or was good and is beginning to show its age and progressing towards failure.

You can address your singular concern by hooking up your modem to a UPS. Because you are using a laptop you don't need the UPS to prevent loss of power to the laptop but the surge protection provided is always a good idea here. If you were using a desktop computer and your modem flickers when the power goes out, chances are the desktop computer would crash too at the same time as the modem. Something to keep in mind if you ever buy a non battery powered computer.

A UPS of 750VA or greater will power your modem for a long time but not forever obviously if the power is off long enough to drain your inverter batteries.

You could really solve the problem and install a wizbang pure sine wave inverter and make all your other electronics happy at the same time. I assume you rent so probably don't want to change the inverter so go with the UPS. Just make sure that you have a place to buy replacement batteries for the UPS. The frequent power failures here results in having to change batteries much more frequently than in a place where the power only goes off once a year. As an additional caution, many North American UPS systems don't much like the square wave power supplied by cheapy inverters. They are too heavy to ship to the DR anyways and the batteries contained will designate the package dangerous goods making it even more expensive.

So yes, buy a UPS here in the DR or buy a better inverter, voila problem solved, for now.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought at pricesmart a Tripp-lite voltage regulator 2000 VA output. Works great. You must have a grounded system and three prong outlet with the regulator plugged directly into the wall connection- no extension cord between.
    Last edited by bob saunders; 05-28-2016 at 08:26 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast