Outdoor/BBQ Cooking

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Big Bird, this may tickle your fancy..... great thing for RD and your aerie.

After watching a TV show recently about outdoor cooking in Patagonia, I got an itch for a steel griddle for the BBQ.

For a long time, I have been a fan of 'down & dirty' cooking....
namely putting the meat directly on the hot embers.

This show talked about that and also about doing ALL your cooking over an open fire,
vegetables, sear fruit for dessert - you name it.

I watched this fellow (a professional chef and award winner) ....
he had a flat steel griddle he used in addition to throwing the meat on the coals.

I started hunting and not only did i find what I wanted, IT WAS ON CLEARANCE !!:bunny:

Nothing warms the cockles of my heart like a deal.....and this one is a steal.
Only at the Canadian Lowe's stores.
My local only had 2... bought them both - one for RD and one for Lake Huron.
Will be shipping down shortly.

You can do anything on it... fry eggs & bacon, everything.

https://www.lowes.ca/grill-tools-ac...mpanion-stainless-steel-griddle_g1831667.html

The quality is excellent.... all comparable products are in the $60-$100 zone.

$65 reduced to $25,,,, CANADIAN !!!

What a steel !!!!

You should try one.............

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Big Bird, this may tickle your fancy..... great thing for RD and your aerie.

After watching a TV show recently about outdoor cooking in Patagonia, I got an itch for a steel griddle for the BBQ.

For a long time, I have been a fan of 'down & dirty' cooking....
namely putting the meat directly on the hot embers.

This show talked about that and also about doing ALL your cooking over an open fire,
vegetables, sear fruit for dessert - you name it.

I watched this fellow (a professional chef and award winner) ....
he had a flat steel griddle he used in addition to throwing the meat on the coals.

I started hunting and not only did i find what I wanted, IT WAS ON CLEARANCE !!:bunny:

Nothing warms the cockles of my heart like a deal.....and this one is a steal.
Only at the Canadian Lowe's stores.
My local only had 2... bought them both - one for RD and one for Lake Huron.
Will be shipping down shortly.

You can do anything on it... fry eggs & bacon, everything.

https://www.lowes.ca/grill-tools-ac...mpanion-stainless-steel-griddle_g1831667.html

The quality is excellent.... all comparable products are in the $60-$100 zone.

$65 reduced to $25,,,, CANADIAN !!!

What a steel !!!!

You should try one.............

Very apropos for DR. Every morning at about 7 a.m. our neighbors' fogon is already smoking. They cook everything outdoors, rain or shine.

This item looks great!

Do you literally mean put meat directly on the coals??? No grate, nothing??

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Use a grate if you like... with or without.....

Fish works better with a grate.... steak or chops, no real advantage.
Just brush off the coals when you pull it out

I couldn't find that item in the US but the manufacturer might have them.
Not for $25CAD , they won't be selling it....
This is a strong, welded piece of metal

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
just provocative..... it's and old style of cooking.... anywhere in the world

twist it to suit where you are.....

Get grill..... try it.....

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
just provocative..... it's and old style of cooking.... anywhere in the world

twist it to suit where you are.....

Get grill..... try it.....

Greetings Bill from sunny and cool Newfoundland,

I also love a grill loaded up with ribs, fish, etc, however, I take a moderate approach to grilled foods these days. Google, Carcinogenic Effects of Grilled Foods, and delve through some of the current research from the more credible sources. Direct contact with flame and charcoal residue are concerns. I switched to a barbecue with a layer of ceramic rock between the flame and the grill. Don't know if it's better long term but it does give me a level of comfort.

Btw. I can get fresh halibut steaks at my local fish market now. Halibut is a bycatch and fishermen are allowed a quota. My favourite fish to grill. Swordfish is my second favourite. Covered in olive oil and Greek seasoning and seared quickly. Lard Tunderin Jasus! Some good by! Lol.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
That's right, cooking food, the single most significant development in the evolution of our species causes cancer. Damn those cavemen, they should have known better.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hola Newfie !!

Weather turned here... warm - like 27-28C/85-90F

I'll send some freshwater fish downstream to you

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Hola Newfie !!

Weather turned here... warm - like 27-28C/85-90F

I'll send some freshwater fish downstream to you

Gracias Amigo,

Only freshwater fish I can get here are Atlantic salmon, real salmon not farmed, and rainbow trout. The salmon I fillet, Cover with a rub made of garlic, honey, and molasses, then grill quickly. Also have access to lobster, you know, the real ones with the sweet succulent meat in the claws and tails, also queen crab, snow crab, fresh codfish which is a staple here, and shrimp once the fishery starts. All at prices that would make an Upper Canadian grieve! Lol. Seriously easy access to relatively cheap fish, low real estate taxes and prices, and access to some beautiful beaches make living here tolerable. Google Sand Banks Provincial Park and you will see some of the most beautiful beaches we have with hardly a soul on them. The only thing missing is Palm trees and 30 degree weather. Then again, if we had that they would be crowded with upalongs or come from aways and we don't allow that. As one of our song says, "The sea oh the sea, the wonderful sea. Long may she flow between nations and me. And everyone here should get down on one knee and thank god were surrounded by water". I get the impression a lot of DR locals and expats would like the same between Haiti and the Dominican Republic but that's another thread.

Come from aways can enter our province if they have a liquid visa. The fee is two bottles of Captain Morgan Dark rum. He he he. I do miss my Bohemia grandes and the trade winds. I can get Presidente here but I have access to great micro brewery beers here so I don't bother.

Economy here is slowly ratcheting up despite $50 a barrel oil. OPEC is threatening to slow their flow until they see $65 a barrel prices. The Nl government starts to get revenue royalties at $27 a barrel and gets $25 million for every dollar increase. The only financial albatross we have now is the Muskrat falls hydroelectric development in Labrador. Originally costed at $8 billion, now forecasted to cost $16 billion. NALCOR, the new private/ public NL energy board just fired the CEO in charge. Gave him a 1.4 million severance package. And people have the gall to criticize the DR government for its fiascos. The DR government could take lessons in corruption here. But that's another thread.

Enjoy your day.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
That's right, cooking food, the single most significant development in the evolution of our species causes cancer. Damn those cavemen, they should have known better.

They were cooking over real wood and hot stones with meat that contained 0 additional hormones & additives. The crap that we cook on and eat today isn't even close.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Right Jaime.... you need to watch your wood...
no 'quick lite' briquettes, real hardwood charcoal only.

BBird - that gadget or a wire basket for the veggies....
or just a piece of tough wire mesh will do ( very inexpensive !!)

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Chicken wire is also very good for cooking with, as long as it's not galvanized. Expanded steel tends to be galvanized, and is potentially toxic.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I regret buying a Weber grill. I have it for 14 months now and doubt I used it more than 12 times. Why? I hate cleaning it.

I should have build a stand in the patio and just put a grate and use coal.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Don't clean it too much.... ruins the flavor aspect.

Wipe the grill clean, same as for gas grills....

A few people might be happy to take it off your hands...
Very hard to come by (reasonably) in RD

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Bbq

Don't clean it too much.... ruins the flavor aspect.

Wipe the grill clean, same as for gas grills....

A few people might be happy to take it off your hands...
Very hard to come by (reasonably) in RD

webster...good info. am using my weber kettle as we speak . cooking something you might like. chicken, cut up and clean off fat and some skin, .. the sauce is the trick, 2/3 hienz 57 , 1/3 honey, add your favorite seasoning, cook over medium charcoal heat, at the end add your veggies to the grill. I think you will like. I am at lake house in northern minn. holiday here. All i need is a presidente grande. .........DOC

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
[video=youtube;whXG3XxxxZo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whXG3XxxxZo[/video]

I know, it's northern Michigan and not northern Minnesota, but....

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
DOC.Lake house on Lake Huron here... near Pt Huron....
Romney has a place down the beach, his family's home for 60+ years

For chicken wings, etc I have firebricks, actually for nay slow cooked meats

You need a second grill...
use the bricks (3) on your main level grill
Stack the second (smaller) grill on the bricks to raise off the higher heat.

Our RD friend Lindsey Kaufman put me on to Adam Perry Lang - look him up.

I use the 'brick lift' in Cabrera for wings, ribs - you name it.
Wings go up after searing and stay there, untouched for 45 min or so

Then slather on your sauce.....

The RD built grills have several notches for lifting and lowering the meat on the grill
I'm going to invest in one..... they make them custom.
Like an outdoor fire with cooking ability.

sort of like this.....
https://www.google.ca/search?q=ital...X&ved=0ahUKEwiD1rTD04LNAhUo0YMKHWb3DHcQsAQIMQ