Hello!

Marlee_06

May 29, 2016
Hello Everyone!
I recently visited the Dominican Republic for a small vacation! I fell in love with the area where I was staying -
Sosua - and am now thinking about an extended stay in the country, possibly for several months. I am excited to hear from everyone and get some much needed advice and tips!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I think there is a rule or something...you need to come here 3 or 4 times before you can claim to be in love. I hear how much I am loved every time I walk down the street. I'm now desensitized to the phrase until I have heard it 3 or 4 times from the same person.

What do you want to know? After straight 30 days will you still be in love? - maybe.

Marlee_06

May 29, 2016
I'm actually well traveled for a 22 year old. I made a similar move to Kenya when I was 17 for a summer. After finishing my
first university degree, I am now simply considering a year off to do some traveling and cultural immersion before beginning law school.
Things I want to know would include : Would it be safe for a 22 year old female to live in an apartment in Sosua by herself? Can I rent reasonably cheaply within Sosua close to beaches, super markets, banks, etc.? Are there other young Canadians residing
for a short time in the area? Basically, I am just looking for some general suggestions and tips. I wouldn't be making the move
until at least January 2017, so I have lots of time to get everything sorted out. I'm just looking for basic information right now.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The winter season is high tourist season here so you will be competing with all the snowbirds for accommodations. Consider coming earlier or after march break. Better choice, better prices. "Reasonably cheaply" is a matter of perspective. What do those words mean to you?

Can a single female live here safely? Yes, if she can make good decisions most of the time and accepts that nowhere is completely safe or crime free.

Groceries no problem. Beaches no problem. Banks no problem, but opening an account at one might be. Other Canadians, lots, but very few 22 year olds. Lots of Americans too. Cabarete 15 minutes down the street with all the kite surfers may attract a generally younger crowd. Sosua has more "culture" though.

Marlee_06

May 29, 2016
I apologize for the use of "culture." I'm realizing from another post that it is either rather vague or offensive. I guess I'm just
looking for something different.
Thank you for the suggestions! That is actually very helpful. What would you say is the average age of Canadians living in or
around Sosua?

Marlee_06

May 29, 2016
Hmm.. perhaps I will do some research on Cabarete. Do you know how long these people generally stay in the area? What's the distance roughly from Sosua and Cabarete? I assumedly won't have a car, so to cab from Cabarete to Sosua, or perhaps just to
cab in general from point A to point B would cost roughly how much? In prior research someone had noted that cabs were rather inexpensive.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Living here, the majority are retired. There are of course the exceptions. I know a couple in their 30's and 2 or 3 in their 40's. Many in their 50's and some who's gray has turned blue. Nice people but probably not of much interest to someone such as yourself. But, you're not here to live with them and you won't be here forever. Friendships are what you make of them. I've sat next to some very successful, interesting and influential people.

Marlee_06

May 29, 2016
Okay. Again, helpful. So you asked what I felt reasonably priced was for renting. Max I would want to pay per month would be
500-600. Less than that would be lovely, but from the research I have done, it seems that the closer to the city centre the more expensive it is... which of course makes sense.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Okay. Again, helpful. So you asked what I felt reasonably priced was for renting. Max I would want to pay per month would be
500-600. Less than that would be lovely, but from the research I have done, it seems that the closer to the city centre the more expensive it is... which of course makes sense.

Look up Rocky's in Sosua. You can live there for about $350 USD, Unless things have gone up a lot in a very short time.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Look up Rocky's in Sosua. You can live there for about $350 USD, Unless things have gone up a lot in a very short time.

This is not accurate information.
The website advertises $27 / night, I somehow doubt they are renting rooms for $12 / night mensual.

Rock on Fish

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
This is not accurate information.
The website advertises $27 / night, I somehow doubt they are renting rooms for $12 / night mensual.

Rock on Fish

MOnthly rates are always less than nightly rates. Maybe you don't know that but every one else over 5 years old does. I can show you an apartment for $280 a month or 1000 pesos per night. Your choice. I have rented at both prices since the beginning of the year.
Der Fish

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
MOnthly rates are always less than nightly rates. Maybe you don't know that but every one else over 5 years old does. I can show you an apartment for $280 a month or 1000 pesos per night. Your choice. I have rented at both prices since the beginning of the year.
Der Fish

Would you be ok with your 22 year old daughter living there? :)

I don't mean at Rockys, missed that if so.

Marlee_06

May 29, 2016
Rocky's has prices by the week. A 1 bed and 1 bath condo would be 250 per week in the low season and 275 per week in the
high season. I would prefer to rent by the month.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

Der Fish

Please show me where Rocky's rents for $350 / month, no need for your caustic response, I shall have to ignore your geriatric prune face.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Would you be ok with your 22 year old daughter living there? :)

I don't mean at Rockys, missed that if so.

I am praying for her. Talk her into exploring the culture in Dominicus : ) The Italian culture that is - not the DR for the most part. Probably too slow for her taste, just guessing.

Marlee_06

May 29, 2016
Praying for me doesn't help. Giving me advice and suggestions while I'm still in the early stages of planning and exploring my possibilities on the other hand is incredibly useful.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I'm actually well traveled for a 22 year old. I made a similar move to Kenya when I was 17 for a summer. After finishing my
first university degree, I am now simply considering a year off to do some traveling and cultural immersion before beginning law school.
Things I want to know would include : Would it be safe for a 22 year old female to live in an apartment in Sosua by herself? Can I rent reasonably cheaply within Sosua close to beaches, super markets, banks, etc.? Are there other young Canadians residing
for a short time in the area? Basically, I am just looking for some general suggestions and tips. I wouldn't be making the move
until at least January 2017, so I have lots of time to get everything sorted out. I'm just looking for basic information right now.

You have Island Fever. I had it too. Good news it's curable. Sosua is nice but I would not recommend it necessarily for a single young women. The nightlife is predominantly ruled by ladies of the night. The single men are probably looking for that kind of action. I would check out Cabarate which is just a little further up the highway. This is also a beach community built around wind surfing and kite boarding with a lot a young folks living and working there. Also another area you might consider is Las Terrenas on the Samana Peninsula. If you speak French you will fit right in. The is a large population of French, German and Italian expats. Along with some Canadians, Americans and, of course, Dominicans and Haitians. This is a great place to live for a single person. You can fly directly into El Catey, (AZS) Airport from Canada. The airport is about 30 minutes away. Check out the Tourist Guide at the top of the Northeast Thread. I would visit both Cabarate and Las Terrenas on your next trip and then make a choice. Good luck and good travels.

Marlee you do not want to stay at Rocky's!!!!!
Maybe go on "Everything Sosua" on Facebook and ask questions there, you can find some good answers there for sure.

You are one of my fav new posters with the praying for me does nothing...haha love it and so true!!

Last edited: