Tips for Young Canadian Considering Brief Residency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlee_06

May 29, 2016
Hi Everyone!
I recently visited Sosua and fell in love with the small city and the culture. After my brief vacation, I started doing some research into the area, but have found very little that is overly helpful. I am considering moving to Sosua,
perhaps for a period of several months maybe at the beginning of next year - January 2017. I am incredibly
adventurous and did a similar move to Kenya when I was only 17. I am now 22 and excited about taking this on
by myself. I would want to rent an apartment in a safe area of Sosua for minimal cost per month as I would like
to be fully immersed in the culture and the city life. I am open to any kind of advice or tips that anyone may have. I am excited, yet concerned about doing this by myself and want to guarantee my own safety. I am also
wondering if there are any other young Canadians in the area doing the same thing? I obviously don't know a lot about making this kind of move, so if anyone wants to start me off with some general advice that would be
incredibly helpful!
Thank you!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hi Everyone!
I recently visited Sosua and fell in love with the small city and the culture. After my brief vacation, I started doing some research into the area, but have found very little that is overly helpful. I am considering moving to Sosua,
perhaps for a period of several months maybe at the beginning of next year - January 2017. I am incredibly
adventurous and did a similar move to Kenya when I was only 17. I am now 22 and excited about taking this on
by myself. I would want to rent an apartment in a safe area of Sosua for minimal cost per month as I would like
to be fully immersed in the culture and the city life. I am open to any kind of advice or tips that anyone may have. I am excited, yet concerned about doing this by myself and want to guarantee my own safety. I am also
wondering if there are any other young Canadians in the area doing the same thing? I obviously don't know a lot about making this kind of move, so if anyone wants to start me off with some general advice that would be
incredibly helpful!
Thank you!

you seem to be a person of endless leisure.

Marlee_06

May 29, 2016
No actually.. I wish. I just finished one university degree and am considering a year off before beginning law school. However, I may choose to go to law school beginning next year, I am simply weighing my options. I enjoy traveling and culture immersion. A year off for a new experience is appealing.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Did you also fall in love with a cute little brown girl in the shortest of skirts one can imagine? A skirt so short that when she sat down the skirt was still standing up?
The majority of Canadians living there are 3 times as old as you are and more. Safe means different things to different people. Some wish to live behind 12 ft walls and razor wire on top of that. The consensus seems to be to live in the community along with local people and if you fit in they will be your safety as good neighbors anywhere.
Housing can run from $250 a month up to 10 times that much depending on how much you have to spend on it. I am an old guy, just turned 70 the other week and live with a local lady, younger than either of my kids, but she is still closer to 50 than 40. Thye have the old fashioned mentality that if the man supplies the income they are duty bound to cook and clean, and clean and clean. They all seem to mop the entire house every day or more often than that.
But there is always room for another Canadian in Sosua. Come on join the fun on DR1 and in person in Sosua.
Der Fish

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
No actually.. I wish. I just finished one university degree and am considering a year off before beginning law school. However, I may choose to go to law school beginning next year, I am simply weighing my options. I enjoy traveling and culture immersion. A year off for a new experience is appealing.

enjoy life. i just made the observation because when i finished my first college degree my parents made me go and get a job.

Marlee_06

May 29, 2016
I would like to clarify the fact that I am actually a female. My university studies were focused mainly in human rights and the
history of developing countries - thus my interest in culture. I joined the forum to get some serious, helpful tips and so far I'm
finding a lot of useless judgement.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The seaside hamlet of Sosua is indeed charming.
Both the the proximity to local Dominican fishing villages, and windsurfing mecca of Cabarete make this an ideal spot to immerse oneself in the culture.
Check out Jarabacoa or even Santiago for a taste of "Real" Domincan life.

PS: If you want advice, you may need to quickly develop thicker skin to survive here.
A lot of helpful locals and not so locals frequent this cyber playground.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I would like to clarify the fact that I am actually a female. My university studies were focused mainly in human rights and the
history of developing countries - thus my interest in culture. I joined the forum to get some serious, helpful tips and so far I'm
Because Sosua, rightly or wrongly, is associated mainly with a certain type of "culture".

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The seaside hamlet of Sosua is indeed charming.
Both the the proximity to local Dominican fishing villages, and windsurfing mecca of Cabarete make this an ideal spot to immerse oneself in the culture.
Check out Jarabacoa or even Santiago for a taste of "Real" Domincan life.

yes, so many things of interest to see and learn. a cornucopia of world events....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

a lot of useless judgement. really. i have no idea what you expected.

you are a 22 year old college grad who visited a cultural backwater in a third world country, and declared your love for the culture. i have been in and out of Sosua since the days of Balaguer, and i have no idea what this culture might be. not to sound jealous, but some of us had to work while we were in college. when someone graduates at 22, and talks about goofing off for a few months in a beach backwater, be prepared for the kind of responses coming your way.

you are not the first, and we know you won?t be the last. happy trails.

Marlee_06

May 29, 2016
I'm simply saying... what is my decision to you? You judge me because I want to move for a few months for a different
experience? I worked two jobs while also putting myself through university thanks. I'm also currently working full time so that I can fund this trip if I choose to even take it. I don't "goof off".. I'm incredibly responsible and shouldn't have to stick up for
myself because people like you are incredibly narrow minded.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'm simply saying... what is my decision to you? You judge me because I want to move for a few months for a different
experience? I worked two jobs while also putting myself through university thanks. I'm also currently working full time so that I can fund this trip if I choose to even take it. I don't "goof off".. I'm incredibly responsible and shouldn't have to stick up for

oh boy. now i hurt her feelings.

wait till she meets Fausto. come to think of it, maybe she has..

your decision is nothing to me. you are not what i am looking for.

Marlee_06

May 29, 2016
Hah! No feelings hurt here. Trust me. I just think you shouldn't be on a forum where people actually want some useful and
serious advice. You certainly haven't been what I'm looking for either. Thanks for wasting my time. Have a nice day!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Well, didn't take long for you to peg him. Just be careful Marlee , there are a lot of human parasites on the North Coast. Most of these bitter old fellows mean well, even those that make massive assumptions. Nothing wrong with taking some time to recharge your batteries before deciding on the next phase in your life.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
weldamn. I think you may have stumbled upon the wrong forum, my dear. May I suggest DR0, and then return once you've graduated and are better suited to wade in deeper waters?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I'm really interested to know what people who were there for a few days say " I fell in love with the culture" mean.

Lots to learn about Sosua but nothing we say will save her. Needs to find out first hand. Don't get me wrong lots of great Dominicans in the DR if you can tell the sharks from the guppies.

Here are a few headlines for you to read.

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/156761-canadian-killed-in-sosua?highlight=sosua

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/155088-Secret-Sosua-agents?highlight=sosua

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.ph...robbing-a-house-of-foreigners?highlight=sosua

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/155196-Sosua-Bar-shutdown-for-prostitution-(-)?highlight=sosua

That's enough for now, don't want to scare you too much. Yes I spend my winters in the South east of the Island now but it has taken me years to find the right location for me.

Good luck from a Canadian

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.