Smoking outdoors

Nov 27, 2002
www.compunorma.com
Hi Everybody,

I know this will be a controversial thread, since I think most Americans are anti smoking. Anyway I smoke. Lately I found that some Dominicans are extremely molested even when somebody smokes outdoors.

When I smoke, like in a carwash, I never smoke inside. I sit far away from the people. If it is very crowded, I stand up and move away from the people to smoke minimum 5 meters(15 feet) away from them. I choose my table according wind direction.

Some Dominicans even if more 10 meters(30 feet) away make annoyed gestures like whipping their hands in front of their noses, or they say "apaga el cigarillio me molesta". No way way, they say "could you please smoke somewhere else or so". No way they would say it in a friendly way.

So my question is: What are your experiences with this matter and how would you react?

This question is not about smoking at all. I think it's anybodies choice. Please let's not make it a smoker vs anti smoker thread.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
If someone continual farted and you was subjected to that foul smell even 30' away, how would you react?

You have 2 options:

1) Stand your ground and don't give a sh%#$.
2) Leave.

Of course you have a 3rd option, but that is not part of the discussion.

Aug 6, 2006
Smoking is most irritating to ex smokers. After they have been ex smokers for 5 years or so, the smell is no longer bothersome.
A cigar at four paces might bother me, as an ex smoker, but a cigarette outdoors at 15 feet, never.

Jeremy88

May 24, 2016
If a smoker respects me (like smoking 5 m away from me), I do not find it annoying. And I don't like such intolerance to smokers

Respectful smokers are great!!!! I find the amount of smokers in cab and sosua (mostly expats) disgusting but i am allergic to smoke so it does bother me when smokers are around but much less here bc of the airy places.
Why anyone would think it is ok to smoke around people eating is beyond me, the wife and i glare for that crap and if smokers are blowing it in your face etc...

If you are respectful then who gives a f*ck what the glarers think!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mr. AE and I are both ex-smokers. I do notice when someone smokes nearby, but it doesn't annoy me. He [Dominican], on the other hand, is awful. Cigars are even worse.

Chirimoya and AnnaC have seen him in action, he's impossible. We were eating outdoors at a restaurant in PC, and around the corner [was wrap around porch seating] two guys were smoking cigars. After changing a couple of tables, he left our group and went to eat in another restaurant alone.

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
I smoke when I drink in the US and during DR trips I tend to smoke more than usual and drink more for that matter.

I observe what I consider to be polite rules when smoking. I never smoke near someone eating because I don't like smoke around me when I'm eating. I walk outside a bar to smoke.

I hate cigar smoke so that is my gage. I don't like someone smoking a cigar next to me but I don't care about one 15-20 feet away. I've always been of the opinion that someone complaining about smoke from 20 feet away are going to be complaining about something or they have an axe to grind with smoking in general. I just ignore them or move 5 feet further away next time. At a certain distance, I just ignore them though. There are some people that will complain about smoking when it is within eyesight because they don't think anyone should smoke.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I quit smoking 20 years ago. It does not bother me if people smoke in my car if the windows are down. When I pick someone up if I see cigarettes in their pocket I suggest that they light up if they get the urge.
Der Fish

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm a smoker. If someone is polite and asks that I refrain while they eat or do their thing, I can meet them halfway. Respect and tolerance begets respect and tolerance in return.

If however, someone voluntarily chooses to occupy a seat in an establishment where there is an ashtray on every table that person should have an inkling that smoking is acceptable at that location and may even be encouraged. Becoming condescending and righteous in such a location is self-centered. I have seen places where smoking is not allowed. Those who are anti-smoking are free to patronize those places as I feel free to patronize the places that allow me to indulge in my habit(s).

The DR is not North America, and one cannot come here and expect everything to be the same as at home. As for the locals, if smoking is a big deal to them, they should contact their elected officials and get a law to backup their intolerance for a legal product. For me, it is a nice change to be able to enjoy that after dinner cigarette without having to stand outside 10 meters from an entrance. If the situation were to change and I could not smoke in most establishments, I'd spend a whole lot more time doing my thing at mi casa just like I did when I lived back home.

Reformed smokers are the worst. Most get over it, eventually, but some continue to harbor resentment for their own choices forever. They need to look within themselves for the source of their intolerance.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
sosua is a good option.....

Yes, also a great place to experience the culture.
As an ex-smoker, I am semi-tolerant of second hand smoke.
It is is in my face, while I am eating, I have a problem.
A bar, I'll go upwind. Now-a-days, people smoke other things.

Rustxko

Aug 3, 2014
Another thing a polite smoker should consider is the amount of paid for hair around. You don't want to make it stinky.

Walking outside isn't a big deal to me but I'm not a very heavy smoker. I don't smoke in my home, in my cars, or at work. It's pretty much limited to beer drinking time in the evenings.

I'm a smoker. If someone is polite and asks that I refrain while they eat or do their thing, I can meet them halfway. Respect and tolerance begets respect and tolerance in return.

If however, someone voluntarily chooses to occupy a seat in an establishment where there is an ashtray on every table that person should have an inkling that smoking is acceptable at that location and may even be encouraged. Becoming condescending and righteous in such a location is self-centered. I have seen places where smoking is not allowed. Those who are anti-smoking are free to patronize those places as I feel free to patronize the places that allow me to indulge in my habit(s).

The DR is not North America, and one cannot come here and expect everything to be the same as at home. As for the locals, if smoking is a big deal to them, they should contact their elected officials and get a law to backup their intolerance for a legal product. For me, it is a nice change to be able to enjoy that after dinner cigarette without having to stand outside 10 meters from an entrance. If the situation were to change and I could not smoke in most establishments, I'd spend a whole lot more time doing my thing at mi casa just like I did when I lived back home.

Reformed smokers are the worst. Most get over it, eventually, but some continue to harbor resentment for their own choices forever. They need to look within themselves for the source of their intolerance.

Ahh yes is is very self centered of non smokers to not want your discussing habit in their face! Smokers 100% are the self centered ones blowing that **** everywhere not caring about others. Absolutely amazing to me that you could actually think that way.