55 years ago today...

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
May I politely ask if you feel that you have anything else in common with Trujillo . I am not referring to his violent criminal side but to other aspets of his personailty and life

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
interesting article about some trujillo's policies that are still observed in DR. it mentions concordat (signed in 1954), the construction of palacio nacional (it's quite stunning on the inside), creation of banco de reservas and banco agricola as well as other buildings and institutions. policia nacional was also formed during trujillo reign (1936).
the article also mentions the fact that trujillo changed the constitution seven times. which i see as a bit of a criticism of recent administrations that also fiddled with it.
http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...e-todavia-estan-vigentes-en-el-pais-AK3851534

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Long live el jefe, y que Dios lo tenga en su santa gloria.

Only those too young to know better or a DR1 Johnny-come-lately praise chapita.

Too bad there's no hell. Otherwise, Trujillo would be shoveling coal with Pinochet and Reagan.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Lucifer , I would not put Reagan anywhere near the likes of Trujillo o Pinochet but, in my opinion, the worst in our latin area was the military junta of Argentina . How anyone can lightly drug detained people, and then throw them alive from an aeroplane to the sharks in the sea is beyond me . The Argentine has a history of human abuses..it dominates their history . Trujillo was proably our one real criminal leader but with great charisma ,if his biographies are to believed.