Turn right on red after stop?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
What is the law here? Is it legal to stop at the red light and then turn right if no one is using that lane? does anyone know? I know what the custom is it is to turn any direction even without stopping no mattter how long the light was red. But what is the law?
Thanks
Der Fish

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
What is the law here? Is it legal to stop at the red light and then turn right if no one is using that lane? does anyone know? I know what the custom is it is to turn any direction even without stopping no mattter how long the light was red. But what is the law?
Thanks
Der Fish

right on red after stop...

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Until i was about 40 years old it was referred to as the California law since it was OK in California first and came to the rest of the USA from there.
Der Fish

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Until i was about 40 years old it was referred to as the California law since it was OK in California first and came to the rest of the USA from there.
Der Fish

In the capital some drivers filter right on red and some don't and very few do when there are AMET agents about. As someone brought up on UK rules I am reluctant to cross any stop line on red......but do filter right here on quiet minor intersections at times.

Good OP question.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I had an Amet clear the vehicle in front of me once so I could turn right on red... If I recall correctly, the right on red was added several years ago. Will search to see if I can find anything.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I stopped various times and got honked at :) So now I keep moving. In front of AMET too...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Can you provide written confirmation?

Driving Manual states "Luz Roja.....Significa detencion y espera detras se la linea de PARE" No mention of right filter.

i have no written confirmation, but it is common knowledge.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
Der Fish

You are correct. people called them California stops. People in california would slow down and sort of stop but turn anyway without really stopping completely.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Found it!

Articulo 101
Los conductores que transiten por el carril de la extrema derecha de las v?as urbanas podr?n girar a la derecha con luz roja, deteni?ndose y observando todas las medidas de seguridad y precauci?n, siempre y cuando una se?al espec?fica no lo proh?ba. En tal caso, deben ceder el paso a los peatones que se encuentren en la misma; Se autoriza al Instituto Nacional de Tr?nsito y Transporte Terrestre a reglamentar las v?as en la que se permitir? la intermitencia nocturna y la hora de inicio de la misma,
estableciendo la luz roja intermitente para la v?a secundaria y amarilla para la v?a principal, debiendo tomar toda la cautela debida, hasta detener la marcha si fuere necesario.

http://www2.congreso.gob.pe/sicr/cendocbib/con4_uibd.nsf/0D597C232BB3087405257E0A005C1107/$FILE/Ley_transito_transporte_terrestre.pdf

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Found it!

Articulo 101
Los conductores que transiten por el carril de la extrema derecha de las v?as urbanas podr?n girar a la derecha con luz roja, deteni?ndose y observando todas las medidas de seguridad y precauci?n, siempre y cuando una se?al espec?fica no lo proh?ba. En tal caso, deben ceder el paso a los peatones que se encuentren en la misma; Se autoriza al Instituto Nacional de Tr?nsito y Transporte Terrestre a reglamentar las v?as en la que se permitir? la intermitencia nocturna y la hora de inicio de la misma,
estableciendo la luz roja intermitente para la v?a secundaria y amarilla para la v?a principal, debiendo tomar toda la cautela debida, hasta detener la marcha si fuere necesario.

http://www2.congreso.gob.pe/sicr/cendocbib/con4_uibd.nsf/0D597C232BB3087405257E0A005C1107/$FILE/Ley_transito_transporte_terrestre.pdf

THank-you. Ayunque I cannot read Spanish as much as I wish I could that was clear enuff for me.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
you didn't see anything on the left hand turns did you? in usa many places allow left hand on 1 way streets, can't tell here people do it but don't know if legal.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Has nobody seen the signs at the exits to a DR Airports that states,

All traffic rules in this country will be enforced on a case by case basis. Enjoy your Trip ! :D

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
you didn't see anything on the left hand turns did you? in usa many places allow left hand on 1 way streets, can't tell here people do it but don't know if legal.

Nope but wasn't looking for it either...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If a newcomer to the DR was driving he would think that going straight after red was legal also.