Montana Redonda

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Can I take a regular type car ( not 4 wheel drive) up this hill? On a upcoming trip to Miches we want to go up the Mountain for the view.. Has anyone driven the road up or just gone with a tour? Thanks..

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It is possible - I've seen normal cars as well as 4-wheel drives up there.
However, we spoke to the owner last week and he said the track was in worse shape due to the recent rains, so maybe not advisable at the moment.
Note also that it is a very narrow track and it's best to make sure no one is coming down before starting the ascent.
When we've gone there were people at both ends to signal that it is all clear.
If you do go, please report on the experience.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
what about renting a 4 wheel/dune buggy for a bit extra fun !!??

That's exactly what I was thinking after Chirimoya gave the good answer.. BUT, I already OWN a car, feels like throwing away coin to rent... I have front wheel drive but only 4cyl...

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
We went up it in a base model Kia economy rental car. It made it but it had to work for it. Besides it was a rental and we didn't own a bolt in. It was in March that we went and it was rough but it was passable.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That's exactly what I was thinking after Chirimoya gave the good answer.. BUT, I already OWN a car, feels like throwing away coin to rent... I have front wheel drive but only 4cyl...

it's all about the trip, the adventure, the fun...
not about riding your own car....

lighten up, laff a little, smile..... HAVE FUN !!!
Take a cooler of liquids.....

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I did the entire area last year and actually wrote a report here about it ,,From Bavaro or from Higuey to Miches it is easy ..but from Miches all the way to Sabana de la mar there is an army of trucks and dozers and earthmoving equipment and road making equipment..My Ford Edge had to take it slowly . As for going up the mountain at Miches that was noot too bad when I did it but I would definitely not do that short trip now,,even for the sensational view. It really is a very special and wondeful part of the DR .