passport expiring and visiting DR

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
good day. I m leaving for the DR from New York July 14 and just noted my US passport expires September 12. I know some places they want at least 6 months remaining in the passport. Does anyone know if i ll experience an issue trying to get in to the DR or must I renew? I m trying to put of the extra hassle until I get back..

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
If you pay for the expedited renewal service you will get your new passport back in less than 2 weeks.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
The DR only requires your passport to be valid for the duration of your stay.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
That is correct as long as you are returning before it expires no big deal. I have flown down with only a couple of weeks on mine before

Bob K

Jan 7, 2016
Depends on the airline you use to travel. Some will deny boarding if your passport is expiring in less than 6 months. Check with them to see their policy.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
If you pay for the expedited renewal service you will get your new passport back in less than 2 weeks.

Play it safe and follow the above advice. If you travel a lot you can have extra Visa pages added for no charge at time of renewal.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Very true about which airline you use. For example AA states your passport must be valid for 6 months after the date you enter the foreign country. Avoid the possible hassle, get it renewed.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Play it safe and follow the above advice. If you travel a lot you can have extra Visa pages added for no charge at time of renewal.

The US isn't adding any more pages any longer. If you run out you need to get another book.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The US isn't adding any more pages any longer. If you run out you need to get another book.
Thanks, good to know. I renewed mine last year and got the extra pages free of charge. I guess more money can be made having to buy a new book.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Not that I doubted you but I was curious when this went into effect.

IMPORTANT: Effective January 1, 2016, The U.S. Department of State no longer issues additional visa pages. This service has been discontinued to enhance the security of U.S. Passports and to adhere to international passport standards. Applicants in need of additional pages in their valid passports must apply for a passport renewal by mail or, in the case of a passport issued to a minor, obtain a new passport. Frequent travelers can apply for 52-page passports instead of the regular 24 pages for no additional cost.

My understanding is you CAN get the extra pages when the passport is issued but you can NOT add additional pages to a passport already issued........... ????????????

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Not that I doubted you but I was curious when this went into effect.

IMPORTANT: Effective January 1, 2016, The U.S. Department of State no longer issues additional visa pages. This service has been discontinued to enhance the security of U.S. Passports and to adhere to international passport standards. Applicants in need of additional pages in their valid passports must apply for a passport renewal by mail or, in the case of a passport issued to a minor, obtain a new passport. Frequent travelers can apply for 52-page passports instead of the regular 24 pages for no additional cost.

My understanding is you CAN get the extra pages when the passport is issued but you can NOT add additional pages to a passport already issued........... ????????????

I wonder if the 52-page version is available with a renewal or duplicate as well. I need to get a duplicate for the DR visa process; it takes longer than I'm usually in the States and they can simply mail it to me when they're done.

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
If you have to ask, pay the expedited fee and get a new passport. It's just one less thing to worry about before, during and after your travels.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm with you Curly.... expired passports aren't on my list....like halitosis........

I renew a couple of months early to avoid problems.
And thanks to advice here, learned that Canada has returned to 10 yr passports.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
This one is online which will make it easier for those who can't get to an office like Miami or elsewhere.

But the MIA tip is a good one for Floridians or FL visitors